Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Sep 19, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Norwegian hand luggage! Updated: Caution! At airport now - pls help!

UPDATE:
Yes they are weighing everyone’s luggage at the gate. They are combining cases AND personal items, if they are significantly over 10kg, they are charging people.

There is a man here with 20kg combined weight and they are making him pay the excess. He’s saying he doesn’t have he money. The people that work here are threatening to deny him access to the flight unless he pays.

We are on ok - no extra charges but maybe this could be a warning for other people.

Original post:
I’m at the airport now.
We are flying with Norwegian air. I didn’t realise the weight allowance for hand luggage is 10kg combined between your case and personal item. We are about 12.5kg combined each.

The person checking us in said that it was ok, but if our luggage is weighed again we will need to take things out.

I’m feeling a bit stressed about it...
My partner is saying that surely they won’t have a scale at the gate, but I’m not so sure.

Can anyone help me with what to expect? Are they likely to weigh our luggage again?

Can we just shove the heavier things in our pockets?! Argh!

🙏🏼
Thank you!

Edited at 09:19 AM.
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBB
Apprentice Imagineer

I have never seen anyone get their cases weighed at the gate. If necessary just wear something from your case.
DisneyBB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Could you buy something from duty free and ask for a large bag and then put some stuff in the duty free bag so it doesn’t count?

I always do this with Easyjet as you are allowed a handbag or a suitcase. Buy something small at the airport ask for a large bag and then put handbag inside to walk on the plane.

I’ve never flown with Norwegian but assume that would work.
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Also, I’ve never seen any airline weigh anything at the gate.
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by nats1211 View Post
Could you buy something from duty free and ask for a large bag and then put some stuff in the duty free bag so it doesn’t count?

I always do this with Easyjet as you are allowed a handbag or a suitcase. Buy something small at the airport ask for a large bag and then put handbag inside to walk on the plane.

I’ve never flown with Norwegian but assume that would work.

EasyJet do not have a weight restriction for hand luggage. As long as it is the correct size the weight doesn’t matter. The 10kg limit for many other airlines relates to all hand luggage combined so making an airport purchase would just increase the luggage weight.
Usually they are keen on boarding as quickly as possible so wouldn’t waste time weighing at the gate. We flew with Tui recently and I was worried ours were slightly over weight. No one even looked at the cases. I can’t ever remember seeing scales at the gate either. Could you not take items out to wear or put in your pocket.

Hope you get away without a problem and have a great trip.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Update in first post...

They have made at peace three people pay extra. Be careful people!

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I am a bit surprised because they usually want to board as quickly as possible. If this man has an allowance of 10kg and has taken 20kg that is taking the mick though. It will be because of people like him they are having to do it.
My bag was over because I collected my Boots toiletries order airside. It wasn’t much over and my bag wasn’t checked but I will bear in mind now in future.
Glad you were ok with your bags.

I will be super careful next time as we are going Ryanair !

Edited at 09:35 AM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I am a bit surprised because they usually want to board as quickly as possible. If this man has an allowance of 10kg and has taken 20kg that is taking the mick though. It will be because of people like him they are having to do it.
My bag was over because I collected my Boots toiletries order airside. It wasn’t much over and my bag wasn’t checked but I will bear in mind now in future.
Glad you were ok with your bags.

I will be super careful next time as we are going Ryanair !
Yes exactly... it’s cheeky isn’t it! There were a few other people who weren’t so much over that were charged.

And as for rushing boarding... our flight time is in 2 minutes and they have only boarded people with special assistance, premium and priority. No movement for about 20 mins now... 😬😮

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

If you all follow the rules then you won’t have a problem. If you break the rules then you pay, it’s simply that.It also says bags may be measured at the gate.
Clearly stated on their website here.

norwegian/uk/travel-.../hand-baggage/

Edited at 10:08 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

This seems fair if hand luggage is way over the 10kg limit. This isn’t just Norwegian - a few years ago I saw this happening at the Virgin check in - a woman had a huge carry on bag and had to take some items out and leave with a friend who had dropped her off as she didn’t want to pay excess baggage charges.
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List