Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
On my estate as a rule of thumb, if you stand outside looking at the house, the fence on the right hand side is yours.
This may be true in a lot of cases but with us the house next to us is the other way around (there back garden runs parallel with our front garden) but the "ownership" of the respective sides was marked using compass directions removing any doubt.
Old 20 Sep 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

I was recently searching for house insurance and noticed that a lot of policies have restrictions about trees over a certain height (can't remember what it was now - not particularly high) within 5 metres of the house.

Might be a way for you to open up a conversation with them about it?
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

We have got this monstrosity and as you can see ended up building a fence around it! We’ve got no chance as the property isn’t lived in and although the owner lives just round the corner the state of his house and garden tells me that’s it’s not even worth bringing up.

I would love to be brave enough and cut down the branches which overhang out patio as the birds love to sit in the tree and take aim! 🤬
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
I was recently searching for house insurance and noticed that a lot of policies have restrictions about trees over a certain height (can't remember what it was now - not particularly high) within 5 metres of the house.

Might be a way for you to open up a conversation with them about it?
This is one of my concerns because the tree is only about 6ft away from our property.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

There is a law in the U.K. with regards to right to light.

gov.uk/government/public...ights-to-light

It’s possible that you may have a case under this if talking with your neighbour doesn’t yield anything.

Unfortunately, you’re going to have to talk to them. It’s causing damage, and doesn’t sound very safe. Obviously you can cut any branches hanging over your fence, but remember you have to give them back. That will probably cause a conversation with them anyway once they notice.

Good luck!
Old 21 Sep 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Do we have to by law hand back any over hanging branches that we cut off?
I cut them back but didn’t return them. I do still have them though as the green bin has not been emptied yet.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

We have a tree that has grown all of a sudden. It is not near any property and the corner of the back fence and was here when we moved in. A neighbour put a note through our door with a number saying it’s a lovely tree and we love the birds but would you mind if we chopped some down on their side.
We contacted them and said yes. We did ask if they needed anything or would like us to put the cuttings in our green bin . They did the job and I was pleased how we were approached.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

I think cutting it and then lobbing the offcuts back over the fence is too passive aggressive.

If you are going to trim it on your side you need to tell them in advance what you are going to do and ask them what to do with the offcuts.

Diplomacy is called for on all occasions like this as people can be very touchy about their property - even if it's just twigs.

One of the main reasons we moved house was because of this sort of issue. I just couldn't understand why my old neighbours were so unreasonable.

Edited at 01:45 PM.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

We have trees at the bottom end of our garden and in the back garden all the fences are ours, on the front we just have responsibility for the fence on right looking facing the bungalow... small garden but responsible for lots of fence panels.
Slightly complicated by the boundary actually being a small wall, the developers actually put the fence about 12 - 18 inches inside the wall, on the back the trees are on this piece of ground, the house beyond this doesn’t touch the trees (from what has been said doesn’t touch their garden either) but I think they believe the land is theirs...
Last year we had new panels put in, the old ones were a mare to get out due to rotting, overgrown ivy, brambles etc... but because the trees were thinned a little on our side they used some bright yellow rope to tie this flat yellow circle of stuff to the trees to cover up the tiny space in the branches... bizarre to say the least...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 20, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sotagals View Post
I think cutting it and then lobbing the offcuts back over the fence is too passive aggressive.

If you are going to trim it on your side you need to tell them in advance what you are going to do and ask them what to do with the offcuts.

Diplomacy is called for on all occasions like this as people can be very touchy about their property - even if it's just twigs.

One of the main reasons we moved house was because of this sort of issue. I just couldn't understand why my old neighbours were so unreasonable.
Am sure someone was fined for lobbing the offcuts over into the tree owners garden!

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List