Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Nov 20, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Whilst everybody has been applauding and praising the NHS (And I have worked on the Hospital Wards including Covid throughout), for me the true heroes lie elsewhere and have gone largely unappreciated.

Yes, Supermarket checkout staff, but also Refuse Collectors, Police and many, many others that have almost invariably at times been well, well within the 2 metre rule and at a time when a lot less was known about Covid with its lethality.. or otherwise to the average person.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I work in retail and this pandemic has brought out the worst in some people, luckily not the majority but some people are rude, swear at you, accuse you lying , I can go on.
Pay it forward when you are out and about doing your essential shopping, like MH let someone go before you if they only have a couple of items , say please and Thankyou and when it warrants it and it has time message the store manager and give some positive praise, it might just make someone’s day.
I’m not back for another couple of weeks... non essential retail , if shops open up again around 2nd it’s gonna be manic in some places, tempers will be frayed... I’m not really looking forward to it and usually I like the build up to Christmas at work
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Sorry to hear this MM & hope you find a new job soon
My Primark Manager son has often been sworn at ☹️A young lady told him where to go when he told her that her toddler son couldn’t use the staff toilet & to use the shopping centres one instead, she replied back” well I’m gonna let him do it on the floor then 😳”
Nice customers
I’ve had to wipe wee off the floor before when I was a manager. It didn’t really bother me that a kid had maybe had an accident, what did bother me was the customers ( all female ) didn’t move 1 inch out my way as I was on my hands and knees beside them.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

My DD, DS and his GF all work in or for 2 major supermarkets. They have had to cope with allsorts, of course I hear about the horrible customers who blame them for everything from running out of loo roll to "stupid one way systems" and other rules that have, rightly or wrongly, been put in place with the best of intentions by local or head office management.

There have also been nice stories of customers who have gone out of their way to be polite and thanked them for being there for them, so not all bad.

If any of you have non Dibb friends please let them know that a smile, ok not so easy with masks, or a nice thank you really does make a big difference to their day and if their preferred shopping has been substituted it's the shop staff and not the drivers fault. I get the frustration of missing items and once the customer has had their rant at my lad they normally calm down with "it's not your fault".

Edited at 06:19 PM.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I used to work in retail and there’s no way I could do it again. One of my biggest hates was when I used to get asked a question, I’d give a confident answer and then they’d ask for a male colleague to double check (I worked in a electrical retail store), clearly they didn’t think I knew what I was talking about.

I’ve also had very snooty customers who just didn’t know how to speak people in any other way than the way you’d speak to something you’ve stepped in.

Also I once ran into a man’s foot with my cage and he really kicked off. It was a total accident and of course I was mortified, but he went off on a rant and started screaming and shouting, calling me all sorts of names, it was awful.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Whilst everybody has been applauding and praising the NHS (And I have worked on the Hospital Wards including Covid throughout), for me the true heroes lie elsewhere and have gone largely unappreciated.

Yes, Supermarket checkout staff, but also Refuse Collectors, Police and many, many others that have almost invariably at times been well, well within the 2 metre rule and at a time when a lot less was known about Covid with its lethality.. or otherwise to the average person.
Delivery Van Drivers (All cargos included), have kept the UK open.

Unsung heros

Disney332
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Fluffypenguin View Post
Also I once ran into a man’s foot with my cage and he really kicked off. .
I once pushed my rubbish cage and thought it was stuck on a bit of cardboard. I gave it a shove and next thing I had knocked a wee woman into my butter fridge. I was absolutely mortified... I can still see it happening as she’s sat there surrounded by blocks of lurpak and tubs of stork.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I once pushed my rubbish cage and thought it was stuck on a bit of cardboard. I gave it a shove and next thing I had knocked a wee woman into my butter fridge. I was absolutely mortified... I can still see it happening as she’s sat there surrounded by blocks of lurpak and tubs of stork.
I feel like an awful person because I did read that and laugh. Although I would like to point out that if I had done the same I would have been mortified too and I wouldn’t have laughed (unless the woman laughed). 😂
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

I find that my dark blue uniform turns in to a cloak of invisibility at 8am each morning when the store opens.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Delivery Van Drivers (All cargos included), have kept the UK open.

Unsung heros

Disney332

Lorry drivers delivering raw materials to and finished goods from factories to shops, with very limited options for getting fed and watered as most truckstops and service stations were either closed or partially open with very restricted facilities available.

Factory workers who have been working flat out to supply those stuck indoors with record numbers of tea bags, crisps and choccy biscuits also deserve a mention.

Bus and train staff who got the "critical workers" to and from work, the list is endless. I thought it was great that some of the "less glamorous" jobs and workers had their moment and would like to think they will be appreciated more going forward but I doubt they will
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List