Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Nov 20, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Michyloulou View Post
No yet, but following with interest as this is something we want to do asap. We want to add 2 extra bedrooms and a bathroom (we have 4 children- 3 of them teenagers now who need own space), but we only have 3 bedrooms.
We have 5 big kids age 15-24 and 5 bedrooms, hence the loft conversion! My 20yr old son came home from uni last year, and has the lounge as his bedroom. I need another proper bedroom.

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
This is a local company to me and they dominate the market in Cardiff.

They have some great photos on their website for those wanting ideas.

Bear in mind the fastest way to have a conversion is to cover the entire house in scaffolding and tarps and take the roof off.

galleryloftconversions/
Yep, we are replacing the whole roof. Having a roofing business we would be crazy not to! We have ordered the tiles and they are on a 5-6 month waiting list, so should be here around Feb/March.

Originally Posted by MillyMoo View Post
I would love to have our loft done, but we have so much stuff up there!
Are we the only ones to have a loft full of teddies, baby clothes, xmas stuff etc? Where are you going to put it?!
We will have eaves storage. We also have a walk in wardrobe/cupboard in our current bedroom that my son won’t need to use as there’s fitted wardrobes all along 1 wall and he doesn’t have that many clothes! We have a big full height cupboard in our laundry room and also have a double garage. We kept the front of our old double garage when we converted it to a room too, for storage. I think I’ll be using every nook and cranny to store things.

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Son has one, a large bedroom and bathroom added to a victorian semi, its lovely. Like all modern loft conversions it gets very hot in summer. Building regs mean they have to have a lot of insulation and that means they heat up.

My son had it done by a company who do lots around here, they are a group of northern guys who work here all week and go home at weekends. They have established a great buisness in an area where they can charge more and have great demand.

The good thing is they have converted multiple lofts in the area so know the houses and the pitfalls, they are great skilled tradesmen.
Yes, we will definitely be having air con up there. My friend has air con in her loft and says it is a must. We have air con in 2 bedrooms already and it makes such a big difference.

My husband has quite a few customers that do the same thing. They live up in Liverpool and surrounding areas, travel down to London Mon-Fri then go back up for the weekend. Lots of roofers, builders etc do it. I had no idea!
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Maybe I will share our conversion on here, if people are interested?

So far we have had the plans drawn up and agreed with the council.
We are having 3 Velux windows in the front and a dorma across the back.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Maybe I will share our conversion on here, if people are interested?

So far we have had the plans drawn up and agreed with the council.
We are having 3 Velux windows in the front and a dorma across the back.
Be great to see a before picture and then weekly updates please.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Be great to see a before picture and then weekly updates please.
Ok, I’ll crack on with that when we get started. I have the drawings/plans and some photos of the outside (had to supply them to the council). We will be taking everything out of the loft over the Christmas holidays and storing it in our TV room. I’ll get some photos of the landing, empty loft etc and I’ll upload it all when we are ready to start
Old 20 Nov 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d love to see your project, sounds very similar to ours. We’re also thinking 3 velux at the front and a large dormer at the back.

We have plans and planning permission for the house we’re moving to as the current owners we’re going to do it but decided to move instead. They have already put in the staircase up to the loft so I guess that’s one big job done.

Their plans are bigger than we’d need though so we’ll likely scale it back. Currently permission is to remove and raise the roof, 5 velux, 1 large dormer with 2 Juliette balconies with a large bedroom with 2 en-suites, 2 dressing rooms and a nursery. I don’t think they liked to share so wanted a toilet each 😂

We just want bedroom, en-suite and dressing room with eaves as storage so a smaller project with hopefully no need to raise the roof.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

We converted our loft as part of an extension 8 years ago and it is now our bedroom with en-suite. We have a larger dormer at the back and skylights. It does get vey warm in summer but is also cosy in the winter - low tog duvet all year round! I love our bedroom - light and airy and roomy and it feels like a sanctuary away from the rest of the house. There was some empty space next to the bathroom which we had boarded and a door put on so we have somewhere to store suitcases and Christmas decorations etc.

If we did it again I would put two sinks in to save waiting but that’s not really a big deal!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I’d love to see your project, sounds very similar to ours. We’re also thinking 3 velux at the front and a large dormer at the back.

We have plans and planning permission for the house we’re moving to as the current owners we’re going to do it but decided to move instead. They have already put in the staircase up to the loft so I guess that’s one big job done.

Their plans are bigger than we’d need though so we’ll likely scale it back. Currently permission is to remove and raise the roof, 5 velux, 1 large dormer with 2 Juliette balconies with a large bedroom with 2 en-suites, 2 dressing rooms and a nursery. I don’t think they liked to share so wanted a toilet each 😂

We just want bedroom, en-suite and dressing room with eaves as storage so a smaller project with hopefully no need to raise the roof.
Yikes, that is one very large loft/house you have! Living where we do, we could not afford a house that size. Land is at a premium round here. No point having Juliette balconies here unless you want to sit and watch the double decker busses go by 😂

We aren’t lowering the ceilings as it’s too big a job (5 bedrooms plus bathrooms under the loft) and aren’t raising the roof either, due to power lines in the vicinity. We are working with what we have and will have 2m inside head room. It’s the easiest and cheapest option for us.
Old 21 Nov 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
We converted our loft as part of an extension 8 years ago and it is now our bedroom with en-suite. We have a larger dormer at the back and skylights. It does get vey warm in summer but is also cosy in the winter - low tog duvet all year round! I love our bedroom - light and airy and roomy and it feels like a sanctuary away from the rest of the house. There was some empty space next to the bathroom which we had boarded and a door put on so we have somewhere to store suitcases and Christmas decorations etc.

If we did it again I would put two sinks in to save waiting but that’s not really a big deal!
Sounds lovely! We are definitely having 2 sinks, that’s at the top of my list (and my husbands). I am looking forward to the space in the bathroom as we have a small en suite now. My son can’t wait to have our en suite as he hates sharing a bathroom with his brothers and sister.