Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 15 Aug 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Toy Story 3 (review)

After TS2 you’d think the only way was down but pressure on, the third installment delivers again with another great story full of humour and a solid story as the toys this time get stuck in a daycare centre. This one develops the idea of toys having more complex backstories and personalities and in some cases being as unpleasant and manipulative as humans, losing some of the innocence in the process.

Again I loved rewatching this. The sequences with Ken (‘I’m not a girls toy’ ) in his dream house and dressing room are my favourites of the series, really wish there was more of Barbie and Ken in Toy Story overall but I’m guessing Disney/Pixar were limited by the licence granted.

Disney+
Another strong story as with 2
The definitive ending to the series, tying down all the significant loose ends
Escape movie sequences work well
Ken

Disney-
Ken still does not have his own spin-off franchise

Rating 9/10 another great entry in the series. I personally think 2 was just a little bit better but this one gets extra points for a moving ending that formed the natural end to Toy Story so they both end up on the same rating. On to watch part 4 then
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Toy Story 4 - For Forky’s Sake (review)

If 3 was the natural ending to the series, what is 4? Watching this for the first time the obvious conclusion to me is it’s a cash in. I wish they had instead focused on individual character based movies in the TS world and retained creative integrity.

Where to start with this? The plot and the toys move all over the place on a much bigger canvas, mocking the illusion that the toys could do all this in broad daylight without being spotted. The relative sidelining of characters like Rex who feature heavily in 1 and 2 in favour of less well developed characters from 3 just doesn’t work and I wasn’t sure about the reintroduction of an older character as a Mad Max style action hero.

Disney+
Stunning animation effects, notably the rain in the high res format, can really see the difference of the extra years of technological advancement
Vincent and friends are well used as creepy henchmen

Disney-
It’s terrible IMHO
As a cash-in it’s up there with the last couple of Shrek films
Not sure if it was intended to make most of the new characters extremely annoying but they are
Forky = Jar Jar Sporks
Feels like a different movie completely even the signature music is largely missing despite Randy (YgaFim) Newman still being on the credits.

Rating 4/10 I get why they made this, I rea$lly do. But I still hate it, it’s a mess. An unfitting addition to a near perfect trilogy. I suppose with the delayed timing it brings another generation of kids into the story which as a parks fan helps to keep things like Toy Story Land alive for that much longer. Advice for those kids is to go back and watch the first 3
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
And so begins the inevitable live action Husky movie review sequence (I know not again right). We own a Husky Border Collie cross and as the first movie trailed all 3 of those types of dogs, watching it was an inevitability when DW gets involved. and it got worse from there via the recommendations engine

Snow Dogs (review)

So, this is a classic Cuba Gooding Jnr movie in the sense that it’s not exactly great but it would be a whole lot worse if he wasn’t in it. He’s a rich Miami dentist who ends up in fish out of water territory up in Alaska. At one stage I thought the plot was heading in a Cool Runnings-esque direction but in the end it was more about Cuba and his unlikely father.

Disney+
Daft but entertaining in the main
If you like dogs, cute dogs
A genuinely funny Michael Bolton joke

Disney-
You’d definitely have to be in the right mood to enjoy this

Rating 6/10 a little better than expected, certainly enjoyed this all the way through. You would have to pay me a lot to watch it again.

Togo (review)

The second in our Alaska based husky movie marathon. Togo is 2019 released (new for Disney+), based on a true story set in 1925 about a Husky with Attitude turned racing champion. Willem Dafoe is in it which is a good start, he’s perfectly cast as this film’s craggy old mountain dude. The actress playing his wife (Julianne Nicholson) also turned in a solid performance. That said, while it may be true, the story is not a whole lot of fun.

Disney+
Classy Willem Dafoe more suited to this sort of role than a space goblin/water goblin etc.
It’s a true story
Nice reveal about the statue in New York at the end 'Balto!'

Disney-
Too many ‘HE’S GOING TO DIE’ moments left the nerves frazzled by the end
A bleak watch at times, 1925 with a lockdown and a virus on the loose, too topical!
It gives away too much in the trailer.

Rating 5.5/10 we found this to be hard work as a story, puts the dog-loving viewer under a lot of stress!

Iron Will - Whoa! Gee! What a picture (review)

You wait years for a Husky movie review to come along and 3 arrive at once. I’m starting to pick up sledding commands by day 3 here in Husky Week.

This features a young Kevin Spacey, Brian Cox (the Scottish actor not the Mancunian spaceman) and John Terry (not that one although DW did suggest that lol) in another movie about someone getting some huskies and racing them around Alaska.

Iron Will was the best of the husky movies yet and the first one that I’d consider watching again at some point. It’s another period piece set between the wars and it evoked the time well.

Disney+
Pleasingly traditional Boys Own style adventure
Properly nasty villain
Brought the race to life very well, made it entertaining to the end

Disney-
Excuse the darkness but Spacey comforting a 17 year old boy looks very wrong these days

Rating 7/10 to my immense surprise this was pretty good. It may be cinematic snow-blindness but this was inspiring, well put together and a satisfying journey of a movie.

White Fang (review)

This is a slight departure in husky week because it’s about a dog that is at most only half husky (the other part being wolf), but there are also regular huskies in it so it makes the grade. We’re up in North America in the snow again, this time during the gold rush.

White Fang is an adaption of a well known book of the same name by Jack London, the sort of adventure story I tended to read as a kid albeit I don’t recall ever reading White Fang. There are several other versions of this out there but this is the 1991 Disney live action movie starring Ethan Hawke. There’s also a sequel which I haven’t seen on Disney+ yet (shh don’t tell DW )

I didn’t think this was great all things considered. It isn’t terrible but it definitely dragged. This story was far more about the young man than the dog which irritated my other half and all the bits around the two of them forming their bond etc. were rushed as they tried to cram too many story checkpoints developed over time in a chunky novel into too little time (a bit like how I find the first Harry Potter movie - Diagon Alley - check, chocolate frog - check, ginger friend - check etc.). As a result I found it not as moving as probably it is supposed to be but it could just have been the mood I was in on the day.

Disney+
Fundamentally a strong story
The dangerous natural world and sketchy towns of the gold rush era are believably recreated

Disney-

Took to much of the runtime to get to the key man-dog relationship
The supporting character flips personality a little too completely around the halfway point
Dog-fighting scenes are a hard watch for animal lovers

Rating 5.5/10 pretty average stuff as far as I’m concerned, especially as it’s based on a well loved book that I suspect is a lot better than this.

Eight Below (review)

In a major departure, this one is about huskies pulling sleds at the South Pole Polar expedition time as a scientist tries to find a unique piece of meteorite out of season in the most hostile conditions.

Not a bad movie, long-ish at just over 2hrs but well made and a quality piece of work which must have cost a fair bit to make. And he cheeky young actor in a supporting role as a cartographer? No matter what he does, Jason Biggs will always be Jim from American Pie.

Disney+
Races into the story with a minimum of fuss, always clear what is going on
Well made, produced and acted - the ‘canine actors’ are great too

Disney-
Sets up like a disaster movie which makes for a stressful watch
At one point there’s a slightly ropey CGI seal which jars with the rest of the production quality

Rating 6/10 this is a solid movie with an excellent opening 30 mins or so. After that we found it a little long (and bleak for a lot of the runtime) but that’s more a personal preference. If you enjoy a more serious kind of adventure story you might really like this.

Disney+ Husky Movie Top 5:

1. Iron Will (7/10)
2. Snow Dogs (6)
3. Eight Below (6)
4. Togo (5.5)
5. White Fang (5.5)

I have no desire to watch White Fang 2 - make it stop now please!

Edited at 11:18 PM.
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Latest Watchlist:

In Progress
Muppets Now!
The Imagineering Story (5/6 watched)
Zenimation
Coco (watched/review pending)

Planned
Incredibles 2
The Jungle Book (original animated version)
Lady and the Tramp (the new live action one)
Moana

Need to add some more as have got through a lot this last week. At some point will re-watch all the SW and MCU titles but not just yet. DD and I did briefly try Black is King but it was a little arty for us, might come back to it after the live action Lion King if it is indeed based on that.
Old 17 Aug 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Coco (review)

Having watched similarly themed animated film The Book of Life with DD when it came out I couldn’t coax her to the cinema to watch the later released Coco. It’s a shame because I now realise Coco is way better, a charming musical tale set around Mexico’s Day of the Dead festival. It centres around Miguel, a young boy with musical dreams and his cobblers family. Coco herself is an elderly relative and the story wraps around her in an unexpected way. This is a classic Pixar adventure with an adorable street-dog sidekick and plenty of heart.

Disney+
The colours recreating a Mexican town are beautiful, visually a treat
Miguel is a charming character
Reminds children to be nice to their relatives
Loved the spoof of Disney Park entry gates

Disney-
Not a negative as such but with more memorable songs this could have been pushing a 10/10

Rating 8.5/10 a lovely movie, great recommendation and one of Pixar’s best for me. You’d need a heart of stone not to shed a small tear at the end. Hoping for a Gran Fiesta Tour reskin in EPCOT now.

Zenimation (review)

This is a series of short ‘mindfulness’ clips aimed presumably at parents of young children and stoners. They are based around themes like ‘water’, ‘nature’ and ‘discovery’ with short, dialogue-free animation clips from Disney movies curated roughly in line with their themes.

Some of the episodes work better than others. Some don’t seem to stick to their named theme very well and they’re all just a little bit more random than you’d expect. I watched this so you don’t have to.

Disney+
Personally I am into the whole ambient thing so the idea of the clips without dialogue works well and I would happily have this on in the background
The treasure trove of animation Disney are able to pick from is unmatched, hard to mess it up

Disney-
While the animation is great this seems to lack any real flair in the curation, the mixing is more wedding DJ than Dr Dre
I couldn’t find a way to easily identify the clips I didn’t recognise. This should be added to the subtitles as occasionally something unfamiliar will catch the eye but you’d have to search to find it

Rating 5/10 blurring the line between cheap filler and making new art from old content. Destined to be played on a loop to babies worldwide. Get a gun director with some true creativity in for a Season 2 as opposed to the intern and this could actually be magical.
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
I've now been dragged into the horrors of watching Once Upon a Time!
Old 18 Aug 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
I've now been dragged into the horrors of watching Once Upon a Time!
Disney+ comes with a price, dearie!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Disney+ comes with a price, dearie!
I knew I should have read that contract before I signed it!
Old 23 Aug 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars (May the Ferb Be with You) (review)

This is the first of two Phineas and Ferb crossover episodes, the other being Marvel (to follow). This is a kids cartoon, not reviewing the regular series because there are so many and it’s good but not great, mainly worth watching for Agent P and his alternative theme tune that’s sometimes at the end. In this one the boys and Candice get involved with the original Star Wars story.

Disney+
I liked a couple of the songs, the first one (with the boys on Tatooine) is very good
Agent P well cast as a rebel spy
Sith Roast!

Disney-
The attempt to weave two parallel stories together (original and adding P&F) doesn’t really work IMHO
Weak middle section
Missed opportunity, this could easily have been better (see Marvel below)

Rating 6/10
a love letter to Star Wars which is funny and clever in parts but ultimately it's just okay

Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel (review)

(Spiderman) “Aunt May, Phineas and Ferb are making a crossover” Another just under one hour TV special but this has a more Phineas and Ferb oriented story with Dr D stealing the powers from Ironman, Hulk, Spidey and Thor and the boys helping to get them back. If you like the humour of the MCU via Thor Ragnarok, Guardians etc. this might be for you.

Disney+
Some genuinely hilarious moments
Includes a real Stan Lee cameo, and an unusual one where he comes back after the initial scene
Story works much better than the Star Wars one

Disney-
Lacks any of the Marvel actors on the voice work (Stan Lee cameo aside)

Rating 7/10 hits the mark and worth a watch for Marvel fans even if you’ve never seen P&F.

In a slight change of theme - Mary Poppins watched last night review to follow later. Hmm Phineas and Ferb in SuperPhinyFerbandPerryDoofenisatrocious if only

Edited at 10:03 AM.
Old 23 Aug 20, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

I can’t see anyone has mentioned Pixar in real life too you. A few don’t work, but some are very sweet and funny
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List