Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Sep 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Advice on Las Vegas as a base

Hi. I’m after some advice/views on our trip for next year. We’re doing a round trip, starting in LA->Vegas->Grand Canyon->Anaheim

I’ve got hotels booked for LA and Anaheim, but am having a wobble about Las Vegas. Our intention was to use it as a base to explore Red Rock Canyon, valley of Fire and Hoover Dam before moving on to Grand Canyon south rim. We’ve allocated 3 nights in the itinerary, but I’m wondering - do we stay on or near the strip, or stay somewhere else?

We’ve never been to Vegas before, but not sure if we’ll be missing out not staying on the strip. We’ve got 2 kids (15 & 13).

Any views/thoughts?
Old 17 Sep 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

It depends what your kids are like I guess. All I can tell you is that my kids at that age Vegas was their favourite place in the USA (that they’d visited) for the sights, lights, shopping...
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

For a first time visit I would stay on the strip if you are only there for a few nights.

With teens maybe somewhere like NewYorkNewYork as it has a good vibe, reasonably priced and not too far off centre.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’d stay on the strip- it’s an ‘acquired taste’ though, I can only take so many days personally.
I’ve no real interest in going to Vegas again but have booked 4 nights next summer. The kids I’m sure will find it interesting for the two days we will be there and on one day I’m driving to South Rim and back on a full day trip out.
Now I do want them to see the Grand Canyon, and South Rim is the best place to go.
I’ll have had enough then and we are then going to Palm Springs.
Old 17 Sep 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Personally I stay the strip you get the full on effect loved staying on the strip
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely stay on the strip, easy access then to the strip's entertainment
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We’re looking at going in 2022 and doing a very similar trip with teens aged 16 & 14. None of us have been to Vegas, I’ve been to Reno, which obv isn’t on the same scale. Been looking at the New York New York which is recommenced by a few on here. We will do 3 nights, I think that’s enough! Have a read of Juliab’s trip report for last summer!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 01:13 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

I didn't really take to Vegas BUT I think you should do the Strip and get the full on 'Vegas' experience. I'm really glad I got it to experience it and I enjoyed it for what it was even if it wasn't for me if you know what I mean. I think teens would love it especially at night with all the lights and the ability to easily go from hotel to hotel, go to shows, pop into the touristy shops, see the fountains etc.. Getting a room with a view of the lights is fun too for all ages!

We stayed at the Bellagio ans toured the other hotels. The New York, New York would be fun for teens with the roller coaster. The Mandalay Bay has a mammoth sized pool area if they are into that.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 06:04 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Thanks everyone for your responses. I had hoped to get a condo style room with kitchen and laundry facilities, but with 2 beds rather than a sofa bed - doesn’t seem to be happening. I’ve got a list of hotels that I need to narrow down:

New York New York
Caesar’s Palace
Cosmopolitan
Elara (but has sofa bed)
Venetian (but think will be out of price range)
Bellagio (again likely to be out of price range)

I’ll keep an eye on prices, hopefully they may start to come down early next year.
Old 18 Sep 20, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I had hoped to get a condo style room with kitchen and laundry facilities, but with 2 beds rather than a sofa bed - doesn’t seem to be happening. I’ve got a list of hotels that I need to narrow down:

New York New York
Caesar’s Palace
Cosmopolitan
Elara (but has sofa bed)
Venetian (but think will be out of price range)
Bellagio (again likely to be out of price range)

I’ll keep an eye on prices, hopefully they may start to come down early next year.
Try Elara. That’s where we are booking for the laundry! Mrs YT insists on it for at least part of the trip (used to DVC one beds). And we must also have a fridge. Drives me nuts these requirements. Had booked summer but cancelled. Finally got a refund from Hilton so have forgiven them for feet dragging.

Edited at 07:35 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List