Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 30 Oct 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DorsetSeasider
Proud to wear my Ears

Appropriate Car Size?

Hi all, looking for some advice on hire car size. We are 6 adults heading out to Florida in Nov 2021 with Virgin, we have selected an 8 seater to give use space for baggage, but we also have to accommodate a mobility scooter. The scooter comes apart and folds down, but does anyone have a view on how much boot space there is likely to be?
DorsetSeasider is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Have they given you any example cars in the group you've booked? I presume it's an 8 seat SUV?

It's the third row of seats that cuts into boot space, how many cases will you have?
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DorsetSeasider
Proud to wear my Ears

According to the Virgin website, it is a 'Toyota Sienna or Similar'. We are likely to have 6 large cases, 1 per adult plus a variety of other bags, although obviously that is purely for getting to and from the airport.
DorsetSeasider is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

gtcarlot/data/Toyota/Sien...137004394.html

I'd maybe be prepared to put at least two people on ME or in a taxi with 6 cases and a scooter to fit in. On the way home Disney Springs check in will be a big help.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DorsetSeasider
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for the response Dr.JumaJookiba, we will have to mull it over, looks like we can fold down one of the seats and pile some of the bags in there, might be a case of jenga!
Old 30 Oct 20, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Are you with Virgin Holidays for the car? I assume you have added on the Insurance as it's not included normally and is an add on.

Just a quick hint work out what they are charging you for the car upgrade and the Insurance and you may find it will be cheaper to ditch the car off the booking and get one DIY
That way you can get a bigger one for probably less.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DorsetSeasider
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Are you with Virgin Holidays for the car? I assume you have added on the Insurance as it's not included normally and is an add on.

Just a quick hint work out what they are charging you for the car upgrade and the Insurance and you may find it will be cheaper to ditch the car off the booking and get one DIY
That way you can get a bigger one for probably less.
Yes this is all packaged through Virgin, will have to see if it can be unpicked, although not really sure we want anything bigger as it is just the first and last journey that will be troublesome so may just uber etc.
Old 9 Nov 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
pinseekers
Gone all Goofy

Hello,

we went with 6 adults in 2013. we went for the 12 seater. it meant we had lots of space for luggage and also meant people could stretch out a bit when travelling to/from parks. also was handy for space for snacks and bags etc each day.

i would have said the 8 would have been tight but probably doable.

ross
pinseekers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Regular visitors on here will tell you that there are always people at car hire desks or in the parking garage arguing about how there is no luggage space when they have booked say, an eight seater van and then have 8 cases plus carry on etc which doesn't fit.

If you are travelling around and want to stay together, then you need a bigger van. If you are staying at WDW property, you could put a couple of your group on the Magical Express with most of the luggage.

You might also want to look at the cost of two smaller cars against one big van which will give you a bit more space (boot plus spare seat) and also a bit more flexibility if you want to split up.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List