Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Nov 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

If people want to see the scale of the current charging network (no pun intended), Zap-Map is great for that:

zap-map/live/

It even keeps track of which chargers are in use and which are out of service.
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

As someone who has been involved in BEVs and PHEVs development, mist manufacturers have been working on alternative energy for at least 8 years. In that time, battery development had come on in leaps and bounds and I see this continuing. However, there are major issues with battery cars. Major one is battery producers and lack of supply. I know tgat a Korean company will be building a mega factory in the U.K. second us availability if raw materials and scarcity if them.
Those living in flays or okd terraced houses will require alternate ways to charge. One idea is charging points on lampposts
Major oil manufacturers have already taken big stakes in battery companies, and yiu will see charging stations appearing from BP, Shell etc.
Lack of charging points is another big unissued. There are areas of the U.K. that have none or very little charging points. It’s a bit like the roll out of 4G where vast parts if the country had no coverage. Living in these areas,myoyre better off with a PHEV until a better infrastructure is in place.
However changes are coming. Just a couple of years ago, the only charging points near me were on the motorway services, a 30 Mike round trip,but this year, our local Tesco’s has put in 4 stations and even the local McDonalds now has one!
In ten years time we might see charging plates like phones wireless points on main roads, but what is Aldo coming us hydrogen powered cars vans etc. Toyota gas run a fleet of taxis in London on hydrogen to test it out. The Japanese seem to see this as the way forward.
Then again, in places lije London, yiu don’t heed cars and if you need a long journey, hire a car.
You will see free charging points dissapearing and home chargers on different rate per K~W so tgat jyst lije with petrol, the station collects the tax for the government

Interesting times. Fir he who changes he’s X-ray every three years uts only 3 cars away...
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

This is what we have Clapham Common (Wandsworth) - the first one is a terraced house with bays and the road facing the common (called west side where I live) has a point on every lamp posts so plenty of availability (I got soaked taking these so must love my DIBB family lol - and I had to down load them at home because we have no 3G let alone 4 G around here ! )

Edited at 03:22 PM. Reason: Typos
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If all the country goes electric for there vehicles where will the government get the lost revenue on fuel sales from

Revenue from fuel duties now stands at £28 billion a year, which is 1.3% of national income

Also I don't suppose part of the reason the UK and America invaded Afghanistan was for

$1 Trillion Motherlode of Lithium and Gold Discovered in Afghanistan

Isn't lithium used in all car batteries

Edited at 03:41 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I drove from central London to Leeds without charging a few weeks ago- do you need more distance than 220 miles per charge? Some of the Tesla’s are now about 300 real world miles.
My car is the most roomy I’ve ever owned including a Merc CLS Shooting Brake which is huge. Model X is the biggest car on the market.
Most car makers are making SUV sized electrics now- so I’m not sure where the electric cars are small comes from?
How long does it take to charge. We went on holiday to padstow last year. Approx 300 miles. I’m assuming we’d need to charge it part way, how long would that take? I just worry that we Ebony have the infrastructure in place. At present you can drive from anywhere to anywhere in the UK without fear of running out of petrol. How long before we can do that in electric vehicles. What about driving holidays in Europe. I think it’s a good idea I just worry about the implementation
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
kenzo
Trading Disney Pins

I love the idea of electric cars but at the moment they are far too expensive and not viable for what I need my car for, fingers crossed now this announcement has come out the technologies keep coming
Oh I need a 4x4 for driving around fields checking on stock and its needs to be strong enough to pull a decent size trailer with stock in it, I think I would have heart failure with the current prices of them getting the slightest bit of mud on them never mind a boot from the occasional animal
kenzo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post

This is what we have Clapham Common (Wandsworth) - the first one is a terraced house with bays and the road facing the common (called west side where I live) has a point on every lamp posts so plenty of availability (I got soaked taking these so must love my DIBB family lol - and I had to down load them at home because we have no 3G let alone 4 G around here ! )
massive project to install them in all streets in the uk that need them... lampost ones seem the better option but surely to far spaced out to be practicle

also how do you pay to charge on these ?

assuming you have to pay?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
massive project to install them in all streets in the uk that need them... lampost ones seem the better option but surely to far spaced out to be practicle

Do what the cannabis factory gardeners do!

Run a cable from the light - free electricity.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post

Just counted and we have approx one lamp post for every 12 cars
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
So including my van we have 3 cars in our household and we park on our own property so you would think running a power connection would be easy, but the thing is our fuse box has no external wall and the parking spot is over 100m from the house so how do we get power down there.
Next thing is in 2040 when there is no petrol or diesel cars the battery packs on cars from 2030 are now starting to lose their charging capacity so need either new batteries or scraping what is the low paid worker or single mum scraping by going to buy to get to the shops or take their children to school. At the moment you can pick up a banger for a few hundred pounds this will never happen to electric cars.
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List