Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

So sad for all the employees who will lose their jobs my heart goes out to them.
An awful end to an awful year
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Very sad for those staff affected. On the occasion I went to my Local Debenhams in Uxbridge it was a big store and usually had more staff than customers and I even commented to my wife that it must be running at a loss.
Same with the one in Lincoln .

There’s rarely many customers in there , I’m surprised it’s lasted this long .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Sad times for all those involved, there will be no High Street left something seriously needs to be done about online shopping 💰💰
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I lay money on the fact that the Amazon board have been planning for over a year as to how they intend to fill the gap as these Dept Stores and others collapse.

I have no doubt that they will launch a huge fashion part of their website with the ability to take advantage of reduced return fees thus enabling different sizes to be bought and return at a reasonable cost those that don't fit.

I give John Lewis 12 months at the most.
Thereby lies another issue Mr T

Many retail partners subscribe to the mantra of 'vanity sizing' ie: a size 12 in Next from the 1980's is now a size 6 or 8 a size 0 was ridiculed a few years ago as being impossible but now size 4 is a regular sight in the main fashion stores.
So people who have always bought a size 12 will now have to buy a range of sizes to get the right fit.

Thus impacting further on the enviroment with more deliveries, more lorries on the road and more shipping containers bringing the items in.

The worlds waters are full 24/7 365 days a week of vessels bringing in consumer goods to feed our needs.

Retailers also take the hit on damaged items which are returned as many people have no respect for items delivered which they may not have paid for , cigarette smoke damage , clothing worn and returned , pet damage and torn clothing is way more common than most realise.

The retailer has to claw that money back so it comes down to us the consumer.

Other risks are the constant demand for fast fashion and where will the suppliers go to look?
Countries with huge populations of expendable staff working all hours for a pittance in dangerous environments .

No-one is a winner in this , and yes I would hold my hand up to the hypocrisy of buying fast fashion I doubt there are many who wouldn't .

Edited at 12:37 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
This is devistating for many, none of these shops are ones I have been to for many, many years so honestly I cant say i will miss them personally but it is awful news for the high street.

Sadly from what I read this is down to poor senior management not adapting with the times though I could be wrong.

Another awful part is the possible big hole in the pension fund. Businesses should never be allowed to dip into other peoples money, this does not belong to the buisness it belongs to the current and future pensioners. There should be laws against this and the fat cats should go to prison and have their assets stripped to fill the gap.
I’ve thought this about the pension funds surely an independent company should look after the money 🤔
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Not been into Debenhams for some time, but last time i did many seemed to have Virgin Holiday outlets in them. Did they still exist and if so what will happen to them next.

Also Tripp were just in Debenhams, wonder what will happen to that brand now.

Edited at 12:40 PM.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The person that my heart really goes out to is ‘Sir’ Phillip Green. He must wonder where the funding for his next Super Yacht is going to come from as he transits shortly from Monaco to his £30k a night vacation on the Maldives for Christmas whilst ensuring that all his assets are safely registered in the tax free haven of Monaco.. and in his wife’s name. Perhaps he will also find his pension plot raped?.. More likely he will remain totally uncaring and unaffected as he looks back on his life and his knighthood.

Oilier and more slippery than the most oily, oily thing.

My thoughts are with all those thousands of people affected.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 02:12 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
Gutted. Love Debenhams. Where is it all going to end ? So sorry for the staff, it's all a mess.
Sad day - whilst I don't shop at Debenhams - I've never liked it, many do and many were employed there, so whilst it doesn't make any difference to me it is a sad day for the UK high street

To answer where is it all going to End? We already know that.

Amazon and Tesco ruling the world and everything we buy coming direct to us in one of their branded lorries. We aren't far away from that ...
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Dont forget Home Bargains and B&M

Who have literally seen profits explode during this pandemic
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
JL, M&S (non food) and Next are the ones I wouldn’t be surprised go. JL are even closing (for good) part of their flagship store on Oxford Street and converting some floors into office space to rent (yeah who will want to rent office space right now in Oxford Street ? But a friend of mine is working on the project so I wish him well)
When my own children were small I used all 3 stores a lot for children’s clothing , the quality and price were good

Out of the 3 the only one I use now for children’s clothing is M&S, I can get a beautiful little girls dress for £20 which washes and lasts well .

Next quality is nothing like it was years ago and pricing ridiculous, I picked up a simple dress 2 weeks ago £28 . It wasn’t anything special just the sort of thing my granddaughter wears daily .

We’ve just lost Oldrids in Boston

Locals were up in arms it’s closed but it always empty . They were too expensive for most . A toy I bought my granddaughter last year for Christmas £30 dearer in oldrids than Smyths . Most things were £4/5 more than other stores that’s a lot for a family when they’ve a few children to buy for .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List