Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 May 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
flutterby
slightly serious Dibber

Avis Excess

Please could someone clarify for me. I have just booked a Full Size SUV with Avis, on the BA site and used some of our Avios points too.

It says the following is included - Unlimited Miles, Tax & Surcharge, TPL,CDW, Customer Facility Fee, State Surcharge, Tire & Battery Fee, Vehicle License Fee and we get one additional driver.

But then under terms and conditions it states
"There will be an excess applicable in the event of the rental vehicle being damaged or stolen. Any optional extras and surcharges, including additional cover to reduce the excess amount, may be available to purchase locally"

Does this mean we will need to pay extra when there or are we fully covered? I thought if we had TPL and CDW then we were Ok but this seems to suggest otherwise!
Old 11 May 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
Please could someone clarify for me. I have just booked a Full Size SUV with Avis, on the BA site and used some of our Avios points too.

It says the following is included - Unlimited Miles, Tax & Surcharge, TPL,CDW, Customer Facility Fee, State Surcharge, Tire & Battery Fee, Vehicle License Fee and we get one additional driver.

But then under terms and conditions it states
"There will be an excess applicable in the event of the rental vehicle being damaged or stolen. Any optional extras and surcharges, including additional cover to reduce the excess amount, may be available to purchase locally"

Does this mean we will need to pay extra when there or are we fully covered? I thought if we had TPL and CDW then we were Ok but this seems to suggest otherwise!
Assuming you have hired on the BA U.K. site you have all the insurances you need in hiring for Florida. Florida is a no blame insurance state, in other words your own insurance pays for any damage.
The excess you are reading about is if you are hiring a car in the U.K. or EU when you do have to have excess insurance.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

In short, nothing more to pay over what you’ve paid for already.

We booked a car through Avis/BA and although they offered a load of paid extras once there, you don’t have to take them if you don’t want to.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
flutterby
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you both, that's what I was hoping to hear
Old 13 May 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
burney555
I want to go now!

I was about to ask the same question. Glad to hear this.
burney555 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

As a double ticked box for you, on my car hire back in October, booked exactly the same as yours I contacted Avis and checked how much the Third Party Liability (TPL) cover is and they informed me it was up to $1 million as this is the really important one to have...make sure you join BA Executive Club (Free) and Avis Preferred (Free) get your booking linked and go straight to kiosk up in the garage hand over your booking pick up your keys and off you go...
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post
flutterby
slightly serious Dibber

Already were BA executive member and have now joined Avis preferred. Have contacted Avis to get the booking linked but still waiting. How did you get it linked?
Great news to hear we can go straight to garage though
Thanks
Old 14 May 19, 06:47 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
Already were BA executive member and have now joined Avis preferred. Have contacted Avis to get the booking linked but still waiting. How did you get it linked?
Great news to hear we can go straight to garage though
Thanks
Mine was pretty instant, but to be honest, I signed up for preferred before I booked. I’ve heard some people say that it’s taken a couple of days to link though.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

OP
Check your booking tomorrow, if its not linked a quick call to BA on 08444930747 then option 2 open from 0730 to 2000
It is so good to look at all those poor souls at the desk waiting to do battle with the upgrade sales patter ! and just stroll over the road up one level and off you go...
PS don't forget to check your ticket from the kiosk that it states ZERO on the bottom as you should have a receipt from BA stating "Fully Paid"
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
flutterby
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks Gasman66. I contacted Avis via their app and they have now linked the booking and I can see it on the app. Also got them to resend confirmation email as I never received one and just to confirm that on there it does say zero by the excess.
So looking all good and plan to go straight to garage as suggested and avoid that desk