Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Aug 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stevelovesfl View Post
I'd go for a few days longer than planned then you have a few days to do some indoor stuff like malls first. Then you'll get more acclimatised to the heat. We plan to go in August next time we go and will probably do ~17 nights.
Didn’t think of that but a good idea Steve 👍
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Kasalic
Excited about Disney

As mentioned, the humidity is the difference. It was hotter in degree terms when we went to Turkey in 2008, but it was a dry arid heat, whereas Florida hot and wet, very wet when we went in 2012.
June 2015 - 14 days - Silver Creek, Clermont
Sept 2016 - 14 days - Gulf Coast
January 2019 - 16 days - Kissimmee
August 2019 - 7 days - I Drive
Kasalic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Stevelovesfl
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Manc1979 View Post
Didn’t think of that but a good idea Steve 👍
Some years you can use the BH at the end of August to save a days holiday from work too.
Stevelovesfl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
toonmadlad
Excited about Disney

I've been in August a few times now, it isn't the heat that's the problem, its the humidity that gets you, best plan is out early (rope drop), use AC (shops) when you can, plenty of rest breaks, drink plenty of water, mid afternoon take a few hours out and head to the room/pool, clean clothes on ready for the night (still really warm)
Old 29 Aug 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

We usually go February or October and last year we went early September and I was really worried about the heat and humidity but we actually loved it. We went out early to the parks, came back for pool time and went back to the parks in the evening which was our favourite seeing them at night. The worst part was going back to the car park at lunch time it was red hot. If you are going to Universal Studios it is well worth buying the refillable mugs. We didn’t have much storms or rain but were there for hurricane Dorian.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gp1602
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
I haven’t ever felt anything close anywhere else to summer in Florida.
It’s so hot and the humidity is a killer .
Edit- (That’s a lie , Arizona and Vegas in summer are like a walk in an oven but much less humid)
Definitely noticed it more last August and we always go in the summer hols.
Have been to Turkey, most of Europe and currently in Spain where we had 40 degrees the other day and it still wasn’t as stifling as Orlando.
Summer our only option for Florida as Easter just does not appeal to me so it can’t be that bad really...😆
I agree with this totally. I can cope with Spanish dry heat far easier but as we can only go in August that’s the only time we have been and will go again. It’s sticky hot but you will cope. Spend the afternoons in the pool... and browse the stores frequently as you walk about ...
Gp1602 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

I've never minded the heat. We have been in February and August and we have also been to Death Valley in August (44 degrees!) and as everyone says the killer is humidity but you're on holiday! I wouldn't want to be working out in it but when the time is your own on holiday you can set your schedule so it's not much of an issue.

Related but does anyone love that first blast of heat when you step out of the airport? For me it always hits me (literally) that we're on holiday and reminds me of a very funny scene from Absolutely Fabulous where Eddie and Patsy are walking through the airport and telling Saffy to be very careful of the heat as she isn't used to it and then -bam- they two of them faint as soon as they walk out of the airport! You do think the first time you go and step out into that wall of hot damp air that you won't last 5 minutes but you acclimatise very quickly.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List