Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Nov 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MichelleS View Post
We pre booked all our hotels as there were certain ones we wanted to stay in such as the wigwam hotel in Holbrook,the great Texan and we wanted to spend time sightseeing and not worrying were to stay
We also did detours to Vegas ,monument valley and lake havasu .
Been to vegas 3 times n lake havasu but will look into monument valley, thanks, also the hotels u mentioned
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I love road trips in the US and always now go over 1000 miles on any vacation.

I have looked at Route 66 on many occasions, researched and even purchased a guide book with a view to doing it. There are a lot of miles, not all of it is on the route and there is also a great deal of nothing along the 2300 miles? or so. We probably will do it, but whilst we have kids still at home have decided to put it on the back burner.

I have visited Santa Monica and by next summer will have hopefully have travelled from Winslow towards Vegas before cutting North to LV. I dearly want to visit Chicago.

Meantime we have looked at and done alternatives involving planes, trains and automobiles as in my signature. In all of those many adventures, I have always booked all hotels many months in advance. The internet enables this in a way that could never be achieved in the old days of Telephones and Letters.

As others have said, car hire has been pretty much without penalty for us, even when crossing state boundaries on one way trips. Research on the Route 66 shows that it is an exception. Perhaps a compromise would be a drive from Santa Monica to LV and then a flight to Chicago, missing out a great deal of nothing in between.

My pretrippie in my signature shows a similar tactic in that I will drive from San Francisco down the PCH to Burbank before then dumping the car at Burbank and flying to Tucson (cutting out 503 miles and 8 hours of nothing). We are then driving to Pima, Tombstone, Winslow, Grand Canyon, LV before dumping our car and flying home. The cost of those car hires combined has come out pretty much identical to keeping the car throughout and driving the whole lot. (We are still driving 1250 miles in 15 days).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I love road trips in the US and always now go over 1000 miles on any vacation.

I have looked at Route 66 on many occasions, researched and even purchased a guide book with a view to doing it. There are a lot of miles, not all of it is on the route and there is also a great deal of nothing along the 2300 miles? or so. We probably will do it, but whilst we have kids still at home have decided to put it on the back burner.

I have visited Santa Monica and by next summer will have hopefully have travelled from Winslow towards Vegas before cutting North to LV. I dearly want to visit Chicago.

Meantime we have looked at and done alternatives involving planes, trains and automobiles as in my signature. In all of those many adventures, I have always booked all hotels many months in advance. The internet enables this in a way that could never be achieved in the old days of Telephones and Letters.

As others have said, car hire has been pretty much without penalty for us, even when crossing state boundaries on one way trips. Research on the Route 66 shows that it is an exception. Perhaps a compromise would be a drive from Santa Monica to LV and then a flight to Chicago, missing out a great deal of nothing in between.

My pretrippie in my signature shows a similar tactic in that I will drive from San Francisco down the PCH to Burbank before then dumping the car at Burbank and flying to Tucson (cutting out 503 miles and 8 hours of nothing). We are then driving to Pima, Tombstone, Winslow, Grand Canyon, LV before dumping our car and flying home. The cost of those car hires combined has come out pretty much identical to keeping the car throughout and driving the whole lot. (We are still driving 1250 miles in 15 days).
You sound very like us, even when we go to irlando we end up in miami, keys, Everglades etc. For few days, we have driven LA to vegas n back twice n LA, Grand Canyon, san fran, peach, santa monica but we really want to do it all, even if a lot is long a boring, diesnt bother us as long as we can stretch our legs, 2 sons gave own families now daughter 19 still at home, she did the west coast trip with us in 2016, we were worried she would hate it with all the driving but she loved it, shes been to Florida 10 times but says west coast was her best holiday, not sure if she will want to come this time but I know she would enjoy it if she does
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney babe View Post
You sound very like us, even when we go to irlando we end up in miami, keys, Everglades etc. For few days, we have driven LA to vegas n back twice n LA, Grand Canyon, san fran, peach, santa monica but we really want to do it all, even if a lot is long a boring, diesnt bother us as long as we can stretch our legs, 2 sons gave own families now daughter 19 still at home, she did the west coast trip with us in 2016, we were worried she would hate it with all the driving but she loved it, shes been to Florida 10 times but says west coast was her best holiday, not sure if she will want to come this time but I know she would enjoy it if she does
We are up to 10 since 2005 and have cancelled West Coast in both March and August of this year. There is a whole lot of the USA to see.

After our next one, it will be into Boston in August (again) and then hitting all of the New England States before heading across to Buffalo (Niagara) , Chicago and then Detroit.

We are also looking at Texas to Key West, although we have done everything from Mobile onwards before (and I have been to New Orleans alone).

The possibilities are absolutely endless! Orlando? I have done it to death.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney babe View Post
We’ve done 2 trips west coast in the last 4 years and are looking again although hard to get excited at present . Most of the main places on the coast we have done plus , Yosemite , Vegas, Palm Springs and possibly one of the best Yellowstone followed by Lake Tahoe. Looking at doing Yellowstone again and possibly up to Vancouver.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List