Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Workwear /plumber apprentice present ideas for son

Just wondering if we had any plumbers/ tradespeople on the dibb, my 17 year old son has started an apprenticeship as a plumber and I’d like some useful present ideas for him for Christmas, he’s already mentioned he’d like some Snicker work trousers? There appears to be a huge selection of these, do they do a slim leg? Also any other items you could recommend, socks, gloves, a soft shell jacket? Anything to keep him warm and still looking trendy 🤦 Never realised that some work clothes brands are more desirable than others! He’s working on new build sites so often outside. Thank you 😊
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I would think about essential v desirable.

So:-

Hard hat - maybe they supply it though

DeWalt Barstow trousers as they come with all the built in padding for the knees etc

Good safety boots - Not cheap sadly

Is he a shorts Guy? If so they now do really good Tradesman's shorts.

Then you come to tool belts. I could never get on with them as every time you bent down or knelt the tools snagged on your legs. However they are really popular.

Letter Punches so he can stamp his tools with his initials - Nothing is safe on site!

Tin of quality barrier cream.

Finally think of one tool he will use all the time such as a pair of grips and buy a top quality brand. A good tool will last a lifetime.
I am still using tools I bought when I started my Apprenticeship in 1970.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Id get him a big bag, as in about 6 years time he will need it to hide all his cash in 😂🤣😂🤣 dont think ive ever met a skint plumber or sparky. Good luck to him 👍

Colin
Old 23 Oct 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I would think about essential v desirable.

So:-

Hard hat - maybe they supply it though

DeWalt Barstow trousers as they come with all the built in padding for the knees etc

Good safety boots - Not cheap sadly

Is he a shorts Guy? If so they now do really good Tradesman's shorts.

Then you come to tool belts. I could never get on with them as every time you bent down or knelt the tools snagged on your legs. However they are really popular.

Letter Punches so he can stamp his tools with his initials - Nothing is safe on site!

Tin of quality barrier cream.

Finally think of one tool he will use all the time such as a pair of grips and buy a top quality brand. A good tool will last a lifetime.
I am still using tools I bought when I started my Apprenticeship in 1970.
Great advice
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Nike base layer stuff both my boys who work in the power industry so out side swear by it and thick workwear socks both prefer long socks as they wear long safety boots
And as Mr T says good grips
And both my boys go through loads of handcream and face moisture as the weather takes a real toll on them
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Really good knee pads. Might not make a huge difference now, but in 30 years, they will thank you!
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

One of my friends was raving how good Screwfix work wear is. He’s got the shorts and trousers with pockets for tools
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsgiggs
VIP Dibber

engelbert strauss work wear are much better than snickers imo. just bought a pair of scruffs boots on offer for mad for tools, really comfy and light and wont break the bank. Defo knee pads would be the first item.
mrsgiggs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Best advice I can give is get built in knee pads as that way you don’t forget them. You do if you have the elasticated ones that fit on with Velcro.

That’s why my knees are shot to bits sadly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 20, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Really good knee pads. Might not make a huge difference now, but in 30 years, they will thank you!
I agree my knees are shot after years of cabling before I sold out and become a manager