Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Dec 12, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishvixen
slightly serious Dibber

Aer Lingus

Booked our first family trip for December next year and we were hoping to fly Aer Lingus. We would be doing GLA-DUB-MCO.

I know flights haven't been released at all for this time period next year, but looking at the website it appears Aer Lingus won't be flying the GLA-DUB route after 26th October. Now I remember looking at flights earlier in the year and it was the same although flights were then released later.

My husband has called the airline who don't seem to think any flights are released more than a few months in advance...

Does anyone know if the flights will definitely be released and if they will be what is the best way of booking to ensure we pay the most competitive price for the full route with the full baggage allowance?

This trip is getting more stressful than I imagined
scottishvixen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 12, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

I suspect that might depend on what happens with Michael O'Leary's current Ryanair proposal to buy Aer Lingus, and the European Commission's decision in February.
johnb is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 12, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Moodyblue
Imagineer

Hi

Must admit we were hoping to fly with them next October but had the same issue with the Bristol - Dublin connection only showing up to 26th October and we come back 2nd November

I phoned them but to be honest they weren't very helpful, just said they should be flying our dates but didn't know when they would be available...

I ended up booking with United instead flying out of Heathrow via Newark...

Old 19 Dec 12, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishvixen
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by johnb View Post
I suspect that might depend on what happens with Michael O'Leary's current Ryanair proposal to buy Aer Lingus, and the European Commission's decision in February.
OK I missed this completely!

Thanks for the replies. Based on this years flight times, Aer Lingus were working out best, but looks like a rethink is needed.
scottishvixen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 12, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
rudolph911
VIP Dibber

There is a little bit of uncertainty regarding Aer Lingus at the moment. However, even if Ryanair are successful, it is the 24 Heathrow slots that they are interested in cashing in on. Ryanair and Aer Lingus both charge for hold luggage on short haul as it is. Even if the sale goes through I reckon the dub mco flight will still be in place and one of Ryanair or Aer Lingus will still be doing regular short haul from gla.
rudolph911 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 12, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

in terms of route decision i suspect the winter schedule starts on the 28/10/13. therefore they may not just have firmed up times etc in regards to aircraft movement etc as they prob share with another destination. glasgow is a popular route so cannot se it been shelved.
if the whole itinerary is booked on one ticket the 23kg free luggage wil apply.
cant see a Ryanair takeover soon tbh. they only viable option right now is to acquire the irish gov 25% stake to have a majority stakeholding. this was rejected again yesterday in irish parliment.
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 12, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
james weir
Imagineer

Air Lingus withdraw from Dub MCO a few years ago then went back in,Florida traffic
from the UK is well down this year and Monach are cutting back florida flights in 2013
due to lack of demand,United now seem to have the market tied up as they are using
the right size of aircraft to feed Newark hub from regional airports in UK including
Belfast and Dublin,US airlines have a better cost base than UK airlines due to EU regs
james weir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 12, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishvixen
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks agian for the replies. Have some thinking to do over the coming months I guess.

Really hoping still to do Aer Lingus, but have flew United (was before the takeover right enough so Continental) before so happy with the route through EWR.

Just need to speak to the hubby and see what his thoughts are
Old 19 Dec 12, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
akv2010
Imagineer

Originally Posted by james weir View Post
Air Lingus withdraw from Dub MCO a few years ago then went back in,Florida traffic
from the UK is well down this year and Monach are cutting back florida flights in 2013
due to lack of demand
,United now seem to have the market tied up as they are using
the right size of aircraft to feed Newark hub from regional airports in UK including
Belfast and Dublin,US airlines have a better cost base than UK airlines due to EU regs
There is little surprise demand is down. Thomas Cook, BA, Virgin all want over 1k each for a return flight. In contrast, United, AA and Delta are charging less than £550 each - no wonder these American Airlines are cashing in and getting all of the customers - a few hours layover in exchange for saving over £450 per person.
[SIZE="2"]6th Feb 15 - 2 nights in Miami, 7 night WC cruise on NCL Epic, 2 nights in The Keys, 2 nights in Cocoa Beach and 2 nights Fort LauderdaleRadisson @ Parkway 2007, DLP 05, 07, 08, 09, 11, HGVC @ Seaworld, Kidani & OKW - Oct/Nov 10, PORR Royal Room, Encantada @ Kissimmee, Dolphin Beach @ St Pete's Beach. Disney BLT - April 2012, Oct 13 - Dallas, PORR, DCL Fantasy with Autism on the Seas (W. Caribbean), BLT, Daytona, BLT
akv2010 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 12, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshinetours
Excited about Disney

We were hoping to do Southend to Orlando next October but same issue in that flights not released for Southend to Dublin leg

Like Moodyblue we ended up booking with a two night stopover in New York for under £550 a head
sunshinetours is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread