Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 31 Jul 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Taking photos is part of my holiday. My DSLR, even if it stays on auto, is part of my relaxation. So whilst I take photos on my phone too yes, camera comes too!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i buy phones for the camera abilities, so always have a half decent phone camera on me, but i've stopped taking the DSLR, as it just never came out with us as it was too big and bulky. the last few years ive taken my canon EOS-M compact mirrorless camera. i have a nice low light lens for it as well as a zoom, so take it out if i'm going somewhere i need either zoom or low light... so an airboat tour, or trip round a safari park, or an evening event like HHN

everywhere else, phone camera is king (i have a pixel 2 right now)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just bought a Panasonic Lumix G9- so certainly yes, it is phenomenal. You cannot make movies like this on a phone (very good editing skills also required, I love sitting on Lumafusion on my iPad Pro- I am not this good though by any means!). However the camera still produces awesome stills and video even in my amateur hands. Like Wanye I back it up with a Pixel 2 (won a photo comp recently with a photo taken on that) and a Gopro Hero 7 Black.

Lumafusion on iPad is a phenomenal editor also. With my iPad Pro it just churns through 4k 60fps whilst most desktops including my 4 year old iMac cannot even handle it. Even the iPad 6 running it handles 4k 60 no issues.

Just need to sell my Lumix TZ100 now I have bought this new one. I hardly used that but its a cracking camera also.

Edited at 06:57 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Yes, on our last trip I got the RX100 Mk3 as a park camera to save having to take my SLR around, and after using that I regretted not taking my SLR.

As good as the RX line is its not a patch in real shooting as an SLR with good glass in front of it.

That said if I had to choose between a RX and a camera on a phone then the RX would win.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I have bought a new camera as I didn’t want to bring my SLR. Went for a mirrorless Sonsy A6000. It takes nice photos. But my daughter has taken some cracking shots with her iPhone 6. She has a great eye and always has the phone in her hand. I’ve missed a few getting my camera out of my bag that she’s got because she was prepared.

It’s made me question whether I needed the camera to be honest.
I think 90% is having a good eye for a photo.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I have bought a new camera as I didn’t want to bring my SLR. Went for a mirrorless Sonsy A6000. It takes nice photos. But my daughter has taken some cracking shots with her iPhone 6. She has a great eye and always has the phone in her hand. I’ve missed a few getting my camera out of my bag that she’s got because she was prepared.

It’s made me question whether I needed the camera to be honest.
I think 90% is having a good eye for a photo.
There is some truth to the saying the best camera in the world is the one you have with you Bev.
Old 31 Jul 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Camera. Cannon.

Compact in shirt top pocket, easy to whip out, SD card storeage, quality amazing. Fantastic zoom, great filming, extra long battery life.

Disney332