Old 14 May 08, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
2 Weeks in Thailand - Thursday 21st Feb - Phuket

Today we got our bottoms out of bed in time for breakfast. Breakfast in fact at this hotel was very good, arguably the best we had experienced yet. However it was a bit random.

It had the usual toast, fruit, cereals etc, there was a man that would cook eggs for you how you wanted them so they were fresh and hot.

Then there were interesting additions like beef stew, pasta carbonara, dauphinoise potatoes, chips, stir fries etc.

Much to Dave’s amusement I decided I was hungry this morning and you never know what lunch is going to be like on organised trips so I had beef stew and potatoes for breakfast, very nice it was too.

We were getting picked up today to go on a tour to the Phi Phi islands where they filmed ‘The beach’. I know very touristy but I loved that film.
The bus was late but when it arrived it was heaving so we had to sit separately. I was right at the back so listened to my i-pod and had a doze until we got to the boat.

The ferry was massive and there were all sorts of different options on this trip so we all had different coloured stickers and were herded around like sheep.

They said it would be a good hour before we approached and that they would announce on the tannoy when we were near so we read for a bit under the big awning.

The tannoy announced that we were going to be going past Phi Phi Ley in a moment and that as we were going back a different way to get photos now as there would be no further opportunity.

We just looked at each other, this wasn’t the plan, we wanted to get off and wander about and swim in the sea etc etc.

I was devastated, turns out that the boat docked at the much bigger of the Phi Phi islands which was chocca full of hotels and shops etc and only sailed past the film set.

We went past it quite quickly and all one side of the ferry was covered in tourists with the biggest cameras ever, it was a huge scrum and I was so sad.

Dave disappeared and came back with a plan. We were dropped off at Phi Phi Don and we all had a lunch in a big hotel there. After lunch we could hire our own longtail boat to take us back to Phi Phi Ley and he would take us right up to the beach and we could do what we wanted.

It wasn’t cheap but we decided to go for it! I had been so disappointed.

We went for lunch with everyone else and were very pleasantly surprised. We were sat at round tables and were brought soup, spag bol, chick wings and a very nice chicken and cashew nut dish.

As soon as we had eaten we were off. One of the nice ladies from the ferry came and told one of the boat drivers what we wanted to do and we were off.

The weather was stunning and we told him what time we needed to be back for, he was to drop us off right next to the ferry.

We were so glad we did this it was paradise.

He took us to a few coves first

The colour of the sea was unbelievable. He took us round for ages so we could take pictures then took us up to the beach.

We had to pay a small fee as it was a national park but the man who came to collect it took photos of us, everyone in this country was so friendly.

All I can say is paradise!

I know I’m biased but isn’t that like a postcard?

I had my cossie on under my shorts luckily so we both jumped in the sea and had a swim.

There were all the signs up from the tsunami; you couldn’t really tell it had happened though.

Eventually it was time to leave so we jumped back in our boat and he took us back to the ferry.

We were in plenty of time, the whole thing was worth every penny.

The ferry took us back to the bus and eventually we were back at our hotel.

We had booked a special buffet meal at the hotel this evening with thai dancing so we got changed and went to that.

It was ok but a little disappointing so we decided to have a last walk along the beach and have a last few cocktails in the ska bar.

When we got there we were so upset because it was closed. We had wanted to go to our ‘locals’ every day and we couldn’t….

We sat on the empty beach and talked a bit about how sad we were that this was so close to coming to an end.

We decided to pack a bit then watched some TV before bed
Old 14 May 08, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Better than a postcard I`d say... total heaven !

Aly
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 08, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ljhleeds
Excited about Disney

Your pictures bring back so many good memories. We were there last year after being in Bangkok to watch the Thai Boxing world championships. My friend won a gold medal and then we flew down to Phuket for 6 days. We had a day trip too but got to stop at quite a few islands. Its amazing.
Old 14 May 08, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Your photos are wonderful.
Old 15 May 08, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaydee
Imagineer

Jaydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 14
All I can say is Wow!

Jaydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 08, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Nice breakfast The photo's are stunning...
Old 15 May 08, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
brody-maddison
Imagineer

brody-maddison's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
It looks perfect... what a lovely day it turned out to be.
Old 15 May 08, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Great trip report, photos are amazing-it looks like paradise!
Old 15 May 08, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List