Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Jul 08, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Sharm-el-Sheikh pre-trippie aka The Quest for the Beach Body

Let me take you on a journey back in time……

21st July 2007
Dudley, West Midlands
Weather – rain. And more rain. And a bit – no, a lot more rain. You may remember this particular day especially if you live in Gloucestershire and the surrounding area. There were people being rescued from their rooftops by the Navy. Cars were floating down the road. Houses were being ravaged by rising rivers that had burst their banks. And we were due to head off down the M5 to Croyde Bay for a weeks’ holiday.

We were:
Sarah (me) – 33
Mark (O/H) – 33
Billy (DS) – 9
Owain (DS) – 5

We had planned to do the usual British thing where you get the kids out of bed at stupid o’clock in the morning in order to try and beat the traffic jams on the motorway. Mark and I got up and went to put Sky news on – the M5 being closed was the main headline followed by footage of the thousands of people who had queued all night to get their hands on the final Harry Potter instalment. We gazed in absolute horror and disbelief at the pictures we were witnessing, from the people being airlifted by helicopters to the emergency services trying to help and elderly person who had become unwell whilst stuck in their car on the M5. Carnage!

We let the kids sleep on as we knew we were going nowhere fast with our only route down to Devon shut. We knew we couldn’t even by-pass the M5 as the surrounding local roads were also under water and in a worse state than the motorway.

I had pre-ordered my copy of the Deathly Hallows so we went and collected that (we had nowhere else to go!) and after a few hours we heard that the motorway had re-opened. We sat the kids down and explained to them that we had no idea when we would get to Croyde and pleaded with them not to do the old ‘are we there yet?’ routine with us. So at around 1pm we set off.

It was pretty plain sailing (no pun intended) until we got to junction 9 and there we ground to a halt. It was stop start and very slow going. Suddenly…….BANG!

I, in my wisdom said, “What was that?”

The kids were screaming in the back. Mark was totally calm as he told me the woman behind us had been using her phone to send text messages for about the last half a mile and that she had therefore ploughed straight into the back of us! We limped off the motorway at junction 10 to survey the damage. And after all that we eventually made it to Daisy Dell, our delightful home for the week, at around 9pm.

Fast forward to April 2008 and after extensive acupuncture and physio sessions I received a cheque for compensation. So we decided to spend it wisely by booking a week at Laguna Vista in Sharm-el-Sheikh whilst the kids were at Butlins with their dad. (Well we couldn’t let the opportunity of a free wedge of cash and no kids pass us by could we?) Besides the sun will do my neck some good as I am still in daily pain.

So that's what we did and we now only have 7 more days to wait until the off. Holiday clothes have been bought, washed and ironed and now all I need to do is get myself a beach body. Hmmmmm...

After having my youngest DS I was rather overweight so I embarked upon the WeightWatchers plan. I shed 45 pounds in 6 months but have never managed to maintain that weight ever since. So at the time of typing this I have 6lbs to lose. In 7 days. I may open a book to see whether I can achieve this. Welcome to the quest to find a beach body. Let's hope it's not too bumpy a ride...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 08, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Look forward to your trippie we are thinking of going to egypt in oct so it will be good to see what its all about have a great time
Old 23 Jul 08, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tartan tink
Apprentice Imagineer

tartan tink's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
You will love Egypt, been there 4 times now. I beleive it is 40 degrees at present so you will melt off those six pound on your first day.
tartan tink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 08, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Looking forward to your trippy, we've were there last month and had a great time. Certainly will go back again.
Bill
Old 23 Jul 08, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Great pre trip report. You won't have floods in Sharm. It was very hot in June when we were there and it's even hotter now. Ah I'd love to be going for a dip in the Red Sea again.

Have fun, but don't touch the dirty money Well if you do remember your antibacterial gel.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 08, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SugarRush
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Have lots of fun and make sure you do a bit of quad-biking in the desert. It's great fun. I was phobic of the sea and i tried diving and it cured me so make sure you at least try it. I lost weight in egypt by swimming and diving so it's good for you It's stunning down there.
Enjoy, can't wait to read your trippie x
Old 23 Jul 08, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all.

Jools, I am fortunate enough to work at a wholesale company who supply all things PPE and health and safety - therefore I managed to 'acquire' 2 anti-bac hand gel dispensers from our warehouse manager. I have read that handling their money is one way to get the dreaded Pharoh's Revenge!

Not too bad a day food-wise today. I'll see what the scales say tomorrow and continue from there...
Old 24 Jul 08, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Actually Saz the Pharoah's revenge is a very effective method of losing weight On the hand... nah just do as you are doing.

Have a great trip
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 08, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List