Old 12 May 08, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
2 Weeks in Thailand - Wednesday 13th February - Chiang Mai

This morning we got up and packed our stuff, we were very sad to be leaving this wonderful hotel and wonderful city but at least we had one more night in Bangkok, unfortunately not at this hotel.

We then went for a quick breakfast, collected our bags and went to reception to check out.

Our bags were loaded into a taxi and off we went to Bangkok airport.

We were flying with Air Asia and as we went to check in we realised that our baggage allowance was much less than with Etihad.

There were back packers everywhere and other tourists throwing stuff away and cramming as much into back packs as possible. We thought we would find out how much it cost and they wanted £8. We decided to pay it and try to distribute stuff better next time as we had more internal flights to come!

Our flight was a bit delayed but it went eventually. It was annoying though to spend a fair bit of a nice sunny day in an airport but a necessary evil.

We arrived in Chiang Mai and were collected by a man with our names on a board as I had arranged transport with the hotel.

Everyone in Bangkok had said it was cold in Chiang Mai but we were pleased to say it wasn’t! Not quite as crazily hot but very nice.

After a short journey we were at the hotel, wow it was so beautiful. We were checked in and given a funny liquid that we weren’t sure if it was a drink or a finger bowl! It smelt of popcorn….

Our room was amazing and had a fantastic view over the gorgeous swimming pool.

We were hungry so we went out looking for food. The waiter pointed us to a restaurant and bar directly across the road. The hotel actually employed a man to help people cross the road as no one stops out there.

We then found our replacement ‘local’. A bar called the Riverside. We didn’t actually realise how great it was at the time though as it was very quiet during the day, we ordered toasties and it was run by an English guy so it did pints of Strongbow, I was a happy girl.

It was right in front of the river and you could watch the boats going up and down.

We went back to the hotel for a swim then got changed for dinner. Before dinner we went for a wander round the night bazaar and I found a gorgeous jade bracelet. I was going to try my bargaining skills but was so cheap I wanted to offer the guy double!

We had decided to go for Thai tonight as we had been avoiding in a bit as its not really our favourite food. However when in Thailand and all that.

The hotel had recommended one so we walked to it, it had a lovely setting outside but despite asking for it to be not too hot Dave’s food was so hot he couldn’t eat it so he shared my duck.

We wandered back to the Riverside and they had 2 amazing bands playing so we watched them with a couple of drinks before heading to bed.

Tomorrow is Valentines Day and we had an interesting day planned
Old 12 May 08, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

reading out of order lol! enjoying the reports
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 08, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

I am reading out of order too! Off to find the 14th now...
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 08, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Hotel looks FAB! Cant wait to see what happens on Valentines now
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 08, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lovely day. I loved Chiang Mai when I visited many many years ago, very different to Bangkok isn't it
Old 14 May 08, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaydee
Imagineer

Jaydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Hotel looks gorgeous

Jaydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 08, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Funkymum
Imagineer

Sounds like you had a good day despite being stuck in the airport
My DH loves Thai food & would eat it everyday if he had his way
Loving the reports

Pop Cen Jan 2006, All Star Mov Sept 2007, POR Sept 2008
DCR DLRP Jan 2009, Cheyenne May 2009, Grand Cal, SSR & AKV Nov 2009, Tuscan Ridge & AKV Aug 2010, AKV & Disney Dream Apr 2011, Dibb Villa & AKV Dec 2011, DCR DLRP Aug 2012 & March 2013, AKV OKW & Disney Dream Aug 2015, AKV OKW POLY VB & Disney CA Aug 2017, PP Cali & Knotts Berry Farm May 2018
SL DLRP Xmas 2018 CB GFV VB Aug 2019, SL DLRP Xmas 2019
Funkymum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 08, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
brody-maddison
Imagineer

brody-maddison's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Your hotel looks fantastic. Another good day.
Old 15 May 08, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Hotel looks lovely.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 08, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
another fab hotel...you have been so lucky. looking forward to the next installment
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List