Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Jun 08, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Don’t touch the money Day 4 Thursday 5th June 2008

We didn’t get up until 9.30 today. It’s was a good job that breakfast is served until 10.30 each morning. Breakfast again was very good and we took our time eating the cooked stuff (Bill) and the pastries (me). They also serve lots of lovely fruit juices and we tried quite a lot of them, all were lovely.
Following breakfast we again went to the main pool. This also has a really good pool bar to swim up to and we made a habit of doing so. We spent the morning lounging and loafing around chatting to others who were also on holiday. Bill’s biking, gun shooting new friends were also at the pool and their conversation resumed while there was a lot of rolling of the eyes going on from the women folk there. How can they talk about bikes and guns for hours on end we mused? The morning was spent swimming, talking and sunbathing, and very pleasant it all was too. We had decided we’d go snorkeling in the afternoon. The hotel has a private beach which is reached either by walking to it (in that 47 degree heat – erm no thanks) or alternatively there is a complimentary boat that runs from the jetty on the beach every 30 minutes. We were getting the 2.30 boat across.
Just before 2.30 we were at the jetty on the beach, snorkels and masks at the ready. The boat came for us and we were on the other beach within 10 minutes.

We’d both been really looking forward to this and were really excited about it. We’d been warned to wear something on our feet as there were a lot of rocks to cross before getting in the sea. Bill had his pool shoes he bought at Discovery Cove a few years ago and me? Well I was wearing Crocs. What a sight - swimwear snorkel, mask and Crocs – ah well it had to be done. It was actually quite tricky negotiating the rocks before reaching the sea – it is so much easier snorkeling at Discovery Cove, but we made it. Once in we made sure our masks were tight enough and off we went - Bill leading the way. Wow this was amazing! The sea was so warm and the fish were just swimming right around us. The colours were amazing. Bill took loads of photos with the underwater camera he bought recently. We spent a couple of hours snorkeling before catching the boat back to the other beach and returning to the hotel.
Here are some fishy photos

We were going into Old Sharm again that night for something to eat and also to do a little shopping. Our daughter, Kayleigh never ever asks us to bring her anything back from our holidays. We always ask her if she’d like anything but she never does, unlike her brother David, who always has a list for us. I was pleased when Kayleigh asked if we’d bring her an ‘all seeing eye’ necklace. We were looking in the window of a jewelers shop when the owner saw us and came outside. We had the usual banter about coming inside so in we went. He showed us various ‘eyes’ and we settled on one we thought Kayleigh would like. It had to be adjusted slightly, so he gave us seats to sit in and coke to drink while he went off somewhere to have the necklace altered. We were just left in the shop with all of his stuff until he returned about 10 minutes later with the finished product. Of course he then tried to sell us lots of other things and we had the haggling for the necklace but it was all good-natured fun.
We then went off in search of somewhere to eat locally and decided upon Valentinos steakhouse (which also did pizzas – just what we fancied). As we were being shown to our table we passed a young couple from our hotel – Iain and Sylvia who were from Inverness. Iain was Bill’s gun totting Harley riding pal from the hotel pool. They had just ordered their meal and Bill asked them if they would like to join us. So they did, I was hoping they were not just being polite as I thought they may have wanted a nice romantic meal on their own. We were soon all chatting away like old friends and enjoyed a very good evening. Iain may have been a biker but he must have also been a ‘new man’ as he had had a pedicure at the hotels beauty salon. What was more he talked Bill into booking one the next day. Hmm bikers with lovely soft feet and painted toe nails eh?
After our meal Iain and Sylvia went back to the hotel and we went into the ‘Old Market to buy some water and soft drinks from the 7 Eleven in there. Well we didn’t find the 7 Eleven although we walked all around the market looking for it. I wasn’t keen on the market at all. There were lots of open meat and fish stalls and I’m not great with icky smells, and they smelled IMHO very icky. We did find a little ‘supermarket’ where we bought our water and soft drinks – they even had my favourite tipple – Coke Zero, so I was happy with that. We then walked the 5 minutes or so back to our hotel where we each had a bottle of Stella in the bar with a nice Geordie couple we’d been chatting to earlier on at the pool and on the beach. The four of us sat chatting until 11.30 when we all headed off to bed for the night. We’d had a really good day, I doubt this will be our last holiday in Sharm El Sheikh as we were really having a wonderful holiday.

Edited at 08:51 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 08, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Need pics of Bills pedicure
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 08, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Glad to hear Bill's in touch with his feminine side Did he go for coloured nail polish on his tootsies or a French Manicure?

Love the fishy pictures.
Old 12 Jun 08, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Underwater photos came out really good and you seemed to have a lovely day. Can't wait to hear about Bill's pedicure!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 08, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Fantastic underwater photos. Sounds like another relaxing day

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 08, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post

OMG - i actually gasped out loud at that first pic of the parrot fish - arent they just stunning! I love how they look like they are always smiling hehe so lovely, the pics are amazing, what underwater camera do you guys have? I just bought a disposable and all the fish just came out blue...

Another lovely trippie am enjoying reading them and they are really taking me back x
Old 12 Jun 08, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by fayeg View Post
OMG - i actually gasped out loud at that first pic of the parrot fish - arent they just stunning! I love how they look like they are always smiling hehe so lovely, the pics are amazing, what underwater camera do you guys have? I just bought a disposable and all the fish just came out blue...

Another lovely trippie am enjoying reading them and they are really taking me back x
The camera is a Vivitar 5Mega Pixel compact which had a flash and zoom, and a waterproof plastic case. Bought from Asda online for £45.
Bill
Old 14 Jun 08, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Another fantastic day.

One of my work colleagues goes to Sharm every November, they love it there. I quite fancy it myself but I don't know if I would like all of the pestering you get when you venture out of the hotel.

Lovely fish photos.
Old 14 Jun 08, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minniespal View Post
Another fantastic day.

One of my work colleagues goes to Sharm every November, they love it there. I quite fancy it myself but I don't know if I would like all of the pestering you get when you venture out of the hotel.

Lovely fish photos.
Honestly Florence it's no worse than the people who have the nail polishing and cleaning fluid stalls in the malls in Florida. At least the Egyptians have great sense of humour and we really had a laugh with them.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 08, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaydee
Imagineer

Jaydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Get Bill having a pedicure

A lovely day for you both, the photos of the fish are lovely

Jaydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List