Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 09, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ploppy
Imagineer

West Coast RV rental

everyone!

Just got back from Orlando and noticed that we have a new West Coast forum - what a good idea especially as I'm about to plan our trip for next year!

I have done the west coast before but hubby hasn't and as my best friend is getting married in Vegas next April I thought I'd take the opportunity to show my DH some of the other parts of the states.

My sister lives in Vancouver so the plan is to drive from Vegas to San Diego after the wedding and then all the way up the Pacific Coast Highway ending in Vancouver with my sister about 4/5 weeks later.

The more I thin about it the more I think hiring an RV might be the way forward. I've had a look on the web but there seem to be so many different classes I have no idea what to go for.

Does anyone have any experience of hiring RVs in the states? The added complication is this will be a one way rental as we will be picking up in Vegas and dropping off in Vancouver (or Seattle if necessary as I've noticed some companies don't allow return outside the US)?

Thanks guys

Villa - '84, '85, '86, '91, '92, '93, '97, '04
West coast - '87, '89, '94, '98, '01, '10, '14
Onsite - '95, '99, '00, '02, '03, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, ‘18
Disney cruise - Wonder May '11, Fantasy NY 2011/12, Magic NY 2012/13, Dream Sept '16
Princess Ploppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 09, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post

We (mum, dad and me) have done this 3 times now. Once in Orlando and twice on the west coast. We have had the cab over versions (class C) and the bus version (class A). The last two had slideouts which can double your sitting area (and even your sleeping area in some vans) The smallest we had was 27 foot and the longest (the class A) was pushing 37 foot.

The cab over worked better for us as with 3 adults you all get a private sleping area ( 2 in the back and one in the cabover) but we all felt the bus has better sitting/dining setup as you could swing the driver and passenger seat round to join the 3 seater sofa!

They come with all mod-cons, in fact if i could have parked the bus up in my yard i'd have lived in it it was so nice. Dead easy to set up when you park, black tube for waste water, grey tube for "grey" water eg dish water, bathwater and a blue hose for drinking water plug them in along with the power and and cabel for TV (if you get a big van it will have a tv. little ones don't) and you are set.

Driving is soooooo, everything is automatic put it into D and go. you just have to remember its a bit fatter than a car when stopping! reversing is also a bit fun, we left that to my dad as he's a HGV driver but most campsites have pull thru sites if you don't want to play the "get-out-of -the-way" game.

Some campsites have better amenities than others but on every campsite we've been to the folks have been so kind & friendly.

Its a great way to see the USA. All the comforts of home, you only have to unpack once and if nature calls when you are stuck in the middle of the desert its no probs at all!

We've done one way rentals both times on the west coat with no probs...i think they charged us $300 the first time (LA to Vegas) but nowt the second (Vegas to San Francisco).

Excuse the rambling but we loved it and would recomend it as the only way to go. We would do it again when we go next year but my Uncle won't drive his own bus so we're hoteling it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 09, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ploppy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by nix75uk View Post
We (mum, dad and me) have done this 3 times now. Once in Orlando and twice on the west coast. We have had the cab over versions (class C) and the bus version (class A). The last two had slideouts which can double your sitting area (and even your sleeping area in some vans) The smallest we had was 27 foot and the longest (the class A) was pushing 37 foot.

The cab over worked better for us as with 3 adults you all get a private sleping area ( 2 in the back and one in the cabover) but we all felt the bus has better sitting/dining setup as you could swing the driver and passenger seat round to join the 3 seater sofa!

They come with all mod-cons, in fact if i could have parked the bus up in my yard i'd have lived in it it was so nice. Dead easy to set up when you park, black tube for waste water, grey tube for "grey" water eg dish water, bathwater and a blue hose for drinking water plug them in along with the power and and cabel for TV (if you get a big van it will have a tv. little ones don't) and you are set.

Driving is soooooo, everything is automatic put it into D and go. you just have to remember its a bit fatter than a car when stopping! reversing is also a bit fun, we left that to my dad as he's a HGV driver but most campsites have pull thru sites if you don't want to play the "get-out-of -the-way" game.

Some campsites have better amenities than others but on every campsite we've been to the folks have been so kind & friendly.

Its a great way to see the USA. All the comforts of home, you only have to unpack once and if nature calls when you are stuck in the middle of the desert its no probs at all!

We've done one way rentals both times on the west coat with no probs...i think they charged us $300 the first time (LA to Vegas) but nowt the second (Vegas to San Francisco).

Excuse the rambling but we loved it and would recomend it as the only way to go. We would do it again when we go next year but my Uncle won't drive his own bus so we're hoteling it
Thank you so much for your post that is really helpful. Are you able to recommend any companies that you used? Have found a few but would prefer to use one someone else has experience with. Also any campsites you could recommend on your routes would be great!

Villa - '84, '85, '86, '91, '92, '93, '97, '04
West coast - '87, '89, '94, '98, '01, '10, '14
Onsite - '95, '99, '00, '02, '03, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, ‘18
Disney cruise - Wonder May '11, Fantasy NY 2011/12, Magic NY 2012/13, Dream Sept '16
Princess Ploppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 09, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post

We used cruise america for florida and they were fine, but we found they had limited range for the west coast so went with elmonte rv for the next 2 times as they had far more choice of rigs. Both companys provide a pickup service to take you to the rental depot. Nobody lets you pick the rig up the day you land so you will need at least one nights accomodation.

Las Vgeas campsites: we've only stayed at one, the KOA at Circus Circus. Not the cheapest of sites but the facilities are good and its on the strip itself, handy to see the sights if you haven't got a car.

KOA is Kampground Of America, an affiliation of campgrounds who have to meet certain standards in order to use the name. Actual amenities vary (some may not have pools or very big shops some have fishing lakes and big games rooms) but all of the KOA's we've stayed at have been clean and well maintained. You usually get the directory when you pick up the bus.

There are no KOA's near San Francisco, the closest one is 30odd miles away (euphamistically called San Francisco North! ) So if you have a camper for SF you have the choice of Candlestick Park near the airport, which is right next to the stadium but not near anything else... at all. It looks like a car park with oversize bays, but is gives you some space (unless theres a game on) , its got a nice shop, TV room and laundry and the owners are lovely. they run a shuttle to SF but the downside is you have to book your return trip in the morning when you book your trip there which didn't work for us as we kept changing out minds about when we wanted to get back to the campsite. a taxi to the nearest signs of life cost $30 one way.

The 2nd time we stayed in SF we stayed over in Marin county at Larkspur, in Marin RV park. Its a 10 min walk to the larkspur ferry which gives frequent fast service over the bay. That was more flexible and better for us. There are also bus services if you miss the last ferry! Not the best looking park (bit of a trailer trash vibe)but good enough to park your rear for a few days and everyone was extremly kind and welcoming.

If you're coming up highway 1 I recommend Morro Dunes Travel trailer park which has a fab view of morro rock, is practically on the beach and is a great starting point for the trip up to San francisco.

The net has some good lists of parks but another place to find listings is in the free papers you get at diners like Dennys. The only point i would say keep in mind is that it can be a bind to have to unhook everything when all you want is a pint of milk so try to make sure you do all your traveling in an area (ie get the shopping in, visit an exhibit)before you stop for the night. If staying anywhere for a few days make sure the public transport links are good (websites will usually tell you such stuff). Also when packing up to move put the kettle in the sink or the first time you turn a corner it becomes a missile flying off the bench and in the direction of the driver!

Hope my ramblings help and that you try RVing... Its the only way to go
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 09, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread