Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jan 15, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Must dos with two teenagers

We are flying in and out of Las Vegas in August and planning on doing a road trip for 19 nights.

We have a teenage daughter (aged 14) and a pre-teen daughter (aged 11).

The only thing we have planned is Taylor Swift concert in Los Angeles.

We also want to do Disneyland and Universal, but can't decide whether to buy the combined ticket and go to San Diego and do SeaWorld and maybe the zoo.

We want to see some stunning scenery too and not sure about going to San Francisco as we don't want to do too much.

Any must dos?
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 15, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
How long are you in Vegas for ?

I've taken my kids several times and some of the things they like are
Hoover Dam
Lake Mead
Shopping
Secret Garden at the Mirage
Shark Reed Mandalay Bay
M&M's world
Bellagio Fountains
Mirage Volcano
Gondola ride at the Venetian
Las Vegas sign
Madame Tussards.
Bellagio Conservatory
Walking in all the hotels
Score at the Luxor

Other things there.. Ling High Roller big wheel, New York roller coaster, Eiffel Tower, Stratosphere tower, Hershey's world , Titanic & Bodies exhibitions

So plenty for kids to do..

Can't help with scenery as its not our thing really, we do do a few road trips but whilst nice to see initially the novelty has quickly worn off ..
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 15, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Thank you. Think we will be in Vegas for about 3 or 4 nights, at the beginning and end.

To be honest Vegas is just a starting base and end of the holiday as we got good flight deals.

We love the scenery and after touring the Canadian Rockies and a cruise to Alaska last year, we want to show the kids what the rest of America has to offer.

So looking for tips of things out of Vegas, but will certainly look into some of those things you have listed while there.

Thank you.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 15, 02:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

If it is scenery you want then you can't get better than Yosemite/ Death Valley including going over the Tioga pass and the PCH?
If you want to add Disney, SW and San Fran it would make it all rushed.
I would do one night Vegas, Death Valley/Bishop YosemiteTioga Pass, 2 nights, San Fran 2/3 Nights, Coast Road 1 or two nights then do Universal on the way in but it is all the same as FL, as is SW imho. If you want to Hollywood etc one or two nights in Santa Monica. Then I would base in Anaheim for Disney and do at least four or five nights
I would give Seaworld a miss and go down to the Zoo for a day unless you really want to San Diego. Then back to Vegas for a few nights at the end.
If you want a less hectic time than just cut out San Fran and the Coast and drive down internally to LA/ Anaheim.
Palm Springs is a nice place for a relaxing stopover back to Vegas as that drive is rather boring from LA?
Don't underestimate the difference in Santa Monica and Anaheim travel wise.
I would forgo SW. And U nicer sale for the scenery, SF and LV, as Daytona Babe says there is still a lot to see and do there.
See my mammoth trippie for more ideas.

Edited at 02:03 AM.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 15, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Although it would be hot,if you can, don't discount the valley of fire in Vegas, it really is beautiful
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 15, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Thank you for your replies.

We are all Disney Geeks and missing out Disney is not an option. I know it will be just like Florida, but that is what the girls love.

We have done San Francisco before the kids were born, so we could miss that out to make it less rushed.

Not bothered by SW, but would like to do the zoo as I remember that being excellent.

Think out plan is to stay in Las Vegas for 2 nights at the beginning, do our main road trip/scenic tour and then back to LA for Taylor Swift, Disney, Universal for at least 4 or 5 nights and then back up to Las Vegas for our last night before flying home. None of us are that fussed about spending too much time in Las Vegas (hubby and I spent 3 nights and the sounds of the fruit machines as we walked through are still ringing in our ears!), although there does seem to be lots to do there. Can't decide whether to do the Grand Canyon as we have already done it, but it would be a shame for the girls not to see how beautiful it is.

We have 3 weeks to do it in and there will be rushed bits I'm sure. Last year we did 5 nights in the Rockies before our Alaska cruise and people told us not to do it as it would be rushed. We did it, and were so glad we did. We could have spent more time in places, but I would have rather have seen it, then not at all.

Keep the suggestions coming please ...
Old 11 Jan 15, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We took two teens on a road trip last August. I did do a trippy so feel free to have a a read. We started and finished in San Francisco and took in:
Alcatraz
Coit tower
Cable cars
Cycling the Golden Gate Bridge
Pacific coast highway - kids were meh after about 10mins of this drive!
Hearst castle
Madonna inn
Hollywood and the sign
Studios tour including friends set
Disney
Fender factory tour
Yosemite
Lassen volcanic park
Giant redwoods

We also took in shopping days

I have to say that the kids loved it all apart from the long drive days. They did get fed up at constantly moving hotels so we had a couple of longer stops ie 4 nights at Disney, 3 in San Fran and 2 at pismo beach.

We love scenery and we were all amazed by Yosemite,Lassen and the redwoods. We all walked miles.

Other highlights were San Francisco. My DD thought Alcatraz was the best place ever and still has a photo of the GG bridge as her phone screensaver! Hearst castle was a hit with the teens as a lady gaga video was filmed there.

We skipped Vegas and San Diego as we just couldn't fit it in - but we will revisit one day.
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 15, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

My kids were 14 and 11 when we went to the West Coast last summer. They both loved San Francisco and San Diego and enjoyed the 2 nights we had in Las Vegas. To be honest, they enjoyed it all and while we all got fed up on a long driving day (hated driving through LA), everyone loved the scenery everywhere else.

The beaches are fantastic in San Diego, so it's worth having some time there if you can fit it in.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 15, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

scootcitytours/

The best thing we did in Vegas. We did the Red Rock Canyon tour and loved it. We got a good deal through Groupon
Sara_toga is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 15, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Looks like fun!

Lots of suggestions from everyone - thank you!
Closed Thread