Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 15, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Food in Disneyland California

We are here now in LA after a fantastic 10 day road trip.

The kids have been so good on the long journeys and taken in the amazing sights and really enjoyed it, it is now time for their fun in Universal and Disney, Who am I kidding? We are the biggest kids and can't wait visit Disney in the 60th year.

When we have visited Orlando, one of our favourite places for a quick snack is Cosmic Rays for Cheesy Chilli Chips! Anyone know if they do these anywhere in the parks in Anaheim?

Any other food or restaurants recommended for either a snack or lunch/dinner?
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Hi, glad you're having a fantastic time in California! You can find chili cheese fries at a couple of places in the Disney parks. Inside Disneyland, they have them at the Golden Horseshoe (where you can also watch an Old Western show at the same time). While not the same thing, you can also get a chili cheeseburger at the Hungry Bear restaurant (by Splash Mountain) and a chili cheese hot dog at the Refreshment Corner on Main Street. In California Adventure park, they have chili cheese fries at the Smokejumpers Grill, near the Soarin' Over California ride.

I have an annual pass for Disneyland and go often, so I have a lot of recommendations for snacks and places to eat in the parks. These are a few of my favorites...

Disneyland:

Grilled skewers from the Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland. This is a good quick meal, or you can just get a couple of skewers as a snack to hold you over. I especially like the Bengal Beef and the Chieftain Chicken skewers. They have a bacon-wrapped asparagus skewer which can be good, but sometimes the asparagus is a bit thick and not cooked through long enough, so it can be tough.

Blue Bayou in New Orleans Square is the top of the line table service restaurant in Disneyland. It's inside the Pirates of the Caribbean building and the atmosphere is great, like you're dining outside on the bayou at night. If you get a table near the railing, you can see the Pirates ride boats floating by. This is an expensive place, even at lunch the prices are $30 a plate on average. The popular menu item here is the Monte Cristo sandwich (which they only serve at lunch)...it's really decadent. A ham, turkey and Swiss cheese sandwich dipped in a pancake-like batter, deep-fried, topped with powdered sugar and served with jam. Very rich, as you can guess, and while it sounds like an odd combination, it tastes very nice. If you don't want to pay the Blue Bayou prices to try this sandwich, they also serve it on the menu across the way at Cafe Orleans (for a few dollars cheaper!).

Dole Whips at the Tiki Room attraction- a tip: there are two lines for the serving counter. The line on the inside waiting area for the attraction is usually the shorter one, the line on the outside is always long.

Mickey shaped beignets (a French powdered sugar donut) from the Mint Julep Bar in New Orleans Square. It's a small, walk up window tucked in behind the French Market Cafe.

Funnel cake from either the Stage Door Cafe or the Hungry Bear restaurant.

Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup combo from Jolly Holiday Bakery- and get one of their cupcakes for dessert.

Mickey waffle for breakfast at the Carnation Cafe on Main Street (table service restaurant).

Fried chicken dinner at the Plaza Inn.

Carnitas soft tacos Monterrey at the Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland. Their citrus grilled chicken platter is also good.

Something sweet from the Candy Palace on Main Street. The English Toffee they make fresh on the premises is wonderful.

In the California Adventure park:

Ice cream at Ghirardeli's, and pick up some chocolates for later at the hotel!

Flo's V8 Cafe in Cars Land is a good spot for lunch. I love their roast beef and cheddar sandwich. There is a good view of the Radiator Springs Racers ride from the back patio.

Carthay Circle Restaurant is the top of the line restaurant here. The food is excellent and so is the atmosphere, but it's expensive.

Corn dogs from the Corn Dog Castle, if you're looking for a cheap meal or a snack between lunch and dinner.

Chili con Queso from the Cozy Cone Motel makes a good, inexpensive lunch. It's chili, cheese and corn chips served in a bread cone.

And one more- churros from any of the carts around the parks.

Have a great time!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 15, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Ben1993
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Brilliant post, bookmarking it for next month, thanks!
Old 21 Aug 15, 05:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

You're both very welcome! Happy dining!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 15, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Thank you Amy - some great tips!
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 15, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
I wanted to eat at Carthay Circle after recommendations, but after looking at the menus, it didn't really appeal to us!

We are hoping to eat in Blue Bayou and Wine Country Trattoria... we are looking to do these as the dining packages... I think World of Colour and Fantasmic.

Hoping to eat in Trader Sams aswell...

We wished we would have gone in the one in WDW this year, but had plans when we went past it! Looks great!

Amy, some good tips / advice in that post. We look forward to trying some of the suggested food!
Old 21 Aug 15, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

You're welcome, 1972! Hope you're having a great time!

Miked1e, the food is a little gourmet in Carthay Circle and it was a total splurge for me- as I don't usually go for gourmet, it was nice though. Have a great time when you go!

Old 21 Aug 15, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Greatbigrobot
Getting Excited

Trader Sams at the Disneyland hotel was fab. It is a bar and you will only be allowed to take the kids in before 8pm.
Greatbigrobot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 15, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
You're welcome, 1972! Hope you're having a great time!

Having a great time!

Went to see Taylor Swift last night, off to Santa Monica today and the on to Disney later to hopefully catch Fantasmic.

We have had some amazing massive onion rings in Animal Kingdom before, do they do these in California?
Old 22 Aug 15, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We had some amazing onion rings a few years ago at a Red Robin on Harbor Boulevard just down the road from Disneyland. They were that memorable!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread