Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Aug 16, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Sunset Beach, it was basically a residential area next to Huntington Beach and an easy (streets not freeways) 10/15 mins to Disneyland. We were on a tight budget and made a conscious decision to sacrifice location for this stay (we had four nights at DL after that).
We're not planning on Disney but do want to see Universal, the Hollywood sign and all the usual touristy things. So I guess that'd be the wrong area for us. Thanks
Old 29 Aug 16, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
Did you book direct or Priceline or like that as prices for November as so expensive ... I guess due to the area but still expensive
I used Hotwire last year for Anaheim booking less than a month before we went and it worked out well for us £50 per night for the desert palms and that included breakfast and parking .

I couldn't find the same kind of deals for this year , but it's definitely a site I'll always check out .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 16, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Marina del Rey for us - there are lots of public car parks around at $15 per 24 hours weekend & $10 in the week. It's just south of Venice Beach & then Santa Monica (about 35/40 min walk along the sea front). We preferred not to stay in the middle of LA but travelled in
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 16, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka Lodge View Post
We're not planning on Disney but do want to see Universal, the Hollywood sign and all the usual touristy things. So I guess that'd be the wrong area for us. Thanks
Yes, I'd agree not ideal for that. We used it as a recharge after two weeks of touring and hotel swapping so it worked for us
Old 2 Sep 16, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Dissuziq
Apprentice Imagineer

Dissuziq's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
we did 5 nights in Anaheim at Hotel Indigo and 5 nights in West Hollywood staying at Farmers daughter, its opposite the Grove and Farmers Market. We used Uber to get around, but walking distance to a few sights
LA 2008,2016, DLP 2019
Dissuziq is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by meboo View Post
Marina del Rey for us - there are lots of public car parks around at $15 per 24 hours weekend & $10 in the week. It's just south of Venice Beach & then Santa Monica (about 35/40 min walk along the sea front). We preferred not to stay in the middle of LA but travelled in
Where did you stay in Marina Del Rey?
Old 4 Sep 16, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

We were at the Marriott. Initially our preferred hotel was the Marina del Rey hotel which was coming up on Hotwire for $202 plus tax for 4 of us. However, it is a HUGE Marina, and we wanted to be able to walk to Venice/Santa Monica (took an hour for us to walk to the Pier at Santa Monica, but a lovely walk). I think the extra walk from the Marina hotel would have been a little too far, but if you were happy to drive /cycle it was lovely.

The Marriott was a beautiful hotel with fire pits in the courtyard. The Cheesecake Factory was opposite.

We drove into LA/Hollywood/Rodeo Drive and it was fine ! We set off at 10.30 and got to Griffith Observatory in about 30 mins. From there it was about 15 mins to park up on Hollywood & Highland Mall (also a great view of the Hollywood sign), where we did Chinese Theatre, Walk of Fame, Hard Rock. Spent a few hours there and then went on Mulholland Drive for a short period (it is a 50 mile drive !) but got some lovely views of the hills & city before dropping down into Rodeo Drive via Beverly Hills.

We them drive through residential areas and were in Culver City (not too far from Marina del Rey) by 6pm! We were definitely driving away from the traffic at this point. Culver City is film studio area, and the Culver Hotel is a quirky little place where the cast of The Wizard of Oz stayed during filming.

Edited at 07:12 AM.
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
There was a lovely apartment in Marina Del Rey on Airbnb. Wish I had booked it. This is such a lovely area. Was also surprised how many hotels there were, and never came up in searches when I was looking around LAX
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
We stayed at The Garland in North Hollywood. It was 7-10 mins from Universal and they provide a free shuttle bus which goes every hour. We loved it, lovely 60's vibe, friendly staff great pool. Would stay again no problem .
Old 6 Sep 16, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We stayed at the Hilton Universal City, I think that and Loews are the most common picks for Dibbers but neither come cheap. This time, we are staying in Anaheim and driving to LA for Universal before we head over to Vegas.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread