Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Sep 16, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Mobile Thinking of Vegas...no idea where to start!

Hi everyone!

Have always wanted to go to Vegas and my mum has decided she is taking our children on holiday next Easter so it leaves us with a week to ourselves so I'm really considering a week in Vegas.

I honestly don't know where to start and was wondering if some fellow dibbers could point me in the right direction and answer a few questions

Is it worth going to Vegas just for 1 week?

We want to stay on the strip and I've heard hotels like Excalaber, Luxor etc are a bit out of the way - which hotels would people recommended?

We are not really into things like pool parties/clubbing scenes but would like to go to a few shows like Cirque de Solei etc - what other shows do you recommend for a couple in their late 20's?

How much spending money would you take for a week?

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 5 Sep 16, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Hi Welshmum,

I've been to Vegas a few times and the last 2 trips have been for 7 nights and it's been fine. Exhausted when I got home and pretty much slept for a week but jet lag hits us all differently.

I personally like the location around the Bellagio - Caesars Palace, Paris, Bellagio, Cosmo, Aria, Planet Hollywood, Elara (my favourite), New York New York and MGM. There's some lovely hotels outside of that i.e. Wynn, Mandalay Bay and Venetian/Palazzo but they're bit further from what I'd class as the centre. When booking a hotel make sure you factor in resort fees - they can be around $35 a night so add up over the week and some hotels now charge a parking fee.

This time we hired a car and drove to Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon, outlet mall and Fremont Street. Other trips have focused on the strip.

Show tickets can be brought in advance or from the ticket sellers on the strip. If there's one you want I'd suggest buying in advance, otherwise just see what's on offer when you get there. I enjoyed Love by Cirque du Solei, we've seen Jersey Boys and Rock of Ages, Britany Spears (erm, not great) and Rod Stewart at the Coliseum. I'd see anyone at the Coliseum as it's a fab venue.

Have a read of a few trippies - Abiknox did a really interesting trippie called Las Vegas - We're coming back, about spending a week on the strip.

Hope that helps
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Forgot to add - spending money is difficult. You can spend anything in Vegas!
We took $150 per day (2 adults) and had brought some Groupons for a buffet and meal and tickets for shows and attractions in advance. We spent most of this plus put around $400 on my card when shopping in the outlets.
We ate at various chain places like iHop (for breakfast), Cheesecake Factory, in-n-out burger, Cabo Wabo, Buffalo Wild Wings, Panda Express and had alcohol with dinner.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We stayed in the Luxor and it's not too far out, only a short walk to the centre of the Strip.
We were there for 4 nights, and then California for the rest of the time.
There's plenty to do for a week.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We were there for 4 nights last year, late 40's early 50's but not gamblers or clubbers. Were there in March.

We stayed in Vdara and agree we liked that area around Bellagio etc. The Cosmopolitan looked great. Hotel prices vary a lot though depending on events etc, and the shows available also vary a lot.
Easter probably won't be too hot.
We loved the shows, and that would have been our only reason for staying longer.

Enjoyed our day trip out to Hoover Dam and West Rim of Grand Canyon, although I still long to go to South Rim. There are some other great days out and things to do, Red Rock canyon etc.

have a read of some trip reports - will give you some good ideas.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Whilst there is enough to do in Vegas for a week, my ideal is 2 nights. We did 3 nights recently and I was practically running for the plane. I do enjoy my time but it starts to grate after 48 hours. I don't wish to put you off, but some people absolutely love it, some hate it and then you have people like me in the middle. I would hate for anyone to go through life without experiencing it though - even if just for one day!

We stayed in the Venetian which in fairness, was a good hotel.

'Daytonababe' goes to Vegas a lot and will be better placed than me answering your questions...

Edited at 04:24 PM.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I have been for a week 3 times but I prefer to go for longer , the last time j went for a week the jet lag and time difference was awful .

The other trips we've spent 10-12 days there and it's never enough . Next year we have 9 and I'm dreading not having enough time there .

As for hotels I wouldn't stop in the Luxor or Excalibur both need a refurb imo. Location wise the Luxor is too far down for me . For similar money you can get a lot better hotel like the planet Hollywood which is more central and far more modern .

We always have a car and yes you can get around without one it makes life a lot easier if you want to go to the likes of the Hoover dam . Shopping is also a lot better value off strip .

As for budget well Vegas caters for all kinds I've been for a week with just my husband and spent £800 . But the exchange rate was a lot better then . You can eat in the likes of Denny's cheaply or someone much more high end .

Also Easter isn't the cheapest time as well as Easter is will clash with spring break which makes it busier too . I catch the start of spring break and it is noticeable busier .

I would read through some trip reports to give you a idea of what there is to do and of hotels etc
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
We went in May for 4 nights and also stayed at the Vdara. We so wish we had stayed longer. We tried to cram it all in as best we could and I think we made a reasonable effort! However we are saving like mad while paying off the credit card - not sure when we'll be able to get back but we definitely will go again.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi have a look at the signature suits at the MGM , these can be booked via the hotel or through airbnb. These apartments are very large and 4 mins walk into hotel. We went to see ka and love both fantastic as was the pen and teller show
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Mobile

We are going in October half term for 6 nights.