Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Sep 16, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
aly67
Proud to wear my Ears

Early planning - Pacific Coast Highway questions

Hi

We are planning to visit in August or September next year. Should be me, husband and our youngest son who will be 17.

I'm thinking of flying into San Francisco and then driving to LA and then on to Las Vegas.

However, I'm the only driver and although I have driven abroad including Florida, I'm really scared of heights. My initial research seems to indicate that driving down the coast road (101) is going to be a problem but I would like to take a few days and stop overnight perhaps twice. Is Highway 1 a better route and could I drive down this and the cut across to somewhere like Monterey or Carmel and then return to Highway 1? Or could I manage some parts of the 101 where it isn't so high?

Thank you
aly67 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by aly67 View Post
Hi

We are planning to visit in August or September next year. Should be me, husband and our youngest son who will be 17.

I'm thinking of flying into San Francisco and then driving to LA and then on to Las Vegas.

However, I'm the only driver and although I have driven abroad including Florida, I'm really scared of heights. My initial research seems to indicate that driving down the coast road (101) is going to be a problem but I would like to take a few days and stop overnight perhaps twice. Is Highway 1 a better route and could I drive down this and the cut across to somewhere like Monterey or Carmel and then return to Highway 1? Or could I manage some parts of the 101 where it isn't so high?

Thank you
I am the same but we are 2 drivers but travelling the other way so furthest from the side.
Old 7 Sep 16, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

I did the exact same journey and while there are hights there are no sheer drops right by your side as you drive, the road is twisty and you probably be lucky to get up to 30 mph on most of the big sur, there are lots of turn inns and plenty of room, I really don't think you will have a problem.

I stopped in Monterey and Pismo beach. I loved both, but there are many other places to stay as well.
Old 7 Sep 16, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
I did the exact same journey and while there are hights there are no sheer drops right by your side as you drive, the road is twisty and you probably be lucky to get up to 30 mph on most of the big sur, there are lots of turn inns and plenty of room, I really don't think you will have a problem.

I stopped in Monterey and Pismo beach. I loved both, but there are many other places to stay as well.
We did exactly this back in April this year, agree with Gavvy's comments. Lots of photo opportunities, things to look at and fabulous rocky coastal coves!

We also overnighted in both Monterey and Pismo Beach on our way back to the LA area
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

my DH drove from north to south ok and he is really scared of heights (esp edges) and at some turn ins chose to stay in the car as he needed that security. Even though you are never too close to the edge he felt comfiest doing this and it meant that I could get out and take some photos so we could both enjoy later. It is the US, a slow road although in April it wasn't queueing traffic and very safe.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 16, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Hi

Thank you
I think you'll be fine and Highway 1 is stunning and not to be missed. I don't recall any extremely high points where you're actually close to the edge. Always a barrier and often plenty of land between you and the actual edge.

If you are really nervous then go on Google Maps and use the street view feature (little yellow man) to actually check out what it looks like. Maybe search Google for highest point. You can probably find a sped-up video of the whole drive on YouTube.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 16, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Stella11
Getting Excited

I am ridiculously scared of heights. Really Bad.

We flew into and out of Las Vegas and did a three week loop. Our trip had us driving from LA to SF as I knew we'd be on the inside of the road and not near the edges. I didn't pay attention to the other side of the road perspective as such, and just focussed on the spectacular views.

It is something I would be concerned about if I ever did the trip again. I'd definitely take the great advise of the poster who suggested google maps, you-tube etc.

We drove through Yosemite and whilst I would try and persuade anyone to visit, I'm actually sweating now recalling how terrified I was on those roads.

If it just had one of those barriers on the side I felt 1000 times better. I cannot recall if the PCH did sorry
Stella11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 16, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
aly67
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you for the responses.

I think I might try You Tube and see what I think. I would really like to do it but I keep looking at the photo of Bixby Bridge and wondering what happens if I just stopped and couldn't move
aly67 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 16, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Thank you for the responses.

I think I might try You Tube and see what I think. I would really like to do it but I keep looking at the photo of Bixby Bridge and wondering what happens if I just stopped and couldn't move
Just remember the Navy Seal's 40% rule... when you think you're done, you are really only at 40%
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 16, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We drove PCH Highway 1 last year from LA down to Pismo, where we stayed for a couple of nights - it's a great drive and I don't think you would have anything to worry about.

We then cut across to Vegas from Pismo, and went to LA from Vegas.

So I don't know about the route South from Pismo, but this year we drove up PCH1 from LA to Santa Barbara, but either I got lost or we had to do part of the journey on the 101.

Good luck with the planning. I cannot imagine what the fear of heights is like, they don't bother me at all so probably see things completely differently from you.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread