Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jul 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I would emphasise an email dialogue confirming your manager's demands is essential at this point. Verbal is not enough.
OP This is a very good point from Duchy (and made by others as well). Please do get this in writing from your manager (the request and rationale behind it) and make sure that you make notes of all interactions (e.g. an email stating "as we have just discussed..." after a conversation).

I hope that you won't need the documentation and that you are able to negotiate with your manager, but collecting supporting evidence may be useful.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Trebor1
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
Everyone needs a job and needs to work. But I would be looking for another job and resigning once secured.

At the end of the day OP, what would they do if you went out this weekend and got hit by a bus? Or fell of a bike/horse/fence/whatever and you ended up signed off sick? They’ve have to have a back up plan pretty damn fast.

I understand the business need etc etc, I really do. I’ve cancelled things for work, but it’s the way it’s been handeled that leaves a sour taste.
And thats where they should have a continuity plan if they are so dependent on 3 members of staff
Trebor1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Trebor1 View Post
And thats where they should have a continuity plan if they are so dependent on 3 members of staff
Exactly my point
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

I think OP has said that there isn’t a lot of options in the area so perhaps the company /manager are banking on that as they know he/she won’t be able to threaten moving jobs, which is super unfair.
Nobody is irreplaceable- surely they can get cover for a few weeks? It’s crazy to heap all that pressure on one person’s shoulders with zero contingency.
It’s very unfair op- I hope you can come to an amicable resolution with your manager
Tea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey68
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

You say it is a large company so there should be HR available. Are they aware of what your manager has asked or has he not involved them? I would be involving HR and getting all communication in writing. I hope you can resolve this awful situation.
Old 11 Jul 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

It's just mad that there isn't a clear contingency plan in place with this 'large' company and that you've become the SPOF.

Creating more work load brings more stress meaning your mental health will be at risk.. and if this was me I'd be handing them a "sorry for your loss" card and saying goodbye before any of that happens.

In my opinion there is probably someone else in this company who will be able to step in, but it's probably a case of "that's not my job" so they're now resorting to this option which is bonkers.

Hope it all works out, but remember.. your health is more important than this company.

Edited at 11:40 AM.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My bet if it's a large company is HR aren't even aware and putting it on a formal footing with proof of what manager is demanding and offering will be the fastest route to resolution.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

I would just go off sick and face the absence process when I returned. Stuff them
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I wouldn’t. It would be better to resign than to get fired for what would be a very obvious misdemeanour.
Prove it. By going to your GP, getting an official sick note and then following their absence policy on return would be the best option. They going to sack you for being signed off? If they did, then they would be in very dangerous territory.
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by markpwa8 View Post
Prove it. By going to your GP, getting an official sick note and then following their absence policy on return would be the best option. They going to sack you for being signed off? If they did, then they would be in very dangerous territory.
I was made redundant while off sick with a broken leg and found out my job had been given to someone else. Sued and they caved the week before the trial. Got compensation and all my expenses.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List