Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jul 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

not sure what difference working out the attendance % makes?

They will miss 17 days of school which is a huge amount and if you live in england you will almost def be fined - anything over 10 sessions/5 days automatically gets looked into

Our school do attendance 1/2 termly and pull you on low attendance very quickly so even a few days off can make a huge difference ds has missed 2 days this 1/2 term and had 3 mornings marked at absent due to being late and he's down to 84%.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
As someone who missed more school due to illness/injury/disability PLUS 2 weeks a year holiday. Just going to throw a spanner in the works and say I have a degree, work full time in something to do with my degree, work part time in a job I absolutely love the bones of and wouldn’t swap for the world.

Please don’t say the child will never recover... it doesn’t damage everyone in such severe ways. It’s different if you’ve got a child who’s parents are interested in taking them to school etc but this is not the case here.
See i disagree. School is about alot more than a stepping stone to accademia

My son lost 6 months due to being in BCH.
He will never recover that.

Well done on achieving despite or maybe because of everything but i deff stand by what i say.
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
As a teacher.
Ur child is missing 10% of the accademic year they will never recover that time.
I would say reconsider. If child has flu etc then ur looking intervention from EWO and thats not good.
This is about more than a fine...
I really really hate people saying this the schools included not all children who miss time off school struggle academically the same as some kids with 100% attendance never make good grades not matter how hard they try. Attendance does matter but its not everything,the only way to achieve things in life or make you more capable than you are.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We took our two on holiday a few times in October meaning they missed either 4 or 5 days of school which we were fine with, as were the school but 17 days seems excessive. I would definitely rethink your holiday.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
I really really hate people saying this the schools included not all children who miss time off school struggle academically the same as some kids with 100% attendance never make good grades not matter how hard they try. Attendance does matter but its not everything,the only way to achieve things in life or make you more capable than you are.
Not sure where u read that as it is deff not what i said.
IQ does indeed denote achievement.
Achievement can be increased with education.
Op asked for opinions. You dont have to agree with mine or the other 40 or so people who ve posted virtually the same thing...
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
I'm a teacher too and have other teachers in my family. It's very disruptive when children are off throughout the year consistently, they miss one or two days a week every week, usually for their entire school lives. I find these children have bigger gaps than those off for a week or two, who usually catch up as long as it's not a regular thing every year.

Also, it's better to do this when in primary than in secondary, if parents feel the need to holiday during school times. That said, I'm not condoning it, nor encouraging it, but it sounds like you're conscientious parents and may worry the entire time you're away.

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney

Edited at 02:56 PM.
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
See i disagree. School is about alot more than a stepping stone to accademia

My son lost 6 months due to being in BCH.
He will never recover that.

Well done on achieving despite or maybe because of everything but i deff stand by what i say.
6 months is very different to a 1 off 17 day holiday. I hope your son is better now.

And the only reason I mentioned my degree is purely so no one jumped on about it causing problem with my education. Honestly the most important part to school for me is the friendships, it’s learning social skills etc. Of course children need to learn, but there is plenty of stuff learnt in school I have NEVER needed.

The job I love most is the one I could have done having walked out of school with no qualifications. I have better skills in other areas. I purely used that to defend from those who will say that academic education is the most important thing in the world - it’s absolutey not. Common sense and being able to form relationships with people is most important. Those abilities shouldn’t be hampered by one long holiday.

ETA: I wouldn’t do 17 days of school missed intentionally, but this doesn’t sound intentional. This sounds like circumstances with the schools have changed and that’s happened.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪

Edited at 02:49 PM.
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Haven’t you got other holidays booked as well? Are these in term time too? You may need to have a rethink if they are. Good luck with making your decision.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

There is no way to predict the impact of this and working out percentages can be helpful in terms of quantifying the amount re fines/problems. I think as a guide re percentages if you plan to dip below 90% you need to amend your plans as this is one of the helpful percentages to help you measure how responsible your decisions are.Obviously no guarantees either way but we have to follow some guidelines when it concerns our kids. We took our son out for a few days and couple that with a nasty ear infection and Scarlett fever and we are at 93% - I will be making changes to any future plans we have - definitely work out if you are coming close to 90% attendance and make changes accordingly.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Understand I will have to pay a fine and that wasn’t something I would try and get out of. It’s a holiday so it’s a fine.

It’s 17 school days it works out as.

Have another holiday in Easter. Luckily for me this year the dates are the same between the county otherwise I’d have been stuck.

Eldest will be in year 1. She’ll be 5.
It’s in June. Wouldn’t think it’s a crucial time.

I’m not worried about her as she is top of her class now and is reading and writing is at year 2 level

It’s my husband that is worried. I think I’m ok. After this we will be planning it in October’s as the new council have two weeks then.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List