Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 30 May 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
charlie-becks
Serious Dibber

charlie-becks's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Question Solo first trip

Hello, I've done Disneyworld a few times but this is my first time in Paris, would you be able to advice on how easy it is on your own, language, restaurants, and single rider?

I'm thinking of going first week of December and staying on site so any tips would be appreciated. What should I look out for when booking? I'll need airport transfers, how easy is it getting from airports to hotels?

Ami completely crazy for going alone?
Old 30 May 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarryb
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You're definitely not crazy!

There's no real language barrier at all. Pretty much everyone speaks, or will attempt to speak English.

When I went alone I did find eating in restaurants a bit weird, but I just used my phone, etc. The waiters don't make you feel weird or anything, in fact I think they were possibly a little nicer than usual, if possible. Though maybe they felt sorry for me! 😂😂

There's not loads of single rider lines to be honest, but I think the week you're thinking of going would probably be pretty low crowd wise if you're avoiding weekends. So most queues will be easily manageable. Plus staying on site means extra magic time, which I would recommend. Especially as at low season Main Street is even quieter first thing, so you can get epic photos!

When I went alone, I flew and just used Magical Express. I've used Eurostar since, not alone, and found it a lot simpler. But if you're flying, the Magical Express is simple if you chose to use it.

Booking is basically never book on a standard package, there'll always be an offer. Also check the other (foreign) versions of the official website, as they sometimes have alternative offers. Also check out Magic Breaks. They have a lower booking fee, so may actually have a better price. Check if booking your transport separately is better for you. It often is cheaper. Try to arrive earlier in the day, and leave later on departure. That way you make the most of your park time. Xx
Sarryb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

A few years back I had an AP for Disneyland Paris and used to do short quick weekend breaks there. Would typically get the Eurostar from London (usually indirect changing at Lille as it was cheaper), and stay off-site at Val d'Europe (I tended to go for the Ibis back then) as again, it was a lot cheaper than staying on site.

My most recent solo trip was 2017, flew into CDG. Took the TGV from CDG to Marne La Vallee and then a bus to my hotel at Val d'Europe. Way back to CDG I used the RER which was a lot slower but the timings worked better (and it was cheaper!) than the TGV.

Basically I'd recommend the Eurostar if that is an option for you, I found it in general to be far more pleasant than trying to sort out transfers from CDG (and I imagine Orly would be similar).

In terms of being on my own - no major issue, still had lots of fun in the parks! I guess one downside is that people get a bit pushy in the queues and I've had more than a couple of instances in DLP queues where groups will try to inch and cut ahead of me - so I did need to be a bit more assertive with my space and try and make myself take up as much of the queue space as I could. Language is not a problem at all, feels like most of the CMs speak English and if they don't they will usually try to find someone who does; announcements are done in several languages; and some shows are very well done with both English and French dialogue (and I can understand enough from just the English dialogue to figure out what's happening).

I've done TS solo at DLP (namely Walt's and Remy's) as well as buffets solo (the buffet at Hotel NY). No major issues being solo at all, CMs are always lovely! I will have a book or kindle or my phone with me so I have something to do during the meal.

I think there are quite a few solo trippers here on the Dibb!
Old 31 May 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post

There are single rider lines on Ratatouille, RC Racer, Crush's coaster, Parachute Drop, Space Mountain and they are currently trialing it on Indiana Jones (currently scheduled until the end of summer but if successful it may still be in operation in December).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
charlie-becks
Serious Dibber

charlie-becks's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks for the help, I live on the Isle of Man so would need to get an internal flight to one the mainland airports so can't do early flight out unless I do overnight in UK which I might do, and I'll look at Eurostar as well to see price difference. I'm not confined to dates but would like to see Xmas decorations before the crowds really get mad, it all sounds similar to Orlando but I wanted to make sure lol Any recommendations for hotels? Not got massive budget so off site is considered as long as there's a free shuttle, id also like the half board dining
Old 31 May 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post

If you want half board dining you would need to stay onsite, however the dining plan isn't really a must at DLP (although if it comes included in a package offer it is often worth taking!).

On site we find the best cost/quality balance is hotel Cheyenne - it is a lovely themed hotel a 15min walk from the parks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
charlie-becks
Serious Dibber

charlie-becks's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks Stubbs, that's the one I've had my eye on, nice to know half board isn't a must, the free dining plan in Disney world was a lifesaver and I expected the same from this but if I can save by staying off site it might be better
Old 31 May 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've mostly stayed off site at the Val d'Europe area. I rather liked the Ibis (cheap, rooms are a bit small but OK for solo, decently comfortable) and more recently stayed in the Hipark Serris (wasn't such a huge fan).

The nice thing about the Val d'Europe area is that it is just one RER station away from Marne La Vallee (stop for DLP). RER trains run throughout the day from early in the morning to late at night, and fares are pretty cheap (around 2 Euros per trip). It's also right next to a huge shopping centre and a huge outlet shopping area, which makes it easy to buy stuff if you want.

Honestly for DLP I'm pretty OK to be off-site, simply because it's so easy to get to/from DLP from a number of off-site hotels. (This is in contrast to WDW where I'm on-site all the way - but this is in part due to the sheer scale of WDW and how far everything is and transport issues!)
Old 31 May 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarryb
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It's best to price up multiple options. I looked at off site before and it actually came up as more once I added tickets etc.

That's not to say it always is. You do give up the extra magic time if you stay offsite, unless you purchase one of the annual passes that have that perk.

If you take an offer with the free dining plan, it's definitely worth it. I took a different offer on the French website when I took my niece and then added the standard dining plan as it still worked out cheaper than the offer on the UK site. I quite like having the dining plan so I don't have to figure much food money into the spends.

I think the dining plan prices have increased this year, so as a free offer it's good, but I'm not sure that I'd add it on in future. X
Sarryb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by charlie-becks View Post
Thanks Stubbs, that's the one I've had my eye on, nice to know half board isn't a must, the free dining plan in Disney world was a lifesaver and I expected the same from this but if I can save by staying off site it might be better
Cheyenne is lovely, as is DLP in December.

Don’t worry about the language barrier at all - I always try to start off conversations and queries with my A-level French, and the CMs etc just reply in English! Doesn’t say a lot for their opinion of my ability to hold a conversation in French
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List