Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jul 19, 06:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Road Trip

Morning everyone

So currently planning a road trip..

So far have booked first night in San Francisco, we have been before.

We were then planning to drive to Lake Tahoe for 2 nights. But now considering staying near Sacramento? Then visiting Lake Tahoe for a day trip?

Bearing in mind after those 2 nights we'll be driving to Yosemite & staying in Oakhurst for 2 nights.

I've been looking at the maps & Sacramento to Lake Tahoe is roughly 120 miles, south Lake Tahoe is 100 miles, with a travel time of around 2.5 hours, traffic depending.

Sacramento to Yosemite is roughly 160 miles with a travel time of around 4.5 hours.

South Lake Tahoe to Yosemite is between 200 - 300 miles with what always seems heavy traffic & at least 5.5 hours travel, some up to 12 hours!

So I'm thinking the Sacramento Idea would be better? Just wondered your thoughts?

When we've been to Florida & travelled to Clearwater beach that's like 100 miles each way or there about so it's not too bad. Would make the drive the next day more easier?

Last year when we went to the west coast we travelled from Hurricane in Utah back through Vegas to Lone pine in California through Death Valley which was around 400 miles in one day.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 10 Jul 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
lynne6705
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

We did Yosemite to Lake Tahoe had a few nights there and then drove down to San Francisco, we stopped off for a wander in Sacremento but didnt find the drive too bad at all, much happier that we stayed overnight in Tahoe as opposed to Sacremento.
lynne6705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 05:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Thank you.. How was the drive from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe?

I've just looked again & the drive from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite is still basically a 7 - 12 hour drive..

Thanks
Old 11 Jul 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi I think you have a mix up somewhere in your drive times. South Lake Tahoe to yosemite is 2.5 hours. San Fran to Lake Tahoe is 3.5. Our advice is definately drive and stay in these places, would suggest 3 nights each if possible otherwise you only have I full day. For yosemite in particular 3 days is the minimum we would recommend and if possible stay in or very close to the park.

Edited at 08:16 AM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post

I’ve just looked, is the Tioga Pass closed at the minute, the reason it’s taking so long is because it’s rerouted the long way round, depending what time of year you’re going, driving the Tioga Pass should be quicker.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Ah I see that makes sense if that road is closed, we're going in May so not sure if it'll be open or not?

If I googled it, it was definitely telling me that it was taking between 7 - 12 hours for 3 different routes..
Old 11 Jul 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

This shows the historical dates that the passes have opened and closed. nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

Tioga pass averages as May 26th over the last 20 years.

This year was June 21st.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Thank you. we'd be needing to go that way on May 10th..

I'll take a look.
Old 11 Jul 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi sorry didn't see your dates, if you look at tioga pass history opening dates you may or not be lucky. 3/4 times in the last 10 years you would possibly be ok, and then 2 years ago it didn't open to 29'june while they cleared 25 ft snow drifts. An alternative of course is needed which as I see now makes things a tad different .

Edited at 05:13 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi just did some homework and the longer journey via Sonora should be about 4.5 hours so is longish but still very doable and leaves more time for the park. There is a couple films worth watching before you go, the dawn wall and free solo about climbing el capitan