Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jul 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

how to take money ?

Hi There

After a bit of advice if possible ...
Every time we have been on holiday we have always taken all our money in cash and are thinking this time of doing it differently
Hubby thinks we should split the money between travel money cards so if we lose one we still have cash on other cards ...
Having never used them is this what people do
are there any that are better than others to use and how do you go about getting them, at travel agents/online ?
Really unsure what to do

Thanks for any help
2017dream is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
KevinCosmos
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by 2017dream View Post
Hi There

After a bit of advice if possible ...
Every time we have been on holiday we have always taken all our money in cash and are thinking this time of doing it differently
Hubby thinks we should split the money between travel money cards so if we lose one we still have cash on other cards ...
Having never used them is this what people do
are there any that are better than others to use and how do you go about getting them, at travel agents/online ?
Really unsure what to do

Thanks for any help
There are a few different cards you could look into:
- Revolut (my preferred card)
- Starling
- Monzo
- WeSwap

All of which you can look at their websites and register via there.

Revolut lets you swap money ahead of time to secure an exchange rate, whereas most others will convert the amount from £ to $ at the point of purchase. You do generally get the wholesale rate so it is better than it would be at a travel agents.
KevinCosmos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
itz_baseline
Excited about Disney

Lots of posts on here on travel cards and there isn’t much between them. Personally I chose Starling as it allows you to withdraw £300 per day from ATDs without any fees, which non of the others offer so much fee free cash withdrawals over a typical holiday.

I also have a Monzo as a back up which we keep the cards separately. Both Monzo and Starling offer fee free purchases at Mastercard rates at the time of transaction (as many other cards do). It’s easy to transfer cash between accounts as you need and everything is tracked via an app interms of purchases, and you get real time notifications.

I applied for both of these by downloading the app and following instructions. Both of them are free to set up and took no more than 5 minutes on the app. Both had cards dispatched and arrived within 48 hours ready to start using.

It’s easy and really is no reason not to get one of these (or your chosen card).

Edited at 09:41 AM.
itz_baseline is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are a "mature" couple who always stay in a villa and haven't visited the parks since 2010 so certainly not typical Dibbers.

We pay cash for all restaurant meals, gas and small supermarket shopping. We allow $100 a day which we take out with us and the balance stays in the villa safe. We stay within our insurance limits and top up from the free ATMs at Wawa.

Also have a credit card for emergencies and larger purchases at say Macy's and B&BW

Mick
Old 17 Jul 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

We took 50/50 in March.. $1000 on a WeSwap card and $1000 cash, will be taking a lot less cash next year and more on the WeSwap card and use cash purely for tipping/tolls/quick snacks etc.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bobby_1970
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

We are taking around $1000 in cash. And a Halifax Clarity Credit card. Plus a few hundred on a Starling card. In some ways I preferred the days of just taking travellers cheques. Lol
Bobby_1970 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bobby_1970 View Post
We are taking around $1000 in cash. And a Halifax Clarity Credit card. Plus a few hundred on a Starling card. In some ways I preferred the days of just taking travellers cheques. Lol
Nothing basically wrong with TCs in my opinion. Just that staff seem to be getting younger (I think ) and don't know how to process them.

We always just used as cash anyway. Shopping in Walmart bill $65.50, give them a $100 TC and get $34.50 cash change. Easy.

Mick
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

We took £1000 cash and I hated it. Much preferred using my virgin money credit card which had no transaction fees and tracked on the app straight away.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
FAMILY JACK
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’m still on Holiday head back today for just under 3 weeks and staying off site in a villa we had taken £1400 cash and the rest on Post Office Credit card, which is no fee and gives one of the best exchange rates I’ve been getting $1.25 the last week, moving forward I’d take less cash next time and use the post office card, I always have a back up credit card as well with me, done money cards before but found them a hassle
Old 17 Jul 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
4holibobs
VIP Dibber

We are having this dilemma at the moment... I already have a Staling account so no issues there and I know how it works, however, I like to have cash so I can physically separate it out.. $700 for food, $1500 for general spending $200 for tips etc...
4holibobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List