Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jul 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I’ve been Travelling to the US every year since ESTAs started being used and never had anyone check for ESTA in queue before checkin.
I was just going to say similar.

We always do OLCI and the only time an ESTA is mentioned from memory, is the question to ask if you have one.

Perhaps the person refused boarding allowed the other passenger to do their API and that person assumed the other person had one. Perhaps it wasn’t until the passenger information got sent over to the US that the lack of an ESTA or VISA flagged up, ie just prior to boarding.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
If he was going for work purposes wouldn't he have needed a visa? I've always thought estas were for holidays.
Hi Mary It can be confusing... a limited amount of those travelling to the US for business can do so via VWP/ESTA... those holding a business visa must apply for ESTA if travelling on vacation.

Hope you're well Mary
Old 20 Jul 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Mary It can be confusing... a limited amount of those travelling to the US for business can do so via VWP/ESTA... those holding a business visa must apply for ESTA if travelling on vacation.

Hope you're well Mary
Thanks Chris, difficult times family wise, but we carry on x

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Whe DD worked at Glasgow Airport, if people didn't have esta , at check-in, they would do their best to get computer access there and then so they could apply. Most times it was a happy outcome xx
Hope all is well with your DD Shirley. Can you please tell her that I am asking for her.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

What a shame, I feel so sorry for the couple. I hope it all got sorted out and they got away on holiday.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

We have to travel indirect (usually via a third country) and our estas are often checked at the gate before boarding the US bound flight.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

What a thing to happen right as you are about to go. It does surprise me though how how many people either don't know about the ESTA or don't know about doing it in plenty of time. One of my work colleagues is going to USA in Sept with her family I asked her if she had an ESTA and she was like yeah I'll do it a couple of days before I go . She didn't know about the 72 Hr thing or how long it could take to get a visa if you get rejected or make a mistake.
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
Yes he was going to a conference so no visa needed.
You still need an Esta though if you don't have a visa to attend a conference. They are not just for leisure.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I've just asked my step-daughter if she has done hers for February - no as told by the person organising the trip to leave it until November as it lasts longer!

She is going to twirl mania so part of a group, suggested that she gets it done now but I'm sure it will be fine
Old 20 Jul 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I’ve been Travelling to the US every year since ESTAs started being used and never had anyone check for ESTA in queue before checkin.
Same here Manie, never had ESTA, or B2 visa, pre check-in inspected. Wonder if it's an American carrier procedure. As we check in circa 70 mins afore push back, when desks are empty, we only see desk staff.