Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Jul 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Alamo brits

Can you actually book a pickup

Edited at 12:06 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Do you mean an F150 truck?

About three years ago there were four in the MCO Alamo full size line in garage B?

Not sure that you can book one though

Mick

Edited at 02:21 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I had some trucks come up for me to choose when I was searching recently, but not the F150s they were other makes. Can't remember which site it was on now though.
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
VIP Dibber

mike4scuba's Reviews
Mobile

Yes we had the ford f150 on our last visit 2 years ago. Think it was in large car section

Mco to mco
2017 All Stars Movies
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Unless Andy at DFCH can help specifically on booking I'd still say it was random at MCO. It's a 24/7 operation so people are returning cars all day from 12.01am to 11.59pm from over 800 flights in the day not just the half dozen from the UK?

Really depends on the current fleet based at MCO and how and when they get them back to either side A or B.

Mick
Old 22 Jul 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

Mobile

We had a F150 last year as it was bizarrely a choice (along with a couple of Ram1500s) in the FullSize CAR section. I asked Andy at DFCH about booking a Pickup out of Tampa for next year and the only quote he could get me was for RAM 1500 or similar with Hertz. I think if you search his site you can see a quote for a Nissan Frontier (or similar) on there too.

Whilst I enjoyed the experience of driving the F150 for a couple of weeks it wasn't without its challenges on the airport runs with bags having to go in the cab.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn321
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DanLees View Post
Whilst I enjoyed the experience of driving the F150 for a couple of weeks it wasn't without its challenges on the airport runs with bags having to go in the cab.
I drive a ram, so cant vouch for the F150, but i think they both have quite a large load area towards the rear of the vehicle!

On a more serious note there is usually some storage under the rear seats (not tons, but can get a few small bags in there).
martyn321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
thehoggmeister
Trainee Dibber

If you search Autoeurope then a Dodge Ram 1500 pick up comes up under Dollar Diamond and Thrifty Saphire. I have booked one for August this year so I will see how it goes.
It was loads cheaper than a full size SUV and you can get Topcashback. I got it for £438 for two weeks including 4 drivers and a tank of fuel.
The rear seats flip up for putting in luggage to save it getting wet in the flat bed. There are only 3 of us so there should be plenty of room to do this.
thehoggmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by martyn321 View Post
I drive a ram, so cant vouch for the F150, but i think they both have quite a large load area towards the rear of the vehicle!

On a more serious note there is usually some storage under the rear seats (not tons, but can get a few small bags in there).
Which is fine unless you're driving through a thunderstorm or want to leave your bags in the vehicle unattended.

We put the smallest kid in the middle seat at the front and piled the bags on seat floor in the back of the cab.

To be fair though, if there's one in the FullSize car line at Tampa in February, I'll probably grab one again.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

We originally had a Hyundai Santa Fe in May this year, picked up from Tampa Airport. After a few days I noticed it had a coolant leak so rang Alamo who told me they would exchange it. To save returning to the airport (from AMI) they told me they would try and find something locally. I mentioned that I had booked an SUV due to hip and knee probs and they came back and said no SUVs were available but National (sister company I believe) had a Ford F150 available in Cortez. Bit dubious but I agreed and went to exchange the vehicles. It was pretty new, in white, rather large and bloody gorgeous. Easy to drive, spacious (the 'table' between the front seats converted to a third seat, in the back you could have held a party, the space below the back seats was completely clear and would have comfortably taken a couple of suitcases. There was only the two of us and we weren't going to do a high mileage (dash told me 18.7 mpg). The rear bed had a liner but no cover so I wouldn't recommend anyone thinking of putting their cases in the back, there was only the two of us and we travel very light anyway. Great experience and I'd certainly rent one again.
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List