Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Dec 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I love it how people attempt to compare running their own business to a multi billion dollar industry with untold variables and untold investment as if it is remotely the same 😁

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
I love it how people attempt to compare running their own business to a multi billion dollar industry with untold variables and untold investment as if it is remotely the same 😁
It was an 'anology' to highlight Disney's greed and not a comparison between a part time self employed person and a multi billion pound company.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
It is complete nonsense to suggest that Disney is overcharging guests to reduce crowd numbers, and then over filling MK for Halloween and Christmas events to rake in every last cent!
People say that they aren't going to Disney any more because it's too expensive. They say that Disney is pricing people out. This implies that overcharging guests and reducing standards should reduce the number of people visiting. That's what I'd expect.

And yet, as you point out, far more people are choosing to pay more to visit the Halloween and Christmas events than ever before. People are rushing to celebrate Halloween in mid-August (!) such that the first MNSSHP of the year tends to sell out. Disney isn't forcing them to go to these things. More people choose to pay ever increasing amounts to go to them - even though, for years, lots of people have said that these events are far too busy. Same goes for visiting the parks in general or staying onsite; the reason why Disney is building more hotels is to cope with the increasing demand. And I assume more people choose to pay more each year to visit WDW, stay onsite, attend events, eat in restaurants (etc) because they want to and because they enjoy it and they think it is worth it. There will be millions of people who visited this year who enjoyed themselves and who are planning to visit again sometime in the future.

As Claudette said near the beginning of this thread, if people don't like what Disney is doing then they should vote with their feet. Don't visit WDW. The only thing Disney will listen to is a drop in their profits, not a few thousand online complaints. Some people do vote with their feet. However, although I've seen threads like this moaning about Disney's falling standards and increasing prices for many years, it seems the people who actually feel concerned enough about these things to vote with their feet are in the minority. Visitor numbers increase despite the supposed impact to Disney's reputation from a vocal few.

What Disney is doing may not be acceptable to you. It would appear millions of less vocal others seem to disagree.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 01:59 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
People say that they aren't going to Disney any more because it's too expensive. They say that Disney is pricing people out. This implies that overcharging guests and reducing standards should reduce the number of people visiting. That's what I'd expect.

And yet, as you point out, far more people are choosing to pay more to visit the Halloween and Christmas events than ever before. People are rushing to celebrate Halloween in mid-August (!) such that the first MNSSHP of the year tends to sell out. Disney isn't forcing them to go to these things. More people choose to pay ever increasing amounts to go to them - even though, for years, lots of people have said that these events are far too busy. Same goes for visiting the parks in general or staying onsite; the reason why Disney is building more hotels is to cope with the increasing demand. And I assume more people choose to pay more each year to visit WDW, stay onsite, attend events, eat in restaurants (etc) because they want to and because they enjoy it and they think it is worth it. There will be millions of people who visited this year who enjoyed themselves and who are planning to visit again sometime in the future.

As Claudette said near the beginning of this thread, if people don't like what Disney is doing then they should vote with their feet. Don't visit WDW. The only thing Disney will listen to is a drop in their profits, not a few thousand online complaints. Some people do vote with their feet. However, although I've seen threads like this moaning about Disney's falling standards and increasing prices for many years, it seems the people who actually feel concerned enough about these things to vote with their feet are in the minority. Visitor numbers increase despite the supposed impact to Disney's reputation from a vocal few.

What Disney is doing may not be acceptable to you. It would appear millions of less vocal others seem to disagree.
all based on the assumptions that everyone who visits is a returning guest and for everyone who will not return, more will arrive so I am unsure that is actually is a barometer of anything.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
all based on the assumptions that everyone who visits is a returning guest and for everyone who will not return, more will arrive so I am unsure that is actually is a barometer of anything.
I'm assuming that at least some people are returning guests, not everyone. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable assumption given that many DIBBers are repeat visitors.

Based on actual facts, in the many years that people have been complaining about Disney, the numbers of visitors to WDW has been increasing, year-on-year. So, yes, the facts show that for everyone who decides they won't return more have arrived. And DIBBers still keep on saying that there are more people at WDW now than there were in previous years (although there may be signs that it might be levelling off?).

Disney seems to think the numbers of onsite visitors will increase. As has been pointed out, they are building more hotels so they are betting lots of money on there being more guests. Not all of those people will be new visitors. Many will be repeat visitors. Even if only 20% are repeat visitors (and I suspect the figure is higher than that) then that's around 10 million people a year who are happy to visit again.

Disney's reputation was mentioned earlier. I'm actually hoping that's Disney's perceived reputation does drop and that this has a noticeable affect on visitor numbers. I'm somewhat self-centred and want the crowds to reduce. It'll improve my time at the parks, increasing the availability of fastpasses, make restaurants less busy, increase availability of rooms at resorts for me to book in future, etc.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
We didn’t buy any bottle water. Was always pop. Two reasons cos didn’t like taste of the water and cos I don’t wanna pay for water then soda is 50c more.

If the free water was better that would be great. Still didn’t like it with the squash stuff in
What about for your kids though? Surely they aren’t drinking fizzy drinks all day in the heat?
Old 13 Dec 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

There has been a big shift in how Disney treats its "guests" - for various reasons on their part, I'm sure.

They used to be leaders in the customer service field; studied by others because of it. It was part of the 'magic' and 'pixie dust' and they don't seem to think it matters in the same way anymore. At the moment, I guess they're not finding it does matter, but that doesn't mean it's a solid foundation for the future.

A significant downturn in the guest experience might affect Disney more slowly compared to other businesses - because of their old reputation for excellence and the way each generation wanted to take the next for their "first Disney visit", but you can't rely on an old reputation forever.

Besides, if you want to reduce numbers (which we've already noted is contradicted by other developments at Disney) offering poorer quality and showing a decline in respect for your customers would not be great business sense. If you, simply, want to ease customer numbers, you might offer less for more money - but not less in terms of quality. That's just undermining your future business!

~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
... if people don't like what Disney is doing then they should vote with their feet...
Or, if they choose to, they can chat about it on a Disney forum. Or visit and hope things improve. Or visit and enjoy what works for them and lament the losses. Or... Or...

In other words: There are no 'shoulds'.

~~~~~~~

Obviously, it's all about perspectives and opinions. I've just never known Disney to have earned as many negative ones (on- and offline) as over the last few years.

Of course, I don't know millions of people, like others might!

Regardless, we're allowed to be concerned about what's happening to something we've loved one way or another.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 08:12 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

It’s true about us Brits we do moan about everything. People moan that Disney charge extra for parking at the resorts now but Universal been doing this for years, Photos cost extra and if u want to skip the lines that also will cost you extra. Even Merlin parks rip off there guests with extra charges for attractions and fast track tickets
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
It’s true about us Brits we do moan about everything. People moan that Disney charge extra for parking at the resorts now but Universal been doing this for years, Photos cost extra and if u want to skip the lines that also will cost you extra. Even Merlin parks rip off there guests with extra charges for attractions and fast track tickets
We even moan about other people's (alleged) moans!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Or, if they choose to, they can chat about it on a Disney forum. Or visit and hope things improve. Or visit and enjoy what works for them and lament the losses. Or... Or...
Well, yes, they can do those things. And they do. All the time. We're doing it right now - the chatting about it on a Disney forum, that is. No one is stopping them from doing those things you mention.

But doing those things will not actually make Disney change what it does. If Disney sees that it can reduce costs (and, thus, reduce the quality of service) whilst visitor numbers keep on increasing and more people continue to pay to do the extra things (like party nights, dessert parties, drink around the World, etc) then Disney will keep on reducing costs. Because it can. Because it has little to no impact on its profits. Service will continue to deteriorate and Disney's profits will continue to increase.

It's up to people to decide whether they continue to moan about things on the internet like they have done for years or whether they choose to actually do something about it. I was offering a suggestion of what they should do. But, ultimately, it's up to them. I suspect these people will continue to moan but continue to visit, perhaps hoping that things might improve.

(Personally, I think it's only a relatively small number of people who are actually bothered about these things. And then there's a relatively small number of people who moan about these things but aren't particularly bothered enough about it. Meanwhile the vast majority of folks are still quite happy to visit WDW. You may have a different opinion).

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Of course, I don't know millions of people, like others might!
I don't know millions of people either.

I do know that over 157 million people visited the various Disney theme parks around the world last year - an increase of about 5% (over 7 million people) from the previous year. All of the Disney parks in Orlando saw increases in crowd numbers last year - and the number of guests in 2017 was more than in 2016 too. Clearly, Disney must be doing something "right" to attract increasing numbers of guests, some of whom are repeat visitors, each year?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:41 PM.