Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 3 Dec 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We are off to Mexico soon. I had read a lot about tipping at our hotel so emailed the manager to ask. He said it wasn’t expected but the staff would appreciate it. Reviews clearly said you get better service if you do. We always tip at AIs in Europe but not a lot, €1 per person per day for housekeeping and €1 a round if service at the bar tables is quick. We have noticed that people who tip get served quickly.

We found this guide to tipping when we were looking around.

gettingstamped/tipping-in-mexico-guide/
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I haven't been AI for a couple years and we usually go to the Canaries not further afield, we tip the bar staff a couple of Euros each night.
We went to Tunisia in 2010 and tipped there and received outstanding service! but I am aware that it was a hard time for the tourist business there and many Tunisians had been out of work in the service area.

Personally I would tip a little but would definitely not tip someone who came knocking on the door asking for a tip ...Yes You Fuerteventura hotel maid !
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

I've only been AI once but we didn't tip. I guess I might if I asked for something special or one of the staff went out of their way
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

Just back from 4 nights/ 5 days in an all inclusive hotel in Cyprus. Staff were incredibly attentive and service was faultless. I put 10euros in the tip box in both the restaurant and bar at the end of the stay
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by paw View Post
We are off to Mexico soon. I had read a lot about tipping at our hotel so emailed the manager to ask. He said it wasn’t expected but the staff would appreciate it. Reviews clearly said you get better service if you do. We always tip at AIs in Europe but not a lot, €1 per person per day for housekeeping and €1 a round if service at the bar tables is quick. We have noticed that people who tip get served quickly.

We found this guide to tipping when we were looking around.

gettingstamped/tipping-in-mexico-guide/
So you have to bribe staff to get them to do the job they are paid to do- give good service?
Old 3 Dec 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hmr89 View Post
Just back from 4 nights/ 5 days in an all inclusive hotel in Cyprus. Staff were incredibly attentive and service was faultless. I put 10euros in the tip box in both the restaurant and bar at the end of the stay
We are off to Paphos AI tomorrow , can't wait for a bit of sun.
Old 14 Dec 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
larky
slightly serious Dibber

I bought “tipping packs” in Tesco currency exchange kiosk today. Each pack contains $20 in $1 bills to use as tips. Going to use them for our Mexico trip in February.
larky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
We are off to Paphos AI tomorrow , can't wait for a bit of sun.

We didn't tip at the hotel but did when we were out and about for coffees and meals, they did look very surprised though.
Old 21 Dec 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gydion
Looking for my Ears

Tipping is for good service, not an obligatory undertaking. It should not 'improve' the service you receive, but be seen as a thank you, an appreciation, of the good service you should expect from those employed in the industry.
Gydion is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We have only been AI once, but we did tip the bar person a euro each time we went up for a drink. They used to start pouring ours when they saw us walking towards them, so I think we got better service by doing so. This was quite a “reasonably priced” hotel in Gran Canaria though, not posh at all. We didn’t tip anyone else.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List