Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 20 Jun 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Are specs cheaper in Florida?

Just been told I need varifocals and nearly fainted when I was told the prices.

Would I get a bargain if I got some glasses in Florida?
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Not sure I would class anything as a bargain with the current exchange rate, but they are certainly cheaper.

We have been using Walmart opticians for years. DH and I alternate each trip replacing our glasses and prescription sunglasses. We get a free eye test in UK just before we go and take prescription with us. Walmart have a good choice of frames and usually quote up to 2 weeks wait but we've always had them back within 7-10 days. (We always order on Day 1 of our 3 week trip to give us time to wear them and go back for any adjustments). Always found the staff very knowledgeable. DH just could not adjust to his first pair of varifocals, so was all set the next year to go back to normal glasses. The assistant instead spent a half hour giving him a lesson on how to wear varifocals properly, which made a huge difference. Walmart also have offers like BOGOF or Buy 1 get 20% off 2nd pair (and these dont have to be for the same person/prescription).

I've also had a pair once from Lenscrafters in Florida Mall on a same day service, but it's a bit more costly.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

I would echo pretty much everything SKB123 says
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Walmart made my new glasses, they took less than 48 hrs. I had frames, extra thin lenses, transitions and UV coating. They also come with magnetic sunglasses clips, they were $277.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
mre15
I want to go now!

Just order online from Selectspecs.com way cheaper than UK or US stores.
mre15 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Getting Excited

Try Asda Opticians . My wife has 2 pairs of glasses 1 varifocal and 1 reading and total costs was £149. Good value and just as good as Specsavers etc.
Pagan8c is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thanks for your responses.

Sadly our local Asda does not have an Optical department.

My concern about using an online company is getting the fit correct.

Next time we go to Florida, I will look at Walmart x
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post
Thanks for your responses.

Sadly our local Asda does not have an Optical department.

My concern about using an online company is getting the fit correct.

Next time we go to Florida, I will look at Walmart x
I’m a dispensing optician and work for one of the well known online opticians... if you need the glasses adjusted we do that for you 😊 please don’t be put off buying glasses online they have the same qualified staff as a high street optician (I myself am GOC registered!)
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

How does that work online?

I buy my varifocals from Asda. If there is one in a distance distance I’d take a look. They are very reasonable.

Specsavers aren’t to bad either. But they charge for lots of extras that’s asda include
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
How does that work online?

I buy my varifocals from Asda. If there is one in a distance distance I’d take a look. They are very reasonable.

Specsavers aren’t to bad either. But they charge for lots of extras that’s asda include
We send a free post label with the glasses, so if you need them adjusted you can send them with an old pair for reference or with a description of where and how much they need adjusting. This goes to one of us dispensing opticians to carry out and then we return the specs back to you.
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List