Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 27 Jun 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

The repeater is to boost your WiFi out into the garden. If you plug that one into a socket as close to the garden as you can.

You could then plug the other one in the front of the house near the Xbox where you could hard wire it into the box and provide stronger WiFi there for other devices.

You could then move the router back to where it was which I assume is where the master socket to the house is. If the master socket is elsewhere it may be worth rethinking.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thank you for all your best endeavours but sadly in you trying to explain things simply I am more confused than when you started.
I think you mean I just buy the item you linked to , put my existing router in the lounge , put the small unit from your link and one of the big units in the front room , and the other big unit on the conservatory
But the use of the terms extenders and repeaters is confusing me massively unfortunately as you seem to be using these words interchangeably for different things - but as I said I am a tech dunce and must be reading it wrongly.
It doesn’t help me when the likes of amazon include all the ‘ buzz words’ - extender/repeater/booster/adapter - in their descriptions to draw as much traffic as possible to their item , but the products are different

Thank you again for your efforts
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 08:23 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Where is the main phone socket into the house?

That's the best place for you router. If we start there then we can work outwards.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

You are very patient coming back for more !
The answer to the above is I don’t know ( don’t know how to tell ) but I would presume it’s in the front room as that’s on an outside wall and the one in the lounge is on an internal wall
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

All this talk of repeaters is confusing OP I fear.

Repeaters as 400 has indicted are a cheap and imperfect solution. I have always found them crap to be honest.

Powerlines (if you have good household wiring) are good for plugging one thing in one end and connecting it via LAN (wire) to your router. There are some Powerline adapters with a wireless repeater on the end, but they are also far from great.

Mesh networks are relatively new in the domestic space and will solve most problems. One plugs into the back of your router. It then transmits a ‘backhaul’ channel from it to its ‘satellites’. Each satellite acts as a ‘router’ your wireless device connects to, but it’s seamless. You only ever see one ‘router’ on your WiFi connection, and your device jumps around automatically and seamlessly to the nearest satellite. In other words you don’t know it’s there.

So you spread these satellites out over your house. And they blanket it in a wireless mesh, which is as far as you are concerned, your one wireless connection.

So I have my router near the front of my house behind my tv. So the main wireless mesh unit plugs in there. I then have a satellite upstairs, but over to the right side of the house in a bedroom. This one covers the upper floors over that side of the house.

I have another in my office at the back of the house. This serves my iMac there (another good thing is the wireless mesh satellites have LAN (hardwired ports) on them so my Mac is plugged straight into that satellite for even better connection, but it could connect wirelessly). That satellite sends good signal out all over the back of my house, the bedrooms above it and that side of my garden- I get 400 meg on my decking,

Then finally a I have a satellite in my conservatory, which serves that side of the garden, the bedrooms above it, kitchen etc. My son also has his Xbox in there, so could connect wirelessly to that but for even better connection plugs his Xbox into the back of the satellite via a cable.

If you came to my house, unless you noticed my satellites dotted around you would be oblivious to this. You would connect to ‘Yorkshire T’s WiFi’ and no matter where you went in my house or garden you would get stellar wireless internet speeds as your device automatically locked onto the strongest signal, probably coming from the nearest satellite but you’d have no idea it was jumping around.

That’s the beauty of the mesh network and it is by far the best solution to strong WiFi throughout your property which is why it has taken off like it has.

Mesh comes in different flavours. There’s cheaper ones like the Tenda MW6, more basic Orbi etc and many others which are still normally a massive improvement over the standard router. Then you get the high end Orbi which has massive antennas in it so it really throws out the signal and it uses a high band wireless channel dedicated solely to sharing the data with the satellites whereas the cheaper ones use standard WiFi’s channels to do that.

But get your new router and see how that goes. It may have better transmitters in it, so you may get an ‘adequate’ signal further away, but it won’t give you the full speeds a mesh can give you all over.

Good luck.

Edited at 08:58 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

So are repeaters just what others have called boosters earlier in the thread ( the things that rely on a WiFi signal to reach where you put the booster ) ?

Are extenders just what others called powerline adapters ? That rely on the mains

Because I was with it when people were just talking boosters and powerline adapters

It confused me more when I was recommended a powerline adapter with a repeater ( when I thought a repeater was a different piece of kit I would have to buy separately not something that was attached to the adapter ) but then the link referred to some kit with two extenders - and then I was told extenders weren’t recommended

Having earlier as far as I was concerned been told repeaters were not the best route

It all got mighty confusing I am afraid

( edited Three Times because I then got extenders and repeaters mixed up myself in my descriptions)

Edited at 09:31 PM.
Old 27 Jun 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

In the context here the extender is a plug in device that does not need to be able to see the existing WiFi signal to work. It connects to the router via another powerline adapter connected to the router via the power network in the house.

You can normally tell where the master socket is from the outside of the house where the phone line comes into the house. Assuming it is, the Xbox is in the front room as well?

That would make the best place for the router as you want it on the master socket if possible. This is how you currently have it I believe.

If the lounge is then getting a good enough signal then you can leave it as is as well.

In the front room you need a powerline adapter which just has an Ethernet connection (connector for a wire). You plug this In near the router and then connect the supplied cable between the router and the powerline adapter. If you are short of power sockets you can get powerline adapters with plug pass through a on them.

You then get a powerline extender to plug into a socket as close as you can to the garden. This will create a WiFi signal for there and will pass network traffic over the power network back to the router.

Something like amazon/BT-Wi-Fi-Ho.../dp/B015E3MJY2

See how you get on with Sky first if they are going to give you a free device, even if it is the one that relies on the existing WiFi. It may be enough and if it is free then great.

If that doesn't work then consider the powerline option, or a mesh.

Edited at 09:19 PM.
Old 27 Jun 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thank you both for all your patience

I am now finally with it 😀😀
Old 27 Jun 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Let us know how you get on.

Hopefully the Sky kit will get you working.
Old 28 Jun 20, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

My sky broadband is awful
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List