Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 20 May 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

Gulf Coast Conundrum

So this is our fifth year in a row and I was hoping to do some different things - Florida is such an amazing place after all!

I though we could stay for a few days (maybe 4 or 5) on the Gulf Coast - somewhere within 2 hours driving of Orlando.

We have only ever stayed in Orlando and really love Universal's Cabana Bay resort - love the facilities.

She (who must be obeyed) really likes to relax on holiday, so no cooking, etc - so beach condos, and villas are out of the question.

Problem is that I can't see many Gulf Hotel resorts that have the facilities similar to Orlando hotels - plus we also need at least one extra bedroom (or division) for the eldest son.

A lot of the accommodation I've seen is either mad price £300 plus per night - or beach hut condo style

Any suggestions from your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
asmidir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Just because your DW doesn't want to cook why does that stop you from hiring a villa?
Old 20 May 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

I guess its the convenience of food and drink instantly available that makes us prefer hotels - and yes I know we could walmart/publix a villa, somehow it's just not the same...
asmidir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyM
Getting Excited

Mobile

I’ve booked Best Western hotels in Siesta Key, Sarasota and Naples for this summer. Approx $100 a night each hotel including breakfast for 2 adults and a teenager. Not too bad a price considering many of the hotels on offer. Beach front hotels are significantly more expensive. Gulf coast is also very expensive when you compare with hotels in Orlando.
Old 21 May 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by asmidir View Post
Problem is that I can't see many Gulf Hotel resorts that have the facilities similar to Orlando hotels - plus we also need at least one extra bedroom (or division) for the eldest son.:
Yep. As you rightly observe, the coast is a different animal.

And if you want a resort style hotel, you ARE looking at much higher prices and more limited choice than a simple hotel only.

We stayed at the mid range Grand Plaza Resort in St Pete Beach last year. Very popular wedding hotel, but has 2 decent restaurants and a convenient location.

Nearby there are other options like the budget Dolphin, or the better appointed Guy Harvey Outpost or the TradeWinds.

But honestly? As soon as you mention needing 2 bedrooms, you are looking at a condo or apt, whther you use the kitchen or not. Have a look at the Sunset Vista in Treasure Island.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We are staying at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota for 3 nights. The hotel overlooks the bay. They run a free shuttle bus which runs from the hotel through (and stops here) Armand Circle (lots of shops and restaurants) then on to the private beach club on lido key.

If you want cheaper then how about St Petes, Clearwater?
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
We are staying at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota for 3 nights. The hotel overlooks the bay. They run a free shuttle bus which runs from the hotel through (and stops here) Armand Circle (lots of shops and restaurants) then on to the private beach club on lido key.

If you want cheaper then how about St Petes, Clearwater?
I’ve stayed there a few times Minnie - one of my favourites. Beach club is lovely
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

A few suggestions for St Pete Beach.

The Sirata Beach, The Alden Resort, Beach House Suites by Don Cesar or the Bon Aire Resort.
Old 21 May 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

We have stayed in the St Pete's / Treasure Island / Indian Rocks area for many years now. We have to have a view of water but have gone from beach front condos to Waterfront villa's now -for the space, privacy, private pool, dock for fishing, cycles and canoes at the villa. And I never cook Lots of fantastic restaurants in easy walking distance. I would never go back to a hotel again. Try Homeaway.com (pay using a pre-paid dollar card) for some inspiration
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

Thanks guys for all the advice so far - I've seen some suites at Treasure Island - Sunset Vista - which look good and quite like the look of John's Pass
I've got some planning to do...