Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 9 Jan 20, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mr&mrslightyear
Imagineer

mr&mrslightyear's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile Disability scooter advice etc for feb My husband broke his back and this is all new to us.

Hi looking for info and advice taking a mobility scooter. Hubby has been given a fit to fly note. We are travelling Gatwick to mco with BA and hoping to get the lynx bus to the Rosen inn at pointe. We have universal and seaworld passes.
How easy is it to get an accessible taxi to sea world. I understand there are buses from resort to universal that accommodates the mobility scooter.
We are obviously new to this and looking for any help or advice. We have decided to go ahead with the trip and my parents have booked to come help with the kids. But they’re flying from a different airport / flight.
Old 9 Jan 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

No idea how to help but good luck. Hope you have amazing holiday
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
mr&mrslightyear
Imagineer

Mobile

Thankyou seems no one does 🤷😂
Old 10 Jan 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mr&mrslightyear View Post
Hi looking for info and advice taking a mobility scooter. Hubby has been given a fit to fly note. We are travelling Gatwick to mco with BA and hoping to get the lynx bus to the Rosen inn at pointe. We have universal and seaworld passes.
How easy is it to get an accessible taxi to sea world. I understand there are buses from resort to universal that accommodates the mobility scooter.
We are obviously new to this and looking for any help or advice. We have decided to go ahead with the trip and my parents have booked to come help with the kids. But they’re flying from a different airport / flight.
Can you cofirm that you are hoping to get the Lynx bus (no42 I think) from Orlando Airport to the Rosen Inn at Pointe. After a long journey from Gatwick would it be possible to look into pre-arranging a transfer to the hotel or perhaps Uber. Will you be meeting your parents at the airport or are they going to the Rosen separately?
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

In terms of buses, I would be very cautious of using public transport i.e. Lynx style buses as they have limited capacity for scooters so if there's already one on there you will have to wait for the next one. Mears transport might be a better option to arrange as I believe they have scooter accessible cars and buses that you can prebook which would take this issue away. I'd probably contact Mears to check if they have any options. We always hire a car as its easier with getting around with the scooter but obviously this means getting a van which adds to the costs and requires someone willing to drive in the US so no direct experience unfortunately. Good luck and hope you have a great holiday.
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
terriandaaron
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

The buses can be a nightmare with scooters as they only have capacity for one scooter this means often long waits , with my dad once we waited 3 buses for a space , now we always rent a car .
terriandaaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Not considered hiring a car?

We hired a scooter a few years ago for my wife and its easy to get into a car.

If you do this, make sure you get a light one though. First time we got one that was portable and fitted in a car but, you had to take it apart (as you do for all of them) but it was still VERY heavy. In 95F heat not cool. I'm a big lad, if roles had been reversed and she had to lift it out she wouldnt have been able.

Year after we go a much lighter one (and it was less pieces and easier to put back together).

Of course, with a scooter in you car you get to park in disabled spaces at WDW too. (still got to pay though!)
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sasperella
Apprentice Imagineer

sasperella's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have you requested Special Assistance at the airport? Helpful!

Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando. Easter 2013, Sept/Oct 2015, Nov/Dec 2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018
AKL 2019, 2020, 2022. Beach Club 2023
sasperella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mr&mrslightyear
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Can you cofirm that you are hoping to get the Lynx bus (no42 I think) from Orlando Airport to the Rosen Inn at Pointe. After a long journey from Gatwick would it be possible to look into pre-arranging a transfer to the hotel or perhaps Uber. Will you be meeting your parents at the airport or are they going to the Rosen separately?

Meeting them at the Rosen we think depending on when they land / we get through passport control.
Old 14 Jan 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mr&mrslightyear
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by terriandaaron View Post
The buses can be a nightmare with scooters as they only have capacity for one scooter this means often long waits , with my dad once we waited 3 buses for a space , now we always rent a car .
My husband can’t drive atm and I’m not willing too. Happy with busses