Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 14 Sep 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
spoonarama
Getting Excited

Mobile Feeding 9 month old

Not sure if this is the right place but it's food related!

In March we're bringing our baby for his first Disney World trip and he'll be bang on 9 months the day we fly. We're staying on site at POFQ week 1 then in a villa week 2. It's our first baby so it's all still very new (he's not yet 4 months old). I'm trying to work out what he'll be eating by then in order to plan food shopping / how much baggage I'll need! I had thought I'd be bringing about a suitcase full of Aptamil as I know it's not available in the US but now I think about it he'll be weaned by then. So we'll still bring some milk, but will need "real" food too. Can anyone advise what we might need to get for him? Should I be ordering lots of jars of baby food from garden grocer etc. Or can I buy baby food in the parks? Or will I be able to buy really basic stuff like plain chicken and toast etc for him at most places? 2nd week in the Villa is easy as we can hit walmart and cook for him at home but at Disney I really don't know what we should do!
spoonarama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If you do baby led weaning then he can just be given food from your plate, have a google of baby led weaning and see if it suits.
They still need milk at 9 months aswell but I don't really know what as I breastfed so never had to worry about formula
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

My grandson came with us when he was 10-11 months. Food was easy. He liked to eat fresh fruit and lots of veggies (we were at OKW so had a kitchen). As I write this, I think having a kitchen was most helpful. Any chance you can swing OKW or SSR? Also washer and dryer were great.

I did a trip to Whole Foods and picked up baby yogurt, fruit and finger food as well as eggs. He was in his bread phase and Whole Foods has some wonderful whole grain breads, He usually ate a bit off his parents' plates-small pieces of chopped chicken or fish. One thing he gobble down was the turkey meatloaf at BOG, He would have had a second helping but would not touch the steamed broccoli.

Edited at 07:52 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Mobile

Please don't worry there's always plenty of food places that you will find something for the little one to eat 👍🏻 We have taken all 3 of our DDS from them being around 8months old (there now 21, 18 &6) and never had a problem finding things for them too eat.

I would definitely recommend that you take the formula milk with you (you can pre order it from Boots at Manchester and collect it airside) but notsure about other airports & just pack plenty of little "snack" type foods, rice cakes, cheerios etc.

The baby care centres in the parks are also a godsend, you can warm food, bottles, they have changing stations, sterilising facilities etc as well as selling baby food etc 👍🏻

You'll have a fantastic time & it's not as stressful as you think 💙💕
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyismybff
Excited about Disney

You'll still need the Aptamil at nine months if that's what you're using now. Switching to plain cow's milk comes later for most babies, as there are extras in the formula to help with growth and brain development. You can certainly get formula stateside but it will be different, so probably easiest for baby if you bring along a supply of what you know from home.

All four parks have baby care centres ans I cannot recommend them enough. They are quiet, cool, and darker than other places in the park, designed to eliminate the things that can overstimulate babies in a theme park. There are places to change and feed babies, high chairs and microwaves/hot water for mixing formula or warming food, etc. If you get stuck without something, you can buy it there- nappies, jarred baby food, formula, etc. I think they had the equivalent of calpol if I remember correctly. And they had cast members who were extra awesome with babies. One time I was there the entire room was staffed with grandmothers that were basically all fairy godmothers at heart I think! (This is also where they bring children who are lost, so everyone who works in that room is a bit of a child whisperer, I think!)

As for Port Orleans, there is a microwave in the food court, but that could be a big pain for how often you'd need it. It's worth a call to the hotel to ask if you could have one in the room. I haven't done that at WDW but did at a Disney hotel in California and they brought a small microwave to our room for the whole stay, no charge, and that made things much easier. Worth a shot!

And another vote for baby led weaning if you're open to it. It worked beautifully for us and it means you're never worrying about jars of baby food. They just continue their milk and eat a little of what you're having.

Have a great time!
mickeyismybff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
spoonarama
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks all lots of helpful and reassuring tips! Does anyone know if we'll have any issues at customs bringing milk and baby food through? Never had to declare anything before, will it add lots of time at security?
spoonarama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 17, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyismybff
Excited about Disney

It doesn't take loads of extra time. It can take an extra minute or two, depending on the day.

The easiest thing on the way out is to do a Boots click and collect order for airside, and then you don't have to worry about it at security at all and it's just ready for you to pick up.

There aren't shops like Boots in American airports, so you would need to take whatever you will need for the plane with you through security. If you're taking powder, that's no problem and they don't even look at it. If you're taking the cartons of premade formula, then they will take a look and a few things can happen. We travelled a lot with DS before he turned one, and we had a few different things happen. Mostly they just waved us through. Once they did the check where they take the tissue over it then put it through the computer to check for explosive residue. Once they opened one and asked me to taste it. (I think this may be a marketing ploy as I immediately needed to go get coffee after security because that stuff is not exactly the nicest. ) And once - and only once - on a very high security day, they opened everything, making it a total waste for the journey. He was fine in the end but I was a nervous wreck. Because of that incident, I would always recommend taking some in powder form even if it's just in case of emergency and to put your mind at ease. You can take the powder through already measured into a bottle or cup and then get hot water airside or from a flight attendant.

All you need to do when you arrive at security is have it all together (giant clear zip bag is perfect and also sensible in your bag in case of spills) and just put it in a tray and say it's baby milk / food. They will take it from there and it's easy to follow.

I never declared baby milk or baby food. I had immigration once ask me if I'd brought food for him and I said 'enough for the journey' and he didn't ask anything further. If you did declare it, it wouldn't have a value that would trigger anything so that wouldn't cause any trouble.

Basically, once you're there it's no problem but I worried about it a lot too, so you're not alone, for sure.
mickeyismybff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List