Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Jun 18, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MickyDC5
Getting to know the DIBB

Back to the airport to get car hire

Hi all

I know this is really sad but one of my favourite parts of our Florida holiday is choosing the car at the airport (I love driving in America)
we always go for a standard SUV but as we have two small children in toe by the time we get to Alamo’s car park all the good SUV’s are usually gone and I’m desperate to get a Ford Explorer or is there a better choice

This year though is slightly different as we are spending the first 5 days in a Disney Hotel so will be using the Magical Express.
Then my thinking is to go back to the airport on my own to get the hire car (now I know I can use the Disney Car Care Centre but I’ve heard the selection isn’t great)

So my question is?... Finally, would I be best off getting to the airport as early as I can? Say 8am? or even earlier? To be honest I’m not sure anyone would know but you never know someone out there may have done the same thing.

Thanks all
MickyDC5 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparky
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I don’t know the answer but applying maybe a little bit of logic... assuming (and there are lots here) they stock the rows early morning, that a lot of arrivals into MCO are transatlantic flights that land in the afternoon, that domestic customers maybe just want a car because they see all the stuff we want all the time... I would say go early morning and you should have more choice. A complete guess, but would like to know if there is a good time.

Disneyworld - Florida, 81,93,06,07,14,16,18,22,23,24
Disneyland - California, 89
Disneyland - Paris, 02,04,05,07,12
Sparky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can't answer your specific question as we always pick up the car on arrival but the hire cars are refreshed 24/7 as MCO basically operates round the clock. The first arrival today for instance was at 00.02am from NYC and I imagine that loads of domestic passengers on that flight would be hiring a car.

By getting there at 8am you'll certainly substantially beat all the direct UK arrivals but as they are a relatively insignificant number in terms of hiring a car I doubt there's much impact.

Mick
Old 12 Jun 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

The timing does not make much difference, cars are being returned all day long, so will appear in the rows as they are cleaned and prepared. You are correct, there is usually much more choice at the airport than at DCC. If you cannot see what you want, either ask staff to see if any are coming through, or try the other garage, they may have what you want.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'd think mid morning or lunchtime would be good , before the transatlantics arrive from Europe but enough time for the day shift to have prepped cars in anticipation of the influx from Europe .

Early morning not so much as you'll have short haul arrivals and possible knock on from late or delayed arrivals the night before so probably not worth getting there too early as they probably have staff valeting more on the day shift.

That'd be my logic anyway !

Edited at 04:08 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

The only thing to bear in mind is that when you make your booking, try to give them an accurate estimated time that you will collect the car - we arrived a couple of hours early last year, (transfer bus from Disney Cruise got us there quicker than anticipated!) and we were charged an extra £34 by Dollar to collect early.
Old 12 Jun 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am American (which I would guess most MCO arrivals are) and I can tell you when booking flights, those that arrive mid morning to noon are the most popular. The direct flight out of my local airport that arrives around 10:30 sells out quickly.

Many Americans also try to book an evening flight home so they don't have to get to the airport before 5 or 6. They then can be home before 11:00.

I would think there are lots of ick ups in the morning and losts of returns in the afternoon. Bare in mind that you only need to arrive one hour early for internal flights.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I tend to take photos of what's in the rows for people who have asked. I do that circa 2.00pm ish when I return the car.
Can I say invariably the rows aren't only full the drivers are jamming the cars in wherever they can find a space!

Of course the big point to make is not what time you collect the car but what time you intend dropping it back. Pick up first thing in the morning and it's due back first thing in the morning. Otherwise you have to pay for an extra day.

With regard to the above poster who got charged extra for arriving early that's typical Dollar sharp practice. Alamo Avis and Hertz wouldn't do that.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

At least by going on your own you would have plenty of time to have a good look around without the family rushing you to grab the first that you see.
You could always ask nicely at the hut for an Explorer as you wouldn’t mind hanging around for a few mins until they find one.
And it’s certainly not sad, lots of us really look forward to the car part of the holiday. 👍

Edited at 06:44 PM.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
MickyDC5
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
At least by going on your own you would have plenty of time to have a good look around without the family rushing you to grab the first that you see.
You could always ask nicely at the hut for an Explorer as you wouldn’t mind hanging around for a few mins until they find one.
And it’s certainly not sad, lots of us really look forward to the car part of the holiday. 👍
Yeah you’re not wrong I can’t wait to be there on my own with all the time in the world
MickyDC5 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List