Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Sep 16, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for the advice. I don't currently have a data plan which allows me to use it in the USA however if I can download map before hand and it works without data allowance then that will be fab. How you go about downloading map of area. Don't worry if it's a long winded amor hard to pass on I will google it
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We used it on our road trip around Canada and the USA last month - didn't let us down once. I'm on Vodafone and pay £5/day abroad to use my UK allowances.
Old 5 Sep 16, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tee1
Imagineer

Here's a shout for Here Now Maps app.

Worked great for me.
tee1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wpalmer
VIP Dibber

Used it for 3 weeks over the summer. No problems at all although I am a 3 customer anyway...
wpalmer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mattyped
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Just an option a free app tomtom go. Totally data free just uses gps and very reliable.
mattyped is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Got the 3 sim and used google maps last year. It's great and will use again next year.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 16, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
irvsax
Excited about Disney

Mobile

As others have mentioned... I use this and it's great. Use it abroad all the time and just download offline maps for the areas I will be visiting.
irvsax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 04:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Do any of these talk to you to let you know of traffic hold ups, alternative routes etc.

I'm so used to using maps, although hubby (from US) is a bad navigator except if he's been somewhere once , when he's ACE!
My uncle gave me a Sony Satnav but as we haven't had a working ciggie lighter for 18months I haven't used it for ages. (Just got car serviced & asked them to sort out lighter) forgot to check if they have.

Have no idea if the Sony one can have US maps installed?

I'm still trying to get a VOIP system up & running on phone to phone daughters in US. Last time it cost us $60 for a US sim - which we used only 1/2 a dozen times or so. Any suggestions as what to use?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
crowie
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
Here's a shout for Here Now Maps app.

Worked great for me.
Seconded.

When I was in Florida in 2015 my own Satnav, with all my saved points of interest, fell off when on my window and subsequently scrambled all my maps, then wiped them completely when I switched it off and on. Cue panic as I still had about 4 days left and a couple of trips to Universal and to the airport to go. Got Here Now maps app, ideal, as good as my satnav ever was and you can use it in offline mode so no data charges. Used it a few times in the UK too, never failed me.
crowie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 16, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
irvsax
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wwishes View Post
Do any of these talk to you to let you know of traffic hold ups, alternative routes etc.

I'm so used to using maps, although hubby (from US) is a bad navigator except if he's been somewhere once , when he's ACE!
My uncle gave me a Sony Satnav but as we haven't had a working ciggie lighter for 18months I haven't used it for ages. (Just got car serviced & asked them to sort out lighter) forgot to check if they have.

Have no idea if the Sony one can have US maps installed?

I'm still trying to get a VOIP system up & running on phone to phone daughters in US. Last time it cost us $60 for a US sim - which we used only 1/2 a dozen times or so. Any suggestions as what to use?
It does give you traffic updates and talk to you but to get the traffic it needs to be 'online'.

Best option for Florida is a 3 feel at home sim. You can get payg or one month rolling contract and unlimited data is about £20 a month and then different amounts of minutes can cost a bit more. Absolutely invaluable in my opinion while away.
irvsax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread