Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Jun 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Another painting furniture question UPDATE/photos post 12

We have ten days before our guest bedroom will have occupants. We have pine furniture in there and would like to do something with it. There is new grey carpet in the room and I have bought new curtains. I don’t think I have sufficient time to the wonderful job that Maria Lynda did on her pine furniture but I had an idea I would like to run through with you. I thought about using grey paint on the top and at the bottom and attaching new metal handles in place of the knobs. Then putting a piece of glass on the top to protect the paint. There is also a pine single wardrobe and I would paint the top and the bottom and, again, attach handles to match the drawer unit.

Thoughts and constructive criticisms invited please.

Edited at 04:00 PM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I think that would work.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
FloRidaLvr
VIP Dibber

Instead of putting new handles on you could always paint them .
Whatever you do please post a picture as I have old pine furniture I would like to paint too !
Florida 95 to 2006, Mexico/Belize 2007, Florida 08 to 2012, California Apr 13, Detroit/Florida April 14 , Naples Nov 14, AMI May 15 , Naples Nov 15, West Coast May 16, AMI Nov 16, Naples Nov 17 , AMI May 18, Naples Nov 18, AMI May 19 , Naples Nov 19, AMI May 22, Bonita Springs Nov 22, Bonita Springs May 23
FloRidaLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just check you can take the knobs off, I have a large set of pine drawers and there's no back to the handles so I can't change them. You could also take the drawers out and paint the facia. Leave the frame pine. Or even wash one area and paint another for a different effect. I've painted loads of ours and it's a different look in each room.
DCL 2019
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Never thought about not being to remove the knobs! I will just go and check. Hang on ...

Phew, yes they have screws in them. All OK there. Thanks for the tip though.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds a good idea, for the handles I like the old fashioned cup ones, or you could get the same as the pine ones, but in metal.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
richard29
Apprentice Imagineer

A while ago I revamped some old pine (very orange looking ) furniture with lime wax and it came out wonderfully.

I just rubbed it all down with middle grain sandpaper then finer sandpaper, cleaned it off and then added a coat of Lime wax. After giving it a polish with a clean soft cloth it was done. I also put new crystal knobs/handles on. It took me a day to do a tall wine rack with lower cupboard and draw, a large chiffonier and three draw chest.
I had a glass top made for the chiffonier.
I'm so glad I did this rather than buy new and it only cost £31 in total to do.
Old 8 Jun 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Originally Posted by richard29 View Post
A while ago I revamped some old pine (very orange looking ) furniture with lime wax and it came out wonderfully.

I just rubbed it all down with middle grain sandpaper then finer sandpaper, cleaned it off and then added a coat of Lime wax. After giving it a polish with a clean soft cloth it was done. I also put new crystal knobs/handles on. It took me a day to do a tall wine rack with lower cupboard and draw, a large chiffonier and three draw chest.
I had a glass top made for the chiffonier.
I'm so glad I did this rather than buy new and it only cost £31 in total to do.
Can we see a photo please?
Old 9 Jun 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Why paint it? It's a lot of work just to be 'in fashion' it looks OK as it is
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 19, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
alp1972
VIP Dibber

alp1972's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi I think that would work or you could paint the whole frame and just leave the drawer fronts pine or maybe wax them a little darker depending on what look you would like and change the handles maybe ? . I love renovating furniture I have painted quite a lot now in my house and think it can give you a whole new look with very little outlay . These are a few .

Good luck with your project

2023: Cabana Bay & Portofino Bay 2022: Caribbean Beach Resort / Portofino Bay / Cabana Bay 2020: Coronado Springs/Portofino 2019: Cabana Bay2017: Coronado Springs & Cabana Bay
2016: New York 2015: LBV Resort and Spa & Portofino Bay 2012: LBV Resort and Spa 2010: San Francisco, Las Vegas and St Lucia, Honeymoon
alp1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List