Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Oct 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Funnyface
Trying for More Ears

Mobile Not Florida related but difficult situation

I know this is a Florida but I’m in a difficult situation and could really do with some advice. Can’t ask anyone close to me.
My brother has recently cheated on his wife and subsequently left her for a new woman who he’s now living with. I really hate this situation as I’ve always been close to my sister in law. Between the two of them being hopeless with money and my brother working for himself, money problems were always the norm. Even though we’re all in our early forties, by the time the house has been sold and debts repaid there will be no money left over. So they are now both broke but separated. I have no concerns for my sister in law because she has moved in, is in the process of buying her own flat and has a decent job but my brother is a different matter.
He is always broke, even though he works hard and I fear for his future. He’s living with his new girlfriend and her children in her rented house and my 14 year old nephew is living with them part time. I pretty much know that my brother has always smoked cannabis and I fear there is now more to be scared of. I’m really scared there is now a stronger drugs habit due to him never having any money. Over the past few months my parents have borrowed him a lot thinking it’s helping him stay afloat when I know for a fact he’s still struggling.
The problem I have is that he’s just today asked me to be guarantor for a loan for him 😳
I felt awful but had to say no. Me and my husband both work for ourselves and both work long hours. Although we’re not struggling we never have any money left over for luxuries. We reign in our nights out and forsake a lot to go to Florida usually every two years (with a bonus one thrown in last year).
I simply cannot put ourselves in this situation because I know how bad my brother is with money let alone what my husband would say.
I just feel really ≈≈≈≈ now though and wish there was something I could do 😢 have I been too hasty in saying no?
Thanks for listening if you’ve got this far x
Funnyface is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraAshley04
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Just wanted to say I think you are doing more in helping him by not financially helping. Otherwise you fund a "potential" habit or you reinforce that someone will always bail him out. Stay strong, be emotionally available but you've done the right thing. Sometimes the kindest things are the hardest. Sending you big hugs x
LauraAshley04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Pollita
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

What an awful situation all around, but I think you've done the right thing. If I was in the same position I'd have to say no too, no matter how bad it made me feel.
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Funnyface View Post
I know this is a Florida but I’m in a difficult situation and could really do with some advice. Can’t ask anyone close to me.
My brother has recently cheated on his wife and subsequently left her for a new woman who he’s now living with. I really hate this situation as I’ve always been close to my sister in law. Between the two of them being hopeless with money and my brother working for himself, money problems were always the norm. Even though we’re all in our early forties, by the time the house has been sold and debts repaid there will be no money left over. So they are now both broke but separated. I have no concerns for my sister in law because she has moved in, is in the process of buying her own flat and has a decent job but my brother is a different matter.
He is always broke, even though he works hard and I fear for his future. He’s living with his new girlfriend and her children in her rented house and my 14 year old nephew is living with them part time. I pretty much know that my brother has always smoked cannabis and I fear there is now more to be scared of. I’m really scared there is now a stronger drugs habit due to him never having any money. Over the past few months my parents have borrowed him a lot thinking it’s helping him stay afloat when I know for a fact he’s still struggling.
The problem I have is that he’s just today asked me to be guarantor for a loan for him 😳
I felt awful but had to say no. Me and my husband both work for ourselves and both work long hours. Although we’re not struggling we never have any money left over for luxuries. We reign in our nights out and forsake a lot to go to Florida usually every two years (with a bonus one thrown in last year).
I simply cannot put ourselves in this situation because I know how bad my brother is with money let alone what my husband would say.
I just feel really ≈≈≈≈ now though and wish there was something I could do 😢 have I been too hasty in saying no?
Thanks for listening if you’ve got this far x
I also think you are right to say no and think you can tell him that you do not have enough left over to bail him out if everything goes wrong.

I also think you need to sit down with your parents, explain what you have said and why they should not guarantee the loan either.

You are in a difficult situation but honesty is the best policy, simply say no and the reason why.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You have made the right decision, well done it can't have been easy.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
You have made the right decision, well done it can't have been easy.
I agree
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

You've made the right decision no doubt about that. Sad to say but he needs to sort his own life out. Can you offer any other support that isn't financial. It's a shame your nephew has to suffer.

Edited at 02:57 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Funnyface
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Thank you all for responding. I know in my heart it was the right thing to do but it’s quite hard to live with it after.
I’m actually worried for how this whole situation is going to pan out in the future 😬 he’s made this a very bad year for our family, especially our parents, with what he’s done but he’s still family so can’t turn our back on him.
Funnyface is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
NikNak
Excited about Disney

What a horrible situation to be in and as difficult as it is, you've 100% done the right thing and hopefully it will benefit him more in the long run too.
Old 11 Oct 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. The first thing I was told as I climbed the ladder when working was it's easy to say yes to the Staff and hard to say no. But you have to sometimes.

The same analogy applies to friends and also family. Yes you could have been a guarantor but you know in your head you did the right thing saying no. Hard to do but he has made his life choices and he is an adult who must learn to stand on his own two feet.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List