Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 19, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile Dash cam?

I was driving home from work last night and parked at traffic lights I noticed the car in front of me put on it’s reverse lights. I didn’t think anything ofcit at first then he edged backwards. I actually thought he had realised he was in wrong lane and was trying to edge back to move over. He didn’t. He moved forward then reverse lights went on again and he just sat there with reverse lights on. This made me feel uneasy then he went forward. I held back and hoped he would go a different way but I was behind him all the way to the town centre. Here I had to stop behind him again. He put his reverse lights on and the guy turned round to look but I thought he was talking to the guy in the back but then he put the reverse lights on again and all 3 of the guys in the car turned round looking at me - it really freaked me out! I’m thinking we’re they planning on reversing into me and claiming I ran into them? Thing that also freaked me out is I was in my own and there were 3 of them. How intimidating it would be if they all got out and accused me so now I’m thinking should I invest in a dash cam? I’m annoyed at thinking about it and the extra expense but I go to work and come home the same way every night and I’m worried they’ve seen me as a potential target as I’m always alone (no witnesses).
Would you get a dash cam? Or am I being daft?
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

We have a dash cam - if that had happened to me I'd be investing in one.

We had too many misses (driving in Leeds can be shocking) - since having the dash cam I worry less.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mmm. I would never have a car now without a dash cam. Far too many loons about plus the cash for crash criminals are also prevalent.

A quite decent camera can be had for about £55. Money in the Bank.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. I mean obviously I don’t want them doing it but also I felt anxious that if they did do it there were 3 of them who were “in on it” and I’d be there on my own with my word against 3. N if you have a dashcam n hopefully nothing happens but if it does n they are accusing you do you just say “it’s ok we will ring the police cos I’ve got dashcam footage”
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

We have dash cams in all our cars, and it's money well spent.

We have the transcend drivepro (about £90 each). I tried a few cheap ones but they never lasted.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all I’ll do a bit of research. I don’t want a huge clunking one but I’d like a visible one - I sort of think perhaps the “threat” of a dashcam might make you less of a target - like the visible burglar alarms they used to say would make burglars think twice.
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
Thank you. I mean obviously I don’t want them doing it but also I felt anxious that if they did do it there were 3 of them who were “in on it” and I’d be there on my own with my word against 3. N if you have a dashcam n hopefully nothing happens but if it does n they are accusing you do you just say “it’s ok we will ring the police cos I’ve got dashcam footage”
If someone deliberately reversed into me and I was a lone driver I would not even mention the dash cam but call the Police. Only when they arrive disclose what you have.

If it's a deliberate crash for cash scenario and only the one witness they will have your dash cam away!

Some toe rag brake checked me a few weeks ago when I was doing 70mph down past Monmouth. He was 3ft off my rear bumper and wanted me to go faster. He was in a 10 year old piece of crap Range Rover held together with blu tack!

I ended up alongside him and pointed to my camera whereupon he disappeared like a rat up a drainpipe. Loser.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I wouldn't tell 3 blokes I have a dashcam as they could grab it out the car if they were dodgy and you would lose the evidence.

It's hard enough to get the police to turn up to real crimes, so they won't want to get involved with a scuff to your bumper as that is nothing to do with them.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thanks all I’ll do a bit of research. I don’t want a huge clunking one but I’d like a visible one - I sort of think perhaps the “threat” of a dashcam might make you less of a target - like the visible burglar alarms they used to say would make burglars think twice.
Mine is a bog standard visible one, but does the job. I got it after a piece of debris came off a fairground ride being towed and hit my car. Needless to say, I've never had another incident, so money well spent.

My brother has a nifty one though, which clips over his rear view mirror. It is simply another rear view mirror, but the dash cam image is a small corner of it. It is not as obvious as mine to passers by.
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

We had front & back ones fitted by the RAC. Worth it for peace of mind. The deal is still in for the RAC fit, the guy cam to our house n fitted them so no wires hanging anywhere, there's a selection at different prices on their website - excellent service.
We had a guy on a bike come round the corner on our side if the road the other week, how he managed to avoid us killing him had to be admired, but I said to DH 'Thank God we had the dashcam' at the time.