Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Nov 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Watching the news about mothercares demise brings back many memories of when the girls were born. No online shops, or much choice.

Terri nappies and plastic pants, a box for your goodies.

Here’s a few pictures from my mummy baby days

And finally not mothercare but my lovely silver-cross pram, that was passed around my family and neighbours for many years. Looked like this

This was the pram I had for my two. It got passed on to one sister then on to our youngest sister. They made things to last back then.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I am really feeling totes emosh looking at this thread.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I am really feeling totes emosh looking at this thread.
It really is frightening how life has gone by in a flash Sue😲
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’m 55 but still used to buy a lot from Mothercare, all the baby grows and little outfits. My kids used to pick toys from there when they were a bit older. Lots of arty crafty stuff and books when we went shopping. There won’t be any shops left soon!
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Being the last one in my family and friends group to have a baby I had very little to buy for DD. I think that the sum total was 1 babygro from Mothercare. I was snowed under with everything else, cot, pram, baby clothes, even maternity wear. Very handy at the time.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
My friend had a very premature baby son, about 40 now, and I bought baby clothes for him on a card, like doll outfits!
We had the carry cot in blue, and it sat on a table in front of the patio doors, as my eldest son had jaundice and needed sunlight, but it was January and too cold for the garden.

We never had proper straps in the car for it, just bungee cords to hold it in. Shocking!
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
I had a green Silver Cross pram for my eldest 2 which was so well made it was left in the shop until after my daughter was born as it was considered bad luck to have it in the house before the baby was born.
I had a blue carrycot which was given to me by a neighbour my mum bought the nappies which I think we're Zorba gold and I used to love seeing them on the washing line.
I remember the dungarees too my daughter had a red pair and my son had a few pairs in different colours.
I bought most of my maternity clothes from C&A in Chester.
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
not2old4disney
slightly serious Dibber

I'm 'only' 37 but I remember shopping in Mothercare a lot for DS1 when he was born - he was a preemie and they were one of the very few places we could get clothes small enough to actually fit him!

We also had the silver cross coach built pram, it was handed down to us from my aunt and uncle and I loved taking the kids out for walks in it! Definitely not practical when using the car though
not2old4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
My friend had a very premature baby son, about 40 now, and I bought baby clothes for him on a card, like doll outfits!
We had the carry cot in blue, and it sat on a table in front of the patio doors, as my eldest son had jaundice and needed sunlight, but it was January and too cold for the garden.

We never had proper straps in the car for it, just bungee cords to hold it in. Shocking!
My second was very premature and we had to do the same, we used dolls clothes and had to cut up the full size nappies into smaller squares. :

I know, we just “wedged” in the carry cot and used rope. One of the more positive advancements.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
We had the same carrycot but it had special straps to attach it to the seat. Used it until my baby boy, now 40, sat up and climbed out. Bought a Kiddie baby seat then, no padding, just hard plastic with a plastic liner. By the time he was 3 he was in a Brittax booster seat.

We had nothing in the house before he was born, Silver Cross pram was kept by the shop and could be refunded if things went wrong. DH left after DS was born to rush to our nearest Mothercare with a list the hospital gave us. the cot, baby duvet with covers and bumpers all came later from John Lewis and we still have them, although didn’t use them for grandchildren due to changes in safety regulations and new mattress sizes.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List