Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 21 Nov 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Disney Magic Vs Disney Dream

For those that have sailed on the dream/fantasy and the wonder/magic how do you find the size difference?

Do you prefer the larger ships or miss aspects of them?
Does it feel calmer with less passengers onboard?
Maintenance wise does it make any difference that the smaller ships are older?
Is there any major differences that I should consider?

I'm impatiently waiting now for the summer '21 itineraries to be release after a change of plans. We have just sailed on the Dream and will be booking the Magic.

Thanks.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by magickate View Post
For those that have sailed on the dream/fantasy and the wonder/magic how do you find the size difference?
So I sailed on the Dream for the first time in September and have sailed on both the Magic (most recently in 2017) and the Wonder previously. I personally prefer the smaller ships but then again some of my reasons might have been actually more due to the shorter itinerary (haven't done a 4 night since 2005 before September).

What I like about the smaller ships:
  • Easier to orientate
  • Nothing seems too far away
  • Staff seem to get to know you more (but this might be due to the length of the itinerary)
  • Restaurants although busy don't seem as crowded (the Dream seemed to have tables squigged in together which I never felt like on the Magic)
  • Pools seemed the same size as on the Dream but because there were less people it was easier to use
  • Didn't seem as manic whereas on the Dream it often felt like people were rushing around especially after the show on the way to dinner

What I liked about the Dream:[*]More activities and venues to experience[*]Spa area was nicer but then it was also so crowded I ended up leaving after an hour so it was also a negative[*]Secrete portholes in the inside rooms were really fun[*]Midship detective agency[*]Mini golf

Maintenance wise does it make any difference that the smaller ships are older?
Personally I don't think so. I've saw issues on the Dream and on the Magic but they are always dealt with quickly. All ships have quite frequent rennovations and so nothing seems too outdated.

Is there any major differences that I should consider?
My main thing is always length and route. Ship wise they aren't that different but I definitely felt that the bigger ship was huge compared to the Magic. I guess its like comparing Disney Land and Disney World.
Old 25 Nov 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Magic definitely!

The Dream is busy busy busy manic manic manic as the cruises are so short.
Old 25 Nov 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Did the Balti this year for 7 nights on the Magic and have done shorter irineries on the Msgic, Wonder and Dream before. We prefer the smaller ships. I was worried our DS might not be as happy on the Magic with smaller kids clubs but it didn't make a difference to him. Magic certainly felt less crowded even though full. Didn't have any issues with maintenance. We found the food better on the Magic but I know that is subjective.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List