Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 May 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Not what you asked but I put in a claim with Nationwide Travel Insurance on Weds this week for a reasonable amount of loss.

Settled within 20 mins flat.

If they are the same for Home Insurance that's brilliant service
Thanks.
Unfortunately just quote from NW - £499. Still over twice what Halifax is quoting.
I just dont understand the variance.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

I have my home insurance with Halifax and have done for 10 years. I do the price comparisons and then call Halifax with the price and they have always matched like for like.

I have never had to claim, but I have claimed on the Travel Insurance I have though Halifax (although it is underwritten by AXA), they have been great.

That is also a really good price, I currently pay £600
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Carolynmf
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I have my house insurance with marks and Spencer after it was recommended by Which. It has unlimited cover and was half the amount I was previously paying. They also do it as a monthly direct debit with no additional charge so no lump sum to find.
Carolynmf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Thanks.
Unfortunately just quote from NW - £499. Still over twice what Halifax is quoting.
I just dont understand the variance.
And I have just realised that the NW quote doesn't include accidental cover, Home Emergency, Legal, Matching Items & Garden cover which the Halifax does.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I flit between M & S and Axa. Both reasonable but it’s the ‘all risks’ on valuables outside the home that always bumps it up.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
spinone lover
Excited about Disney

Not what you asked but I put in a claim with Nationwide Travel Insurance on Weds this week for a reasonable amount of loss.

Settled within 20 mins flat.

If they are the same for Home Insurance that's brilliant service
If you don’t mind me asking, how many days are you allowed to be away in one trip.
spinone lover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I flit between M & S and Axa. Both reasonable but it’s the ‘all risks’ on valuables outside the home that always bumps it up.
It is. I have two Omega watches and my OG has various rungs that sit outside the individual values normally covered so have to be specified.
Old 8 May 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by spinone lover View Post
If you don’t mind me asking, how many days are you allowed to be away in one trip.
All the quotes I have received today are up to 60 days. Though there seems to be options for longer. I haven't looked at these so have no idea what impact they have on cost.

UPDATE - I mis read the 60 day thing - most are 31 days

Edited at 01:15 PM.
Old 9 May 20, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by spinone lover View Post
Morning. Sorry I missed this last night. Do you mean the travel policy?

Edit. If you do mean the actual travel policy this is it:-

Is your trip for more than 31 days?This policy covers you for trips of up to 31 days. If your trip is longer you can purchase a Trip Extension Upgrade. This must be done before your departure from the UK.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:48 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Just by way of an update, I have spent some time going through the Halifax Ultimate (and other) home insurance details.
On paper, the Halifax seems to provide better insurance than others in pretty much every respect. Higher limits and lower excesses. And in particular, their specified items limit is £3000. Most are between £1500 and £2500. So this reduces the number of items I need to specifically declare.
It includes many items that others have as addons - e.g. garden stuff, bikes.

The only negative I can see is that I cant see where it provides insurance against identity theft that some offer.

It is underwritten by Lloyds - so that is pretty secure.

So all in all, it seems to win out on both highest level of cover and lowest price.

Obviously it is all meaningless if they handle claims badly. But that is the same for any company.