Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 20, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Are there any other beach places you’d recommend? Sorry I feel like I’ve drained you of all west coast knowledge the past few days thank you sooo much!
And just to say, not at all, I’m just conscious I’m very budget focused and I see most Dibbers stay in places I wouldn’t (because I prefer to travel more often and stay in cheaper places) so I hesitate to push places which may not meet what you’re after. It’s only by being so tight with accommadation and flights we went twice in twelve months.
Old 28 May 20, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I think my previous choices might be too low budget for you but we loved Queen Kapiolani which has sea views (if you pay), lovely staff, lovely quiet location but easy walking distance to the restaurants you’ve mentioned, 150 yards to the beach etc. I’m sure I recently saw a deal on Travelzoo which had five nights for about $500 but I might have dreamt that! The year before we had an apartment on floor 25 on Kuhio Avenue and the noise was awful, so the peace was very welcome!

It’s a two minute walk to a ‘must do’ casual eatery - Lulus
The Queen Kapiolani looks fab and is so reasonable compared to some of the other hotels I’ve seen! We are definitely all for saving a few pennies on a holiday like this I honestly think I was a bit blinded into thinking all of the ‘good’ hotels were £300+ a night and had just resigned ourselves to paying that, when that is clearly not the case. I think I must have been choosing particularly expensive dummy weeks too as I’ve found others a lot cheaper today on different dates. I would love it if the Royal Hawaiian you mentioned had a super deal on as I think that one is so beautiful!

Just had a look at Lulu’s, that’s definitely going on the list
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

And just to say, not at all, I’m just conscious I’m very budget focused and I see most Dibbers stay in places I wouldn’t (because I prefer to travel more often and stay in cheaper places) so I hesitate to push places which may not meet what you’re after. It’s only by being so tight with accommadation and flights we went twice in twelve months.
We are exactly the same. I live for holidays and like to go as much as possible!

I’m looking to push the boat out a bit more than usual here for our honeymoon but I know I’ll be researching for weeks and weeks to find the best deals I am just so glad we have the dibb as you’ve made me realise Waikiki isn’t as expensive as I first thought, and we’re also going to get a condo rather than hotel in Maui
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

Believe it or not I am like you

It was only because on the two occasions was a special birthday the following a special anniversary

Normally if Florida we stay off site in LBV just cheap as know out of room a lot

Like you say I would rather holiday more in cheaper good places to have more holidays
Old 29 May 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

The Queen Kapiolani looks fab and is so reasonable compared to some of the other hotels I’ve seen! We are definitely all for saving a few pennies on a holiday like this I honestly think I was a bit blinded into thinking all of the ‘good’ hotels were £300+ a night and had just resigned ourselves to paying that, when that is clearly not the case. I think I must have been choosing particularly expensive dummy weeks too as I’ve found others a lot cheaper today on different dates. I would love it if the Royal Hawaiian you mentioned had a super deal on as I think that one is so beautiful!

Just had a look at Lulu’s, that’s definitely going on the list
Look at trivago to compare prices just to give you an indication (I do not book with companies do not know

Also say hotels .com you find a hotel. Check on voucher codes to see if discount (we got Waikiki beach a lot cheaper than direct last time). I have noticed prices have def increased since last went not sure if because of exchange rate

You are def right book on cancellation only with what has gone on recently

Edited at 08:38 AM.
Eeyorefanuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
Look at trivago to compare prices just to give you an indication (I do not book with companies do not know

Also say hotels .com you find a hotel. Check on voucher codes to see if discount (we got Waikiki beach a lot cheaper than direct last time). I have noticed prices have def increased since last went not sure if because of exchange rate

You are def right book on cancellation only with what has gone on recently
I love trivago it’s so useful I think the problem I’ve had is that not all hotels have released rates for my dates yet so those that are released are high, and the dummy dates I chose to begin with were also high, so I was being tricked! I’ve done some more digging now and I think we can hopefully bring the costs down.

I like hotels .com too, especially for the rewards when you’re a member!
Old 29 May 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dcmax
Imagineer

Not quite the same but we did Hawaii cruise and then Disney last year Blog here

We used NCLs Pride of America as its the only ship to do the full intensive 7 day trip week in and week out - so no time wasted sailing from LA or Seattle/Vancouver etc. It was brilliant and as a first time visit you can work which islands you like to return too.. Highlights were Whales in Maui and the open door helicopters on Kauai (recreate Jurassic parks landing)

Air BnB in Oahu was good and reasonable -- In La previously we have rented Bugalows in Laguna - they were excellent and its a great Beach area outside LA link here

Newports quite nice as well especially if you like seafood - The Crab Cooker is an institution in its own right

Lax hotels we used the Embassy Suites South LAX which was superb (though far to big a room for us - its like an apartment)

My biggy recommendation though is Air New Zealands Heathrow to LAX service - book economy but buy a Sky Couch - bigger bed than business and best sleep I have ever had on an aircraft..

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Trip Reports

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Restaurant Reports

July 91 WDW...July 92 DL CA...July 93 DL CA...Feb 97 DLP...Feb 02 DLP...Xmas 03 DLP...Xmas 04 WDW...Oct 05 WDW...Xmas 05 DL CA...March 06 DLP ...Nov 06 WDW... Xmas 06 DLP... Apr 07 WDW... Nov 07 DL CA ...Dec/Jan 07/08 DLP... Mar 08 WDW.. Jun 08 DLP.. Mar 09 DL HK

Edited at 03:26 PM.
dcmax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

We are exactly the same. I live for holidays and like to go as much as possible!

I’m looking to push the boat out a bit more than usual here for our honeymoon but I know I’ll be researching for weeks and weeks to find the best deals I am just so glad we have the dibb as you’ve made me realise Waikiki isn’t as expensive as I first thought, and we’re also going to get a condo rather than hotel in Maui
I’m keeping it all crossed you can get the Royal Hawaii’an - it’s just got such a wonderful feeling of having been there forever and the staff are super (though we have always had the most wonderful welcome from everyone in Hawaii, hospitality is amazing).

Dcmax - unfortunately ANZ announced months ago that they were stopping the LHR to LAX Route, I think October was the last flight originally. Kind of suspect the pandemic will have meant none will restart though. Such a shame as we had really wanted to try them (though I remember being put off by the flight times).
Old 29 May 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dcmax View Post
Not quite the same but we did Hawaii cruise and then Disney last year Blog here

We used NCLs Pride of America as its the only ship to do the full intensive 7 day trip week in and week out - so no time wasted sailing from LA or Seattle/Vancouver etc. It was brilliant and as a first time visit you can work which islands you like to return too.. Highlights were Whales in Maui and the open door helicopters on Kauai (recreate Jurassic parks landing)

Air BnB in Oahu was good and reasonable -- In La previously we have rented Bugalows in Laguna - they were excellent and its a great Beach area outside LA link here

Newports quite nice as well especially if you like seafood - The Crab Cooker is an institution in its own right

Lax hotels we used the Embassy Suites South LAX which was superb (though far to big a room for us - its like an apartment)

My biggy recommendation though is Air New Zealands Heathrow to LAX service - book economy but buy a Sky Couch - bigger bed than business and best sleep I have ever had on an aircraft..
Thanks for the tips

I would love to do a cruise around all the islands but I’m not sure I want to risk booking one in the current climate Definitely something we’d do in the future though.

I’ve never heard of the sky couch before. Just had a quick google - looks interesting - will check it out for our dates when they’re released! Update: just seen the route is being suspended
Old 29 May 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

I’m keeping it all crossed you can get the Royal Hawaii’an - it’s just got such a wonderful feeling of having been there forever and the staff are super (though we have always had the most wonderful welcome from everyone in Hawaii, hospitality is amazing).

Dcmax - unfortunately ANZ announced months ago that they were stopping the LHR to LAX Route, I think October was the last flight originally. Kind of suspect the pandemic will have meant none will restart though. Such a shame as we had really wanted to try them (though I remember being put off by the flight times).
Thank you, me too! I will certainly update the post and let you all know where we pick

We’re considering the option of potentially fitting in universal the other side of Hawaii now... will I ever make a decision