Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Jul 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile Help please - daughter 22 going to Rhodes

Hi all. Just after a little guidance please.
Dd22 is this year going in her first proper holiday with her friends to Rhodes in September.
Obviously at that age they plan their own stuff but especially with everything going on I’m trying to make sure they have thought of everything.

Is there special insurance now? I made her search travel insurance - which they don’t have - and she said none cover COVID.
Also I have just seen on another thread about some form travellers to greece need to complete. Her friends haven’t mentioned anything so I am sure they don’t know.
I don’t want to butt in but I want to make sure everything is covered and their holiday goes as smooth as possible. She is diabetic so don’t want any added stress.
Any tips/help greatly appreciated.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

As a minimum she needs medical insurance, preferably with Covid medical cover. Unlikely you will get a policy with Covid cancellation cover.

Currently any travellers to Greece have to complete an online application up to 72 hours before travel. Who knows what it will be by September.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Yes , she will have been sent a link by her airline . It needs to be completed 48 hours ahead minimum but can be done now. There’s a similar form for re entering the U.K. on gov.uk website.
Greece are random testing a certain number on each flight on arrival (swab not blood test) and holiday makers tested have to self isolate for 24 hours . If the test is positive they will be moved to a quarantine hotel where they must stay in their room for a week or two weeks (they retest after a week)
Although it hasn’t happened yet the Greek government have also said you *could* be quarantined if seated near a positive tester on your flight.
The Greek government pays for hotel and food at the quarantine hotel and all medical expenses if they get Covid.
Obviously as diabetic she needs travel insurance to cover everything else except Covid (She must declare her medical history or it’ll invalidate the insurance) and I’m sure she knows diabetics are at higher risk .

Edited at 11:13 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Form is at travel.gov.gr/#/
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for all replies. Does anyone know of any travel insurance that do cover Covid? When I told her she said all the ones she found on google said don’t cover COVID. Thing is young ones when they go don’t think they need stuff - I had to book travel insurance for DS when he went as none of his friends had insurance so he wasn’t going to! Good job I did as he ended up in hospital in the first night drinking too much and collapsed round pool 🙈!
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
Thanks for all replies. Does anyone know of any travel insurance that do cover Covid? When I told her she said all the ones she found on google said don’t cover COVID. Thing is young ones when they go don’t think they need stuff - I had to book travel insurance for DS when he went as none of his friends had insurance so he wasn’t going to! Good job I did as he ended up in hospital in the first night drinking too much and collapsed round pool 🙈!
Try moneysavingexpert.com. I think Martin Lewis was talking about companies that will this week.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I think I have seen mentioned insure and go cover Covid-19

Even if her mates dont have the full insurance, please please make sure she has full cover
We all know when we are young we are infallible , but my stepson had to be medivacced from Australia and I am so glad I nagged him to get insurance and we would have been looking at a possible £10K+ flight ( he had to stay lying down the whole flight)
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
AL1S0N
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
Staysure are now covering covid!
AL1S0N is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Check the insurance terms carefully, since there are several variations of policy cover for those that “include” Covid-19.

Apart from some covering only medical and others (fewer) also cancellation, the cover on some policies may only apply if the FCO advice allowed non-essential travel to the destination at time of booking, as well as time of travel.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 20, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all. She is very sensible but has never been away with her friends and her friend booked it but she doesn’t know if any insurance was included! And doesn’t appear to want to ask her friend if it is - oh my! So now I am frantically searching policies to check if Covid covered and existing medical conditions.