Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Aug 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Nope, mine are 17 and 13, both girls. We do the washing and ironing. If they want extra ironing after ive put it away then they do their own. However i restrict the amount of clothes they wear as for some reason they decide to change clothes halfway through a day or couple of times a day at one point and it looked like a months worth of clothes by end of week. If i get that amount i wont iron it at all so they get the picture.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
honeybun1989
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m clearly in the minority!
I iron just about everything .
I quite like ironing and iron most days for myself, husband, adult children (24 & 30) and my mum and dad as my mum has dementia and isn’t able to do it herself now ..
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

I only iron DD’s Scout shirt, my leaders uniform and all our neckers.

If they want anything else then they can do it. They don’t.

I do see your DD’s point though. She’s having to learn a really boring task a few years younger than you expected her brother to. Is her dock in pocket money a response to her reaction or a threat against not ironing? I’m sure at 14 she’s a bit more volatile than her older brother but it’s worth chatting with her and explaining this wasn’t a deliberate decision to have her to this at 14 when her brother didn’t have to until he was 17, more a thought in the moment and you wanted to kill two birds with one stone.
Old 17 Aug 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Another that does very little ironing, that being said, I don't make anyone do ironing or anything else for that matter in the house - but equally I don't do it for them,

There is a bit of trading going on with tasks from time to time, but there is no arguments in the household everyone know if they want something doing they do it themselves.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post

I am another that rarely irons anything these days. I cannot remember when I started to do my own ironing as a teenager, but yours do sound old enough to do their own ironing if they want to wear ironed clothes.

Your daughter does seem to be being a bit difficult over chores at the moment, but on this particular point, I can see why she would be in a huff about having to take on her own ironing three years sooner than her brother did.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
The job I do if I didn't get the shirts ironed I would probably end up with considerably less holiday money
I have a very senior client facing job. I left home at 17 and haven’t owned an iron since. Definitely hasn’t held me back
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I do get where your daughter is coming from and it does seem a little unfair when her brother hasn't had to start ironing until he was several years older.

As a fully untrained psychologist I feel that you may have perhaps jumped in with both feet and your negative reaction created a negative mirror reaction. You not only gave your son preferential treatment by not expecting him to iron until he was several years older than your daughter, but you then threaten to take her pocket money away.

I think you should apologise to your daughter because parents aren't always right all of the time, and I'm sure she will appreciate your honesty and also learn that it's healthy to admit when you're at fault.
I probably should but I never have made either of my kids iron or do chores or anything.
My dd will help me but I hate asking her as she will ask me would I ask her brother - which I wouldn’t. N not for any sexist reason but I know if I asked her to do it she would do it proper but he wouldn’t.
She says myself and my husband have not set my son up well as a future husband as he probably will not do anything to help around the house because he has never been asked to help nor has he very often seen my husband help with stuff like that.
Way to go making me feel like a failure as a parent ☹️
Ellelledee is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

No... i think they are house wifes long enough..
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
No... i think they are house wifes long enough..
Only if they choose to be.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yesterday I came home to the house cleaned and tidied right through, all the washing done, dried and ironed. I think this daughter of mine needs to get back to school !
The only thing I wish she wouldn’t do is rearrange my kitchen cupboards !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List